Sign in to follow this  
BoгИX

PSA: Wiping your phone does not permanently delete data!

Hey y'all.  This may seem like a no-brainer to some, but when you do a factory reset to wipe your data it does not guarantee that your data is gone.  

When you delete files on Android, the file does not disappear, rather the data is flagged to be overwritten later.  If it never gets overwritten, it's still there.  Contacts, pictures, text messages, emails, web history, documents, account info, and literally everything else that you ever used your phone for.  

Here's an article explaining in more detail:

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-phone-wiping-401870/

The best way to protect your data if selling your device is to use a utility that will completely re-write all old data on the device.  These utilities usually cost money.  

The second best way is to encrypt your phone (using the stock firmware), then do a factory reset.  In this method the data is still there, but it is encrypted, which will make obtaining it much more difficult than without encryption.  This is probably about the most secure you'd need to be (unless you are selling to some evil mastermind) when selling a device that may have private data on it.  

I'm not trying to scare anyone, I just thought I'd share some words of advice here in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. Chances are a factory reset is plenty of protection, and the average buyer has no ill intentions.  But CYA!

That is how almost ALL forms of storage works.  HDDs, SSDs, flash drives, microSD cards, SD cards, all of them dont actually remove anyhting it's just "reusable" - so, unless you FILL IT with something else and then delete that, your stuff is still on there.

Same with anything computer based. Most people think it's gone, but it's not entirely gone yet just because you "deleted" it. 

Edit: Dern you Rub. 

They can keep my nekked selfies with my beanbag chair and Cheeto crumb bellybutton.

...bring it on, son! - *runs to get foil hat*

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Sign in to follow this