Alain

Android 4.4.2 - How to root?

I hadn't updated my phone for a long while and it needed a wipe, so I did and in the process decided to update with Kies since it reminded me there was an update.  Now I can't seem to root.

I was rooted previously with Kingo and updated that as well.  When I tried to root with Kingo, it wanted to install MtkCamera and the phone notified me of this application's malicious intent.  Knowing that root is usually obtained with malicious intent, I decided to deny and look it up first.

From what I gather, Kingo installs a lot of malware and should be avoided.  So my question is... What do I do to get my phone rooted?  I obviously don't care about my warranty anymore since I've had it for a long time.  I would love to get it properly rooted and recovery installed so I can do nandroid backups and try new ROMs.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!  Also, I'm not sure what else that Kingo tried to do when it was attempting to root so I am thinking I may wipe again just to be safe.

Already threads on this

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/index.php?/topic/6949-Custom-recovery-but-still-no-root

And

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/index.php?/topic/6055-Kingo-Root-Method-Warning

Just flash recovery in Odin and su in recovery.

Never fails. Forget the stupid tools and do it manually. Then you don't need to look for a tool that does it for you. Its easy.

Moved to Dev guides

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Please let me know if I screwed this up... I went to TWRP http://teamw.in/project/twrp2 and downloaded for uscc device but I kept getting stuck in a bootloop because recovery wouldnt load.  So instead I went ahead and downloaded the sprint one and now it boots into recovery with TWRP 2.7.0.1.  

Im a big fan of Mark Skippen's Unified Android Toolkit and when that flashed recovery 2.7.0.0 for USCC it caught me in the same bootloop.  After reflashing the sprint 2.7.0.1 recovery i had downloaded, the Unified Android Toolkit was able to flash the zip to root and install busybox.

Now my device has 2.7.0.1 sprint TWRP recovery and is fully rooted with busybox.  After starting the SU application, it disabled Knox within seconds and all seems good.

Am I clear?  Or should I be worried im using sprint TWRP?

The only thing that might screw up is if stuff you flash checks for a uscc device. You'll just have to change that. Should be all set as far as I know.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Edited by Zenzr

That's fine. We don't have a working USC TWRP. We all use the Sprint one.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

Edited by HikingMoose

What file(s) did you flash? What was your specific procedure?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Looking to root my Note 3 and install xposed framework.  Seems like methods have changed a bit since 4.4.2 upgrade so just wanted to confirm I have a good method.  Instructions I found showed to flash CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.tar.md5, reboot and use root checker to verify root is good.  However, I see questions above about missing a recovery....does the CF-Auto Root file listed above remove the stock recovery?  Really want to keep everything stock at this point and just be rooted.

Let me know any thoughts on this method or recommendations on another.  Also, I saw mention of Know or coutners....would prefer to keep them at zero if there is a method that bypasses but if not no big deal.

Thanks in advance!

Looking to root my Note 3 and install xposed framework. Seems like methods have changed a bit since 4.4.2 upgrade so just wanted to confirm I have a good method. Instructions I found showed to flash CF-Auto-Root-hlte-hltexx-smn9005.tar.md5, reboot and use root checker to verify root is good. However, I see questions above about missing a recovery....does the CF-Auto Root file listed above remove the stock recovery? Really want to keep everything stock at this point and just be rooted.

Let me know any thoughts on this method or recommendations on another. Also, I saw mention of Know or coutners....would prefer to keep them at zero if there is a method that bypasses but if not no big deal.

Thanks in advance!

Google: towelroot. It's the fastest way to safely root the n3

Haven't been able to find any confirmation towelroot works for USCC variant on 4.4.2....anyone confirm this works before I "make it rain"?

Haven't been able to find any confirmation towelroot works for USCC variant on 4.4.2....anyone confirm this works before I "make it rain"?

It works.

Thanks, amazed how easy that was...almost doesn't seem possible.

Does it trip Knox? I'm getting a replacement N3 soon. I'd like to keep Knox in tact this time. Just to make returns easier. Lol

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

Could one of you tell me if the method in this link' http://www.droidviews.com/root-us-cellular-galaxy-note-3-on-android-4-4-2-kitkat/ , is the current preferred method of rooting while maintaining stock configuration? Sorry if this is obvious or "beat to death" I've just read so many links and threads on so many different forums that my head is about to explode. I just want stock root to get rid of bloat for now, more customization later maybe.

Thanks

Are you concerned about keeping your warranty intact?

I'd like to if possible at all.

You could just use towel root, you won't be able to have a recovery but you could still used rooted apps etc. I'm not sure on the method but I'm pretty sure its plug n play

Towel doesn't work on 4.4, so Idk... I don't think anything that keeps Knox intact works yet.

I'm confused Rub....I'm on my 4th Note 3 replacement and the last 3 they were rooted by towel root in less than 2 shakes once activated.

I can confirm working root method using towel with android 4.4.2

And rooting with towel alone won't trip Knox. Once recovery is flashed than Knox is 0x1

Edited by therealtoddster

I'm wrong then, I didn't know towelroot worked on 4.4, but if it does then that's sweet.

I learned something new.