Sign in to follow this  
Ellingsoc

US Cellular Q3 Roadmap

Unfortunately I think they will be late releases.

I can't see uscc selling a 4g device without the network in place first.

I hope I'm wrong

- Xoom Xoom :-)

Unfortunately I think you're right. My only hope is that people were hearing rumors of the Torch on USCC in august. But that and $.25 will get you a gumball.

I guess it's a price we have to pay for having such good family plans. Not happy about it though. Guess it will give me time to save up more points.

EDIT: I guess what bugs me most is USCC's deafening silence. Whenever I've asked on twitter, all I get back is "stay tuned, our followers will be the first to know"

I hope I'm wrong

I hope I'm wrong

I could see them selling the device first. They are selling 3G capable phones in St. Louis when the customers there don't have access to 3G. It is crazy to me that USC is being so tight lipped about what 4G phones they are planning on offering at this point. The "official" reason seems to be that "We have made announcements before and then things haven't worked out, and people get mad" and that is true, but they are announcing a number of other devices, and those aren't necessarily all going to be on schedule either.

Someone over on crackberrysaid the cdma versions won't be 4g...haven't found independent proof yet but if so that would be nice.

So a little update ...was doing some reading and it sounds like what it is that whats being touted as 4g is really on the souped 3g+. These won't actually be LTE, since those require 2 radios. So there may be some hope of seeing them on USCC sooner rather than later.

I hope I'm wrong

I could see them selling the device first. They are selling 3G capable phones in St. Louis when the customers there don't have access to 3G. It is crazy to me that USC is being so tight lipped about what 4G phones they are planning on offering at this point. The "official" reason seems to be that "We have made announcements before and then things haven't worked out, and people get mad" and that is true, but they are announcing a number of other devices, and those aren't necessarily all going to be on schedule either.

I had my Touch Pro for almost a year before we ever had 3G in my service area. One day the 1X changed to an EV and it just started working. Of course, they were providing 3G in service areas other than mine that entire time, so this is really a completely different situation. Just pointing out that they don't necessarily have to wait.

good point , i hope that happens in this situation as well ...

I thought I remembered reading on one of the forums a month or so ago that the 4g network was in place and undergoing testing. If they are planning on flipping the switch in the launch markets before the holidays I would expect them to have some 4g phones available by then.

Also, I happened to be at a conference facility in the Chicago area last week and USCC was having some large "Network Engineers - All Hands on Deck" meetings at the same facility. I was hoping to run into one of their techs to see if I could get any info out of them, but I'm sure they are keeping pretty tight lipped about everything. I can only hope the meetings were related to the impending 4g rollout.

The reviews are for the Photon, not the Electrify, and it was pointed out to me on the Howard Forums that the Photon's 4G is WiMax, not LTE. So...the Photon is 4G, the Electrify, probably not.

You are quite correct sir, The Electrify is 3G only.. Saw it the other week while it was in testing.. Does not have any 4G Radio/Antennas..

Like I said before, not a deal breaker at any rate. With Carriers moving to stupidly tiered data pricing and horrifically low Data caps for such high speed devices, they can keep 4G until they get their heads out of the sand. ^-^

I have to agree with you about the 4G not being a dealbreaker. I'm actually quite happy with 3G for what I use my phone for. I would love to go back to a motorola phone, they can't be beat for reception in my opinion. My son is still using my old moto razr and he gets reception in places my desire won't. My second choice for a dual core phone would be HTC, I've been extremely happy with my desire with the exception of limited memory. Since I'm running a custom rom with apps2sd its not really that big of a deal though. Samsung isn't even an option for me, my wifes mesmerize has had issues with missed calls and texts since she got it. Even with the latest update its no better. As far as hardware goes its not a bad phone at all, but the software issues need to be ironed out before I would even consider a samsung. I know there are people out there that have had no issues with their mesmerize but once you've had one with issues it just leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

I have to agree with you about the 4G not being a dealbreaker. I'm actually quite happy with 3G for what I use my phone for. I would love to go back to a motorola phone, they can't be beat for reception in my opinion. My son is still using my old moto razr and he gets reception in places my desire won't. My second choice for a dual core phone would be HTC, I've been extremely happy with my desire with the exception of limited memory. Since I'm running a custom rom with apps2sd its not really that big of a deal though. Samsung isn't even an option for me, my wifes mesmerize has had issues with missed calls and texts since she got it. Even with the latest update its no better. As far as hardware goes its not a bad phone at all, but the software issues need to be ironed out before I would even consider a samsung. I know there are people out there that have had no issues with their mesmerize but once you've had one with issues it just leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

The person testing the Electrify stated that the reception on it was phenomenal. Like the Motorola Devices of old for reception. Speed of it was like using a Xoom in a phone factor. This is the phone I will be getting, because apart from the LG Optimus, all of USCC's Android phones suck for reception. Esp when you live in the mountains of northern New Hampshire.. Really the old Motorola Phones kicked ass in that dept. And if they can produce an Android phone that has great specs with that same reception, its a sold unit IMO. Im totally not even arsed about being able to root it as long as it performs good, and has tons of memory and receives/sends calls pretty much everywhere.