Sign in to follow this  
Ellingsoc

US Cellular Q3 Roadmap

Totally! The electrify, um, electrifies me! Although I would have loved to see an EVO type device from HTC, the moto definitely is going to be the flagship device. Can't wait, have already been totalling up my points to see how close I'll be to an upgrade in October!

Reading on the Howard Forums, it appears that the Photon will not be 4G. At this point nobody seems to know what the 4G offerings will be in November. I think I am going to pass on the Photon and wait for whatever the 4G offering will be - hopefully the Galaxy S2.

Personally I'm not too worried about 4G right now...since it's going to be limited in rollout to to start with. Also, the way I look at it is that it comes with 2 price tags: extra $$, and reduced battery life. Next upgrade cycle after this one, I'll adapt to it, but for now, 3G and wifi do just fine.

I am in one of the areas that will have 4G in November, and I am able to upgrade my phone now. In my position I would rather get a 4G phone in November than wait an additional 18 months, plus I don't think anyone knows pricing on 4G yet.

go for it...you're in a great spot to do it!

Of course who knows...there may be something more exciting announced between now and when I'm ready to upgrade. I'm nothing if not flexible :D

You know the more I read about the Galaxy S2 being 4G on all these other carriers, and thinking about how USCC usually releases their flagship devices a few months after everyone else, I'm starting to think that mreshetar is on to something with USCC releasing the S2 as one of their initial 4G devices.

I would love the Motorola to be a 4G phone, however the whole 4G thing kinda sucks too..

AFAIK like Verizon you will still be on a 5gb cap (I am sure they will offer a larger cap with more money like Verizon 10gb for $80), but even with those caps you could still eat that cap in a few hours or a day if you really tried..

Until the wireless industry sorts out the caps, I really think 4g is irrelevant.

And here is food for thought, USCC has done a ton of work in Maine on the towers recently costing them millions of $$. NONE of this work is new towers, but increasing capacity for Data on EXISTING towers just for 3G network traffic. Thats one state... Now multiply that by all the others, and THEN factor in the capacity upgrades needed to handle the increased 4G Bandwidth.. A small (in regards to Wireless) company like USCC cant afford this outlay and has to do it in small chunks. So even though you will get 4G, it still wont be as fast as you think it will (yes it WILL be faster) but as more people use it bandwidth will start to suffer.

4G will only come into its own after a couple of years IMO after everything has been upgraded and bandwidth troubles have been sorted, so, it isnt that important right now..

Reading on the Howard Forums, it appears that the Photon will not be 4G. At this point nobody seems to know what the 4G offerings will be in November. I think I am going to pass on the Photon and wait for whatever the 4G offering will be - hopefully the Galaxy S2.

Actually it IS 4G.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=8300

and here:

http://www.phonedog.com/products/motoro ... -4g/specs/

A question on the Desire II, on the link it shows a 4" display, but when you click on the review it states it has a 3.7" display, and some of the other specs are also different. Does anybody know if what is on the main page wrong, or maybe US Cell is getting another phone and just re-branding it the Desire II?

Well now that i'm in love with HTC, the choice between my first love, Motorola and HTC is going to be tough. With the

current lineup I will choose the Photon but who knows what will be coming by my upgrade date. I'm only going on 7 months into my Desire.

A question on the Desire II, on the link it shows a 4" display, but when you click on the review it states it has a 3.7" display, and some of the other specs are also different. Does anybody know if what is on the main page wrong, or maybe US Cell is getting another phone and just re-branding it the Desire II?

I want to know about this too. I think everybody assumed the Desire II would be an exact CDMA port of the Desire S. However, this looks to be a slight upgrade from the Desire S if the specs are right. 1.2 GHz vs. 1.0, 4.0" vs. 3.7", Full Sense 3.0 vs. Sense 2.x. If these specs hold up, this is my next device. Probably will be even if they don't. We won't have 4G in my area anytime soon, and I'm a pretty big fan of the Sense interface.

Yeah with the posted specs of the Desire II (if it turns out they are correct) and the Motorola Electrify it looks like USCC could be getting some great phones.

Actually it IS 4G.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=8300

and here:

http://www.phonedog.com/products/motoro ... -4g/specs/

The reviews are for the Photon, not the Electrify, and it was pointed out to me on the Howard Forums that the Photon's 4G is WiMax, not LTE. So...the Photon is 4G, the Electrify, probably not.

Ok guys there were leaked roadmaps today from both Bell and TELUS showing a multitude of new 'Berry devices...how come USCC has to be so tight-lipped?

So this morning AT&T announced that the BB Bold 9900 and Torch 9850 are going to be 4G...what does that mean for USCC customers? Do we have to wait until the holidays to see a new BB? Will they be released just as 3G, or as 4G capable with the 4G turned off?

Questions, quesitons, and no answers from USCC...all they can say is "Stay tuned"