Alain

Android 4.4.2 - How to root?

I would think you could just use the one here. Im sure it doesn't matter tho

I don't see anything in the downloads for the Note 3

Already threads on this

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/index.php?/topic/6949-Custom-recovery-but-still-no-root

And

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/index.php?/topic/6055-Kingo-Root-Method-Warning

Just flash recovery in Odin and su in recovery.

Never fails. Forget the stupid tools and do it manually. Then you don't need to look for a tool that does it for you. Its easy.

Moved to Dev guides

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Can you flesh this out a bit for the inexperienced?  How do you su manually?  Thanks

How to root Samsung phones:

(The Original, tried and true method)

* This will trip Knox *

1. Download Odin 3.09+

2. Download SuperSU 2.16+

3. Download TWRP/CWM for your phone

4. Copy SuperSU zip to internal SD

5. Boot your phone into download mode

5.1. Volume down + power + home

6. On PC - Open Odin 3.09

7. Plug your phone into PC

8. Put the recovery tar in the AP slot in Odin

9. UNCHECK auto reboot box

10. Press Start

--wait until it flashes-- (~15 seconds)

11. Unplug phone + pull battery

12. Boot to recovery

12.1 Volume Up + Power + Home

(Release all buttons when you see logo)

13. Flash SuperSU zip in recovery

14. Reboot

15. Update binary in SuperSU app

Done

Sent from my LGUS990

Which update are you on? I think with NAB you may have to use the modstring things in towel root. With NG5 the towel root exploit was patched.

Edit: For modstrings: https://towelroot.com/modstrings.html, tap "welcome to towelroot" 3 times and enter "1337 0 1 7380 4 0"

Edited by Ertok

Will this method work for a Note 3 running 5.0?

Thanks

How to root Samsung phones:
(The Original, tried and true method)
* This will trip Knox *
1. Download Odin 3.09+
2. Download SuperSU 2.16+
3. Download TWRP/CWM for your phone
4. Copy SuperSU zip to internal SD
5. Boot your phone into download mode
5.1. Volume down + power + homeicon1.png
6. On PC - Open Odin 3.09
7. Plug your phone into PCicon1.png
8. Put the recovery tar in the AP slot in Odin
9. UNCHECK auto reboot box
10. Press Start

--wait until it flashes-- (~15 seconds)

11. Unplug phone + pull battery
12. Boot to recovery
12.1 Volume Up + Power + Home
(Release all buttons when you see logo)
13. Flash SuperSU zip in recovery
14. Reboot
15. Update binary in SuperSU app

Yes.

Except, use Odin 3.10 and SuperSU 2.46.

Grab those 2 things and the rest is exactly as described.  Good Luck, man!

Let us know if you have issues or run into trouble, we can walk you through it if you need help!

Sent from my Nexus 6

On 11/2/2014 at 11:03 AM, iR1O said:

I've written that out many many times - there's guides in so many places here. All Samsung phones root the same.

There's this guide:

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/index.php?/topic/6741-Root-for-USCC-Galaxy-S5-[Confirmed]

Or I can write the other guide again if CF doesn't work, but I think it does.

Sent from my LGUS990

Does the phone have to be activate with a sim card installed in order to be rooted? 

Ihave a note 3 that I have never had on US Cellular- I have already tried to flash it and installed a VERIZON kitKat Build on it but I guess that will not work since apparently this UBER dual band phone I bought for $150 bucks last year will only work on CDMA towers.  Am I missing something?

Does the phone have to be activate with a sim card installed in order to be rooted? 

Ihave a note 3 that I have never had on US Cellular- I have already tried to flash it and installed a VERIZON kitKat Build on it but I guess that will not work since apparently this UBER dual band phone I bought for $150 bucks last year will only work on CDMA towers.  Am I missing something?

5 hours ago, Hoot said:

First off, welcome to Team US Cellular!  

You're going to need to provide us with a lot more information before we can help you.  But here's a few things, as well as a couple of questions to get us started:

Verizon is a CDMA carrier too, just like US Cellular and Sprint.  These carriers use CDMA for 1x and 3G, but use GSM for 4G (which is what the SIM card is for)

You don't have to activate any device on any network to get root access.

What do you mean by dual-band phone?

Flashing a Verizon ROM to a US Cellular device will make it not work properly.  
If it's a US Cellular device, you won't get full network functionality on ANY other carrier.

Simply flashing a ROM for a Verizon Note 3 will not make it compatible with Verizon's network.  This goes for any carrier.  That's just not how it works.

Is it a US Cellular variant of the Note 3?  What is the model number?

What carrier are you trying to activate it on?  

Edited by BoгИX

5 minutes ago, BoгИX said:

First off, welcome to Team US Cellular!  

You're going to need to provide us with a lot more information before we can help you.  But here's a few things, as well as a couple of questions to get us started:

Verizon is a CDMA carrier too, just like US Cellular and Sprint.  These carriers use CDMA for 1x and 3G, but use GSM for 4G (which is what the SIM card is for)

You don't have to activate any device on any network to get root access.

What do you mean by dual-band phone? Note 3 is both CDMA and GSM capable phone. You explained above the difference - I am learning that to gain 4 G LTE I will need GSM - so I had thought that if I just popped a sim card in it I would be all set if I flashed it properly. 

Flashing a Verizon ROM to a US Cellular device will make it not work properly.  As I have noticed. Going to flash it back to Stock Firmware I have found here https://www.theandroidsoul.com/note-3-stock-firmware/ for US Cellular - I think I have messed up something with my Counter that has to do with warranty. 
If it's a US Cellular device, you won't get full network functionality on ANY other carrier.

Simply flashing a ROM for a Verizon Note 3 will not make it compatible with Verizon's network.  This goes for any carrier.  That's just not how it works.

Is it a US Cellular variant of the Note 3?  What is the model number?  SM-N900R4

What carrier are you trying to activate it on?   Was hoping to use it on any available prepaid service that is in my area - SPRINT, ATT , Verizon - I have a Boost Phone and not happy with their service - US CEllular said that Prepaid was not an option for this phone. 

Thank you for your help. If there is any advice on which carriers I can flash this to use as a prepaid I would be in your debt. 

I have answered your questions in bold above :D

Hoot

9 minutes ago, Hoot said:

Thank you for your help. If there is any advice on which carriers I can flash this to use as a prepaid I would be in your debt. 

I have answered your questions in bold above :D

Hoot

Well, I have some bad news.  The SM-N900R4 is a US Cellular variant, and won't be activated on Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon prepaid.  This is not the phone you want for anything but US Cellular post-paid service.

21 minutes ago, BoгИX said:

Well, I have some bad news.  The SM-N900R4 is a US Cellular variant, and won't be activated on Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon prepaid.  This is not the phone you want for anything but US Cellular post-paid service.

okay thank you