doctorcaligari

KitKat 4.4.3 for Moto X delayed in favor of 4.4.4

Motorola probably pulled everyone for the Moto 360 announcement next week, leaving us hat-in-hand. In the meantime, we should drunk dial them at 3 in the morning and send them text messages stating how bad we want 4.4.4...

Motorola probably pulled everyone for the Moto 360 announcement next week, leaving us hat-in-hand. In the meantime, we should drunk dial them at 3 in the morning and send them text messages stating how bad we want 4.4.4...

Moto 360 looks awesome

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Called both US Cellular and Motorola today. Got pretty much the same response from both. It will be coming out soon, tried pushing for more and couldn't get anywhere. So pretty much pointless.

I read somewhere on some random blog that US Cellular was the one holding up the soak. However, I can't authenticate the veracity of it, and I have not seen another confirmation from another source.

That's interesting, what could they be holding up the soak test for I wonder? As far as I know there wasn't any problems with any of the other carriers.

Now that the new moto x is out I'm willing to bet that we won't be seeing the 4.4.4 update. Still hopeful we will be getting the android l update though.

Edited by kobester

I'd say your right. Motorola said that the original X would get all the new features of the new X that wasn't hardware dependent. I would assume they will update the original X to android L also. That and they seem to be trying to follow Google's guidelines and Google recommends updates for 2 years.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

I'd say your right. Motorola said that the original X would get all the new features of the new X that wasn't hardware dependent.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

I hope that includes the new Active Notifications where you can pick which notification to go to. One nit pick I have with the X, when I have different notifications at one time. 

Déjà vu.

2012: The USCC Motorola Electrify never got a promised upgrade to 4.0 ICS. In fairness to USCC, other carrier’s upgrades also got axed by Motorola back in September 2012.

2013-2014: The USCC Motorola Electrify M is “presumably” still in the queue to get 4.4 KitKit (has been for the past almost 12 months). Verizon’s RAZR M sibling phone got its update in May. I highly doubt we’ll ever see it at this point. Both Motorola and USCC are incommunicative on this lag.

Given that the Moto X is a “flagship” device similar to larger carrier’s Moto X devices, I would hope that USCC's device will see more updates. But for whatever reason, USCC devices tend to lag in getting updates, if they even get more than one update.

My two USCC Android devices (one being an HTC) got just one update after the initial release and that was it. If getting timely and regular updates for Android devices is important to you, having the smartphone through USCC trends in being an exercise in frustration.Given that neither USCC nor manufactures ever communicate much about updates, it’s impossible to know where to direct anger.

Here’s an interesting article published just today that puts Motorola in a positive spotlight:

Android upgrades simplified: Which manufacturers can you trust?

So according to the rep I just spoke to with Motorola they are testing the update. I was also told that if I expect timely updates from Motorola I should look at switching to another carrier as USCC has always been tough to get their updates through to the customers. And as if to echo that the USCC employee I was speaking to earlier today about a different problem mentioned to me that they 2013 Moto X has reached end of life with them. When I asked what that meant I was told software and hardware support would be limited.

I was speaking to earlier today about a different problem mentioned to me that they 2013 Moto X has reached end of life with them. When I asked what that meant I was told software and hardware support would be limited.

Hearing this doesn’t surprise me with USCC.

If USCC and Motorola handle further updates to the X like they have the Electrify M, there will be no more updates for the 2013 X – even though the official Motorola site indicates an update is coming.

Limited to no service after the sale from USCC.

Very frustrating seeing other carriers continue to get updates while USCC devices are abandoned on an old OS after just one update and in about the first three months or so.

USCC is not the carrier to choose if keeping your device current is important to you.

This comment thread popped up on Reddit over the weekend in /r/MotoX: http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2jlmh9/us_cellular_still_hasnt_pushed_444_the_other/clczvho

A user states that he works for US Cellular, and that they have had problems pushing out the update due to unknown issues that USCC and Motorola couldn't figure out. In reading one of his responses, I am not sure if he is talking about having problems with brand new phones not going from 4.2.2 to 4.4.2 out of the box, or if he is specifically talking about going from 4.4.2. to 4.4.4. 

Original parent thread here: http://www.reddit.com/r/MotoX/comments/2jlmh9/us_cellular_still_hasnt_pushed_444_the_other/

Yes, but that doesn't mean that USCC has to approve Lollipop for us, unfortunately. That's where the "...pending partner support." line comes into play.

It has always been my hope that we could go from 4.4.2 straight to 5.0, and we still may, but I'm not holding my breath until I see some soak test news for USCC.