Shufflejoy

[ROM] CyanogenMod 11 - SCH-R760

90 posts in this topic

#include
/*
* Your warranty is now likely void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* spontaneous combustion, or any other host of cosmic penalties
* which may befall you, your family, or your phone.
*/

In addition to working with dastin1015 to add initial support for SCH-R760 to his VILLUMINATI builds (which can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2540250), I have set up my own device tree for r760 and will be providing updates once a week or so, as dastin is quite busy.

These builds will have the exact same functionality as listed in the VILLUMINATI thread. The carrier eri.xml and MMS settings are all U.S. Cellular-specific, as these are SCH-R760 builds. Sprint update settings have been removed from the ROM. I also do not include Goomanager in my builds.

NOTE: If you get a 'status 7' error, or an assert error telling you that your device is d710, FLASH THIS FIRST. It will fix the error permanently.

cm-11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-r760: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3hv0dozqk3leha/cm-11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-r760.zip - md5sum

cm-11-20140702-UNOFFICIAL-r760: https://www.dropbox.com/s/atob8i10eyvkz3c/cm-11-20140702-UNOFFICIAL-r760.zip

cm-11-20140701-UNOFFICIAL-r760: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tx6byylvgadkms2/cm-11-20140701-UNOFFICIAL-r760.zip

Edited by Shufflejoy

To compile this ROM yourself, first, set up your development environment to build Android using instructions either from Google or the CyanogenMod wiki.

Then, run 

repo init -u git://github.com/Shufflejoy/android.git -b cm-11.0

in the directory you wish to sync the source to.

After that, run

repo sync

and the default manifest from my fork will automatically download the necessary device trees, Samsung Service Mode, vendor files, kernel, etc.

. build/envsetup.shlunch

and select the number for r760.

mka bacon

will build the ROM and package it as a .zip you can flash in recovery. This also generates an md5sum and renames the output zip to CM standard format (cm-11-DATE-UNOFFICIAL-r760.zip)

cout

will take you to the directory the .zip is stored, where you will find the .zip file.

Thanks goes to dastin1015 and Team Hydra for working with me on this, and CyanogenMod, AOSP, etc. for all of their hard work.

Edited by Shufflejoy

CHANGELOGS:

(Unless otherwise specified, all builds are also synced with CM upstream at build time)

2014-07-03: More cleanup, switched device trees to Team-Hydra repo since dastin1015's cleanup now matches mine; switched builds to 'mka bacon' to generate md5sum

2014-07-02: Device tree cleanup, changed "US Cellular" eri to "U.S. Cellular" to match CM11 Galaxy S4

2014-07-01: Initial build

Edited by Shufflejoy

Do we need to compile this or can it be flashed through recovery? If so, where would I get the proper recovery, and which version? Thank you for your help in advance.

Do we need to compile this or can it be flashed through recovery? If so, where would I get the proper recovery, and which version? Thank you for your help in advance.

The links in the first post are .zip files which you can flash via recovery. As for the safe recovery, follow the steps below to come from an older ROM or from stock to flash this CM11.

PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND ALL DIRECTIONS BEFORE CONTINUING

* Download this kernel tar

* Download Odin 1.85

* Download the file labelled "FLASH THIS FIRST" from the first post and place it on your phone's external SD card

* Download the Gapps listed for "CM 11.0" and "Android 4.4.x" from here and place them where you placed the cm-11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-r760-assertfix.zip

* Put your phone into Download Mode by powering off the phone, holding Volume Down while booting, and then pressing Volume Up on the warning screen that appears.

* Plug your phone into your laptop via USB.

* Run Odin 1.85

* Uncheck "Auto Reboot"

* Select the "PDA" button

* Select the CM-Kernel.tar file

* Select "Start"

* When Odin shows 'success', unplug the phone and remove and reinsert the battery

* Boot into Recovery Mode by powering on the phone while holding the Volume Up key

* Use the Volume Up and Down keys to navigate the menu, and the Power key to select an item

* Select 'Install zip'

* Select install a zip from sdcard0

* Navigate to where you placed the cm-11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-r760-assertfix.zip and Google Apps from earlier

* Select it, and it should install successfully

* At this point, you should factory reset the phone via recovery as well. The reason I am having you do this after flashing CM is because the stock firmware can apparently "superbrick" some Galaxy S2s on factory reset, effectively destroying the internal memory

* You are now free to reboot into CyanogenMod!

NOTE: Other guides on flashing ROMs, especially with newer AOSP versions, often have long, convoluted instructions based on installing an older kernel and 'working your way up' to newer versions of CWM recovery by flashing progressively newer ROMs. In these steps, I have packaged the boot.img from today's CM11 build into a format Odin can flash to the phone, meaning you will have the newest available version of CWM recovery from the get-go.

Edited by Shufflejoy

Sweet! will try that! thank you so much! Edit: I cannot for the life of me get the kernel to work. Odin says FAIL every time. Could I be doing something wrong?

Edited by jmccaughin

Sweet! will try that! thank you so much! Edit: I cannot for the life of me get the kernel to work. Odin says FAIL every time. Could I be doing something wrong?

I thought that might be an issue. I'll try something else, hold on a sec!

EDIT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdws5tjqzz226tl/KERNEL.tar

Please try this tar in place of the other one. If this doesn't work I'll have to rethink this a bit and try to walk through it without a device, or just wait to get home so I can do it with device in-hand.

Edited by Shufflejoy

That kernel worked!  I got the CM11 and gapps flashed successfully.  Now updating all of my apps.  thank you so very much for all your help!!!

That kernel worked!  I got the CM11 and gapps flashed successfully.  Now updating all of my apps.  thank you so very much for all your help!!

Awesome. I'll update the original guide post to include the new kernel link. Thanks for testing that process for me!

By the way, I'll be posting updates to this once a week, at least. My husband uses a Galaxy S II and this all came about from wanting him to get the latest upstream merges regularly.

I have an idea based on this post for an alternate version of this ROM that will diverge from 'stock' settings to be better, IMO, for the newer versions of Android.

Some of the ideas kicking in my head right now are: f2fs by default (which will mean a data wipe initially), ART JVM as default, interactive governor available & default, ROW scheduler default, reduced DPI as I feel there's not enough information on the screen, and, if possible, redoing the partition sizes. I dunno about y'all, but his phone is 'running low on storage' wayyy too often.

Edited by Shufflejoy

I just noticed that the newest Google Play isn't compatible with my S2. But so far so good other than that.

EDIT:  nevermind that comment, i indeed have the latest version 4.8.20 of the Google play store

Edited by jmccaughin

I was about to ask what you meant, haha! Glad it's working well for you. There is a known bug; when you are in a call, the proximity sensor won't automatically turn the screen off. A workaround is to manually turn it off, but I'll see if I can figure out what's causing it Sunday. Taking tomorrow off and Saturday I'm going out of state for a concert, so I hope y'all have an awesome weekend!

I think its an AOSP related bug for our device. CM9 / CM10 had the same issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Flashed fine with mobile Odin, running CM11 now and really digging it... Than you so much.

Flashed yours, replacing Dastins, running smooth with Art.  However I have no gyro, didn't with Dastin's either I am using the FL26 modem.  Should  I use a different one/do you know of one that is working?

Thanks for breathing some life into our phones!

A couple things I've noticed, no screen rotation and mic only works if screen is on

This is built from the same source as dastin's d710 builds. The only difference is that we made a device tree that overlays all the U.S. Cellular-specific settings and changes over the d710 code.

This is awesome, Wanted to thank you for this! I just updated my roommates SCH R760, and cyanogen works without a hitch.. however the gapps flash didnt go as well, i grabbed the version you suggested (the one i downloaded was gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip) from both goo.im and the one at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps (same filename, but slightly different filesize) flashed both and each time once the phone boots i get battered with 'unfortunately google blah has stopped' about 10 times, and play is not showing up amongst my apps.

Any ideas?

edit: fix here (http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/7110-rom-cyanogenmod-11-sch-r760/page-2#entry134419)

Edited by Blaine0002

Do the Gapps packages matter? Could you try new Gapps?

Yes gapps matters... I do like being able to install things through google play...

Anyways long story short is im dumb. After failing twice i tried to install PA Gapps (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2397942)

And while installing this installer actually notified me that i had 0 space left in my system folder!

Thats what i get for not doing a full reset (sigh) youd think the version cyanogen provides would give a similar error but nope.

Anyways, reformatted /system, installed OS again, flashed gapps and now im good to go!

I know that, lol. I meant that could you try a different Gapps package lol. I understand you need the play store.

Glad it worked!

note! pressing the 'sign in' button on snapchat restarts the phone.. any log files anywhere I can share?

Try clearing Snapchat data and our reinstalling it?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk