Shufflejoy

[ROM] CyanogenMod 11 - SCH-R760

90 posts in this topic

OK well please disregard the last post I managed to figure out the issue. I downloaded the wrong version, apparently the ROM with the known mic bug and rotation bug. Downloaded the one from xda forums that was linked to in the post and it works great and the bugs have been fixed! Just thought I would post and give a update.

OK well please disregard the last post I managed to figure out the issue. I downloaded the wrong version, apparently the ROM with the known mic bug and rotation bug. Downloaded the one from xda forums that was linked to in the post and it works great and the bugs have been fixed! Just thought I would post and give a update.

Dear Mr Joe,

Could you please help me flashing this ROM to my SCH-R760 by answering a few questions?

1. Which Samsung frimware were you running before installing this? Was it the FL26?

2. How did you root? With SRSRoot or another tool?

3. Do you have the eMMC brickbug? You can tell by using the "eMMC brickbug check" app from the play store. Under "Brick Bug?" it will either say "YES. Insane chip. " or "NO. Sane chip. "

Thanks in advance!

Well Hello Chismin13,

Welcome to the forums. I will be glad to try to help you out. I am very glad to offer advice on the forum as I needed advice myself not so long ago! 

I am still a newbie at this rooting thing but let me share with you me experience and how I did it on my end, I finally got it working! and I hope that you have good luck with it as well.  

1. I was running stock ICS FS26

2. I managed to root my phone by following the instructions on page 1 post # 5 under this topic.  Look at post #5, the one that Shufflejoy posted the instructions. That is what I used to root my phone and worked like a champ.  Once I had the phone rooted, I then downloaded the rom & gapps and away I went!. Follow the instructions first to obtain root! Once you have done so now download the rom from the xda forums here. 

http://d-h.st/Za8 & then the gapps from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23311191640114013.  

After rooting your phone, place these files on your external SD cart or internal storage. Boot into the recovery manager by holding down the up volume key and power at the same time. Find the files rom first and install it, then the gapps zip file and install that as well. Also factory reset the phone and reboot and hopefully it should work for you.  Read and re-read the instructions is what I did, following them it should be a breeze as I found that it was.  

3. Yes mine does say eMMC brickbug. Maybe I got lucky when flashing?

Hope that helps, let me know if the steps are not detailed enough and I will try to redo them. 

Thanks,

Joe

Well Hello Chismin13,

Welcome to the forums. I will be glad to try to help you out. I am very glad to offer advice on the forum as I needed advice myself not so long ago!

I am still a newbie at this rooting thing but let me share with you me experience and how I did it on my end, I finally got it working! and I hope that you have good luck with it as well.

1. I was running stock ICS FS26

2. I managed to root my phone by following the instructions on page 1 post # 5 under this topic. Look at post #5, the one that Shufflejoy posted the instructions. That is what I used to root my phone and worked like a champ. Once I had the phone rooted, I then downloaded the rom & gapps and away I went!. Follow the instructions first to obtain root! Once you have done so now download the rom from the xda forums here.

http://d-h.st/Za8 & then the gapps from here: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23311191640114013.

After rooting your phone, place these files on your external SD cart or internal storage. Boot into the recovery manager by holding down the up volume key and power at the same time. Find the files rom first and install it, then the gapps zip file and install that as well. Also factory reset the phone and reboot and hopefully it should work for you. Read and re-read the instructions is what I did, following them it should be a breeze as I found that it was.

3. Yes mine does say eMMC brickbug. Maybe I got lucky when flashing?

Hope that helps, let me know if the steps are not detailed enough and I will try to redo them.

Thanks,

Joe

Hello once again!

Thank you very much for your response, it has really helped me out! I can understand almost every step but I am not totally sure about the second one. What you meant was that you followed ShuffleJoy's instructions without having root and without downloading anything from XDA, only what is included here, and then once you were running CM 11 you installed the latest updates for the rom from XDA and the latest GApps as well? I hope so.

Also about response 3, it seems like the eMMc brickbug is not refered anywhere lately so to me it looks like it's all over now and there is no longer any risk. Just wanted to be sure about it.

Thank you once again very much for your help!

Chris.

Chris,

Glad the instructions have helped you. So let me see if I can make this simple, Look at post #5 on page 1. I downloaded the kernal.tar file, odin 1.85 & the cm-11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-r760-assertfix.zip file. I place the .zip file on the external or internal sd cart. Once doing that I then ran odin from my Windows PC. Once I did that I did the following. (These are the instructions provided by Shufflejoy which worked perfectly for me.)

* Put your phone into Download Mode by powering off the phone, holding Volume Down while booting, and then pressing Volume Up on the warning screen that appears.

* Plug your phone into your laptop via USB.

* Run Odin 1.85

* Uncheck "Auto Reboot"

* Select the "PDA" button

* Select the CM-Kernel.tar file

* Select "Start"

* When Odin shows 'success', unplug the phone and remove and reinsert the battery

* Boot into Recovery Mode by powering on the phone while holding the Volume Up key

* Use the Volume Up and Down keys to navigate the menu, and the Power key to select an item

* Select 'Install zip'

* Select install a zip from sdcard0

* Navigate to where you placed the cm-11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-r760-assertfix.zip and Google Apps from earlier

* Select it, and it should install successfully

* At this point, you should factory reset the phone via recovery as well. The reason I am having you do this after flashing CM is because the stock firmware can apparently "superbrick" some Galaxy S2s on factory reset, effectively destroying the internal memory

* You are now free to reboot into CyanogenMod!

Now you phone should book up just like normal except you will see a yellow triangle when booting, however you are now rooted. From here this is what I did.

Downloaded and copied the kit kat rom file from xda forum website to the sd card, http://d-h.st/Za8

Downloaded and copied the gapps from here to the sd card, https://www.androidf...11191640114013.

Now that you have them on the sd card reboot the phone into the recovery manager following the steps listed above. Once there browse to the the rom file first and install it, then the gapps zip file. From the recovery manger do a factory reset before rebooting and when you do you should be good to go. 

Do these steps make sence?  Pleae let us know how you get along!  So far I have not had any problems and my phone is much faster than the stock ICS firmware. 

Hope that helps!

Joe

Chris,

Glad the instructions have helped you. So let me see if I can make this simple, Look at post #5 on page 1. I downloaded the kernal.tar file, odin 1.85 & the cm-11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-r760-assertfix.zip file. I place the .zip file on the external or internal sd cart. Once doing that I then ran odin from my Windows PC. Once I did that I did the following. (These are the instructions provided by Shufflejoy which worked perfectly for me.)

* Put your phone into Download Mode by powering off the phone, holding Volume Down while booting, and then pressing Volume Up on the warning screen that appears.

* Plug your phone into your laptop via USB.

* Run Odin 1.85

* Uncheck "Auto Reboot"

* Select the "PDA" button

* Select the CM-Kernel.tar file

* Select "Start"

* When Odin shows 'success', unplug the phone and remove and reinsert the battery

* Boot into Recovery Mode by powering on the phone while holding the Volume Up key

* Use the Volume Up and Down keys to navigate the menu, and the Power key to select an item

* Select 'Install zip'

* Select install a zip from sdcard0

* Navigate to where you placed the cm-11-20140703-UNOFFICIAL-r760-assertfix.zip and Google Apps from earlier

* Select it, and it should install successfully

* At this point, you should factory reset the phone via recovery as well. The reason I am having you do this after flashing CM is because the stock firmware can apparently "superbrick" some Galaxy S2s on factory reset, effectively destroying the internal memory

* You are now free to reboot into CyanogenMod!

Now you phone should book up just like normal except you will see a yellow triangle when booting, however you are now rooted. From here this is what I did.

Downloaded and copied the kit kat rom file from xda forum website to the sd card, http://d-h.st/Za8

Downloaded and copied the gapps from here to the sd card, https://www.androidf...11191640114013.

Now that you have them on the sd card reboot the phone into the recovery manager following the steps listed above. Once there browse to the the rom file first and install it, then the gapps zip file. From the recovery manger do a factory reset before rebooting and when you do you should be good to go.

Do these steps make sence? Pleae let us know how you get along! So far I have not had any problems and my phone is much faster than the stock ICS firmware.

Hope that helps!

Joe

Hello Joe,

Thank you very much for your response. Everything is easy to understand. I will be trying it out soon, probably this weekend, and I will let you know how it goes.

Chris.

EDIT: YES!! Thank you very much!! The phone rebooted into CM successfully! Everything works. Well, almost. What doesn't work is also issues that I had in stock as well so I think it's device issues. Those are:

[*]Compass: acting very wierd and inverted a bit

[*]GPS: Didn't ever work in my country, Greece but it did work in America and Canada so probably an issue from where I am. Tried the FasterGPS app from the Play Store but didn't do anything

[*]Photo sphere: Doesn't understand device rotation

[*]Chromecast mirroring: I was hopping this would work but the app says that audio.r_submix.default is missing. Hoped that would work as it was one of the reasons I updated but it's not that important. Here is a link to the thread at XDA if the developers would like to add it. It contains info on what's needed: http://goo.gl/zqVyMO

[*] Google now force closes when using speech

Other than that I'm very satisfied and it's more than what I expected! Performance is amazing and customizability is one thing that has become my favorite. Camera also works, as well as video. There's not much more that I want. Thanks to everybody that helped me! I will keep you posted if anything important happens.

Chris.

Edited by chrismin13

Tried a few different versions of this ROM, and having the same issue with each one:

Default camera app crashes on load,

And my external SD card is recognized, but no apps can use it.

I understand this is a part of KK, but I thought CM11, or at least a version for a phone with an external SD card, would fix it.

Tried using the SDCard fix apps on the market, they claim to fix it via updating the permissions.xml file, but the issue persists. Dropbox, and the Camera app by google won't work, both claim I don't have an SD card...

SwiftKey as well.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? First KK ROM, so I assume it's me.

Erased the card and it mounts fine in the Settings > Storage section.

Can't use a lot of apps due to this, anyone got a fix?

Note: Yes, I did wipe everything when I installed the ROM, and I've done it a few times.

Are you on the July build from dastin's XDA thread?

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Hello,

Just found this topic this morning, I have been wanting to upgrade the software on my phone now for some time now from the stock software. Since I have never flashed any software to a smartphone before I have a couple of questions on this before beginning. I have been reading for some time now on other posts about how people have been having issues with certain features when flashing custom roms on their phones. This is why I bring this question up.

1. Does the phone need to be rooted first before trying to flash it or can the instructions on the first page be followed?

2. Do all of the features of the phone itself function correctly? Does the camera, gps, data, and text messaging work correctly?

3. This does work on the SCH-R760 USCELLULAR Galaxy S2 correct?

If the above questions can be answered I think I can follow the instructions on the first page of this post to try to upgrade my phone since apparently UScellular does not plan on releasing the Kit Kat version for it's customers any time soon.

Thanks,

Joe

You have to be rooted first

1.  I wasn't rooted when I followed her instructions.  2.  almost everything on my phone worked, except for the known issues. 3. I have a USCC sch-r760 and it worked perfectly.  the only issue I had was the battery life.  Enjoy this cool ROM!

Hello,

Just found this topic this morning, I have been wanting to upgrade the software on my phone now for some time now from the stock software. Since I have never flashed any software to a smartphone before I have a couple of questions on this before beginning. I have been reading for some time now on other posts about how people have been having issues with certain features when flashing custom roms on their phones. This is why I bring this question up.

1. Does the phone need to be rooted first before trying to flash it or can the instructions on the first page be followed?

2. Do all of the features of the phone itself function correctly? Does the camera, gps, data, and text messaging work correctly?

If the above questions can be answered I think I can follow the instructions on the first page of this post to try to upgrade my phone since apparently UScellular does not plan on releasing the Kit Kat version for it's customers any time soon.

Thanks,

Joe

1. I wasn't rooted when I followed her instructions. 2. almost everything on my phone worked, except for the known issues. 3. I have a USCC sch-r760 and it worked perfectly. the only issue I had was the battery life. Enjoy this cool ROM!
The instructions I followed were for flashing via custom recovery which, to my knowledge, cannot be achieved without root. What instructions did you follow?

Well OP's post says "As for the safe recovery, follow the steps below to come from an older ROM """"or from stock"""" to flash this CM11."

And it has you flash a kernel from Odin. So am I guessing right that the kernel already flashes a custom recovery?

Because that's what I'm gathering. Otherwise I have to go find the right recovery and root. However, I'm pretty sure you don't have to.

note! pressing the 'sign in' button on snapchat restarts the phone.. any log files anywhere I can share?

Has this been solved for you in the later builds?

If so, does CM still have the issue of not being able to record more than a couple seconds of video with Snapchat?

The person I'm doing this for is a snapchat fiend so if they can't use snapchat I would just say forget it and move on to a decent Touchwiz JB Rom.

Are you on the July build from dastin's XDA thread?

Yep, Jul. 29th is the build I'm using now

Edited by Preyed

Hello,

Thanks,

Joe

1. I wasn't rooted when I followed her instructions. 2. almost everything on my phone worked, except for the known issues. 3. I have a USCC sch-r760 and it worked perfectly. the only issue I had was the battery life. Enjoy this cool ROM!

Hello,

Thanks,

Joe

The instructions I followed were for flashing via custom recovery which, to my knowledge, cannot be achieved without root. What instructions did you follow?

Well OP's post says "As for the safe recovery, follow the steps below to come from an older ROM """"or from stock"""" to flash this CM11."

And it has you flash a kernel from Odin. So am I guessing right that the kernel already flashes a custom recovery?

Because that's what I'm gathering. Otherwise I have to go find the right recovery and root. However, I'm pretty sure you don't have to.

Right you are, recov is bundled in with the kernel on the S2

That's what I was thinking. Thank you. Now I just need to find out about the Snapchat issue.. I'll go do a search.

I wanted to report that the camera and video recorder are working fine for me no issues yet to report. The video camera froze the first day but has resolved itself and seems to work fine. I don't use snap chat so I don't know if that is a issue or not with this build. So far I am loving it so much faster than stock.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have to say 'Thanks'!

I needed to re-purpose my old SII to use on WiFi and have it running 4.x.x

This thread made it possible and did so easily.

So again, Thanks!

_Dan