Ace3166

BYOD Coming?

Seen a post on USCC's facebook page asking about bringing your own device. this was a USCC reps answer.

U.S. Cellular Thanks for reaching out today Joe. We are currently unable to use an unlocked device on our network. However, we are working on a process to allow this capability. Do you have a device from a separate carrier that you want to use on our network? ^Anna, USCC Social Team

Hmm... Maybe there is a chance we will be able to use Nexus/Google Play Edition devices w/ USC in the future.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

It won't be GSM unlocked or GSM carrier phones I'll bet tho. Only like a sprint or VZW one *maybe*.

That's my guess.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

It won't be GSM unlocked or GSM carrier phones I'll bet tho. Only like a sprint or VZW one *maybe*.

That's my guess.

I thought it was already possible to use Verizon devices on the USCC networks (unlocked LTE models with sim slots anyway)

Desperate attempt to stop them from falling apart. That's all I see that as. But he if they give my that option I might ride the ship to the bottom

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

That's my guess.

I thought it was already possible to use Verizon devices on the USCC networks (unlocked LTE models with sim slots anyway)

Only if you know how to do it, and to activate it on the network (on USCC's end) you have to have a ESN from a uscc phone (which can be illegal to do) - and that will NEVER give you full service.  Unlocked LTE models are still GSM models only they have LTE capability, they still arent CDMA devices.

You'll never have calls, data, sms, mms, 4G LTE, 3G, everything on any network with a different carrier device.  Not until the networks allow it.

You CAN use a vzw phone on uscc, but youll have one thing and not the other, like calling and sms might work, but not LTE, or the other way around.

I agree 100% that it would be nice, and SHOULD absolutely be done, but it remains to be see whether they'll do that or not,

That's my guess.

Only if you know how to do it, and to activate it on the network (on USCC's end) you have to have a ESN from a uscc phone (which can be illegal to do) - and that will NEVER give you full service.  Unlocked LTE models are still GSM models only they have LTE capability, they still arent CDMA devices.

You'll never have calls, data, sms, mms, 4G LTE, 3G, everything on any network with a different carrier device.  Not until the networks allow it.

You CAN use a vzw phone on uscc, but youll have one thing and not the other, like calling and sms might work, but not LTE, or the other way around.

I agree 100% that it would be nice, and SHOULD absolutely be done, but it remains to be see whether they'll do that or not,

You got it backwards. You can use a USCC phone on VZW but LTE won't work. It can't be done the other way. USCC only allows USCC phones (aside from N6/iPhone).

They've been "working on that" since 2012.

I wouldn't get too excited about anything happening anytime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Does anyone know if uscc and Verizon work together for sure. It seems like they are competing in my area. I live in North Carolina and we have a service here called Carolina West and a lesser called bark mobile. Actually I think Verizon works with Carolina West and bark but not with uscc as Verizon, Carolina West and bark has 4g while uscc stuck on 3g. I'm just assuming Carolina west works off Verizon towers as for a small company like Carolina West to have 4g before uscc

Does anyone know if uscc and Verizon work together for sure. It seems like they are competing in my area. I live in North Carolina and we have a service here called Carolina West and a lesser called bark mobile. Actually I think Verizon works with Carolina West and bark but not with uscc as Verizon, Carolina West and bark has 4g while uscc stuck on 3g. I'm just assuming Carolina west works off Verizon towers as for a small company like Carolina West to have 4g before uscc

What do you mean work together?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

^^

What he said.

Idk what that means? They have a roaming agreement for voice and 3G, but not LTE (that were aware of currently) - if that's what you mean?

I live just north of you in Virginia. I know here where I am USCC will roam onto Verizon but it doesn't happen often. When I'm in North Carolina (Mt. AIry area) my Pageplus phone roams on Carolina West, I have LTE and texting from my buckets but minutes are charged the roaming charge. I know at least in Surry that Verizon does not have any towers. When traveling from Virginia into North Carolina at the state line it automatically switches from Verizon to the Extended Network.

Edited by kresston

If only we were a gsm banded carrier. Being a veteran there is one incredible offer and if you are an American legion member there is a 10% discount on top of this. Yes that is 12gb for under $100 and bring your own device if it is gsm.. Or maybe nexus 6... ;).

df082f362a97caacef97c5c4dcad4615.jpg

I mean we could switch but would have to get new devices...

Edited by dBuster

Back in the 3G era it was rather easy to do.. Now in the 4G era things are more difficult..

But I do have a question that maybe someone can answer because I could swear others have said you can't take an old sim card from a previous phone and use it in a new one.

I called into have my new G4 activated last week to replace my F7 and the rep asked if I wanted to use my old sim card or a new one. I said I got a new one with my new phone so no need to jack with that.. 

The new unlocked phone was activated without any problems.. Still getting used to it though.. I did find the World phone capability to be cool feature for traveling though..

As long as the phones use the same size sim card, they can absolutely be reused - USCC just sends a new one no matter what because I think it's cheaper to send a new one, needed or not, just in case.  

I have reused old ones without any issues, they just need the number on it so it can be paired to the phone on their end.

I'm from Wilkes County and am familiar with Carolina West, USCC, and Verizon.  Several of my buddies are on Carolina West.

Carolina West will roam on Verizon as its top priority, but if there is no Verizon (which happens in some places around the fringe) it will roam on USCC.  Because of this, your LTE will work with Verizon towers, but there is no Verizon/USCC LTE sharing, so when you switch to the lower-priority USCC towers you can only get 3G.  And yes, USCC will roam on Verizon towers but there is no 4G and speeds are very slow.

USCC's 4G is extremely lacking in that part of the state.  I'm on 3G at my parents' house, and then when I go to Ashe County or Boone I am roaming (on Verizon).  No USCC coverage at all.  That's why my buddies up around there have Carolina West instead of USCC.  

The only problem is that makes rooting/modding essentially impossible for them, as the stock firmware is not available anywhere.  It's SO sad because they are IT professionals, programmers and network administrators, and would love to hop on the mod scene, but can't risk breaking their phone to try.  And with only like 3 people willing to start trying with no experience, there is no hope of any advanced dev community forming.

Edited by BoгИX

Just curious but do you think that the nexus 5x that is rumored to come out tomorrow will be able to be activated on US Cellular if i could manage to get my hands on it within the couple of seconds it will probably sell out in. I heard mixed input on whether the nexus 6 from the playstore could be activated.

The N6 from ANY carrier (including unlocked) can be activated on uscc.

Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

As for the new one, idk, uscc hasn't said they're carrying it, it hasn't been made public that it will be on uscc, so... Until that happens I can't say.

Edit:

Apparently no carrier will be selling it in stores for a while. Google only, and the FCC specs indicate it can be used on any/all of the Big 4, so... I'd say it probably can.

Until someone tries it on uscc we can't know. But, probably.

I just activated a Nexus 6 (2014) last week. It was super easy. I walked into the store and told them I needed to activate it and 40 minutes later it was on the network. The only reason it took that long is that the USCC rep made a typo in the ESN so we had to start over. I dont know why people say they have trouble with the N6, for me at least, it was super easy. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come and they'll allow BYOD.

Depends what phone it is. You can and you can't. Your lack of information doesn't help us answer.

Here's an interesting discovery:

I put my USCC SIM-card into a Verizon iPhone, that isn't registered on USCC network (ESN is not in the database). I got LTE and 3G EVDO data working, but voice wouldn't work. It would say that I'm roaming and I can add credit to my account. It looks like data uses SIM-card to get authorized on the network, and voice needs ESN. Hopefully, at some point USCC will have VoLTE and let people use any phone but only on LTE. 

I also put a SIM-card into Moto E 2015 Verizon, and I got EVDO data, that was counting towards my USCC account, but voice wouldn't work. I wasn't able to get LTE to work, and it looks like some bands are just disabled. After putting my USCC SIM into non-CDMA device, I wasn't able to register in LTE network (the device supports band 5/17). I think, that the network wants a customer to be registered on CDMA before it lets the device on LTE, which is completely unnecessary. I was able to register devices on LTE data-only network with android device, and the company didn't have any GSM/CDMA/3G network at all. So, LTE was enough. I wish USCC would let people on the network even if the device has no CDMA.