Sarcus

Data on demand

What would need to be done to a rom in order to keep your data off unless you open a app requiring data. Then as soon as you exit the app your data turns off. Just thinking out loud....

I think this could be set up as a Tasker "task". (or possibly another similar app). I have a task that turns on and off wifi depending on the app. You might need to be rooted though.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Also, there's an app called "sfen" that does this stuff.  It's not as comprehensive, and still in its infancy so it lacks many features, but it'll help manage mobile network, BT, and wifi I think based on locations, pairings, and network connections.  And it's free.  A quick search on XDA will find it.

Looked at Tasker.... Just really couldn't figure out how to get the results I'm looking for... It was all a little confusing

Juice Defender will use more battery than it'll save.  If data is what you're trying to conserve at the cost of battery life, it may be a good choice.  You will notice less battery life though.  

Has Juice Defender updated in the last few years to add features like that? Might be worth checking.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

Juice Defender hasn't updated anything since January of 2012. People are still buying the paid versions, and then complaining like crazy in the reviews. Kind of comical.

I can't imagine this even working worth crap -_- You'll be waiting to use data more than anything else. Since it has to reconnect to the network. Which never seems to be fast on this phone.

I can't imagine this even working worth crap -_- You'll be waiting to use data more than anything else. Since it has to reconnect to the network. Which never seems to be fast on this phone.

I don't believe if it would be as bad as you think.  I was actually just on vacation in a low service / roaming area and found myself manually turning on and off mobile data just to help with battery life.  Worst thing you would have to do is tell an app to "refresh" since it wouldn't have a connection when it firsts opens.

Edited by JohnB

Well I put xposed on and then deep sleep battery saver...now my data turns on and off with the screen. And it takes 1 second to complete. Also has settings to turn on data for varied amount of time to update all the stuff you have it. Mail fb etc. Working great! Thanks to all for your input.

Sounds exactly like juice defender. Some people say the sane thing that Bornx, said. But I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think it drains battery. It does work, it does what it says, but it just doesn't save that much power in the real world. Most power is spent on the screen. Not data. For me it's just easiest to toggle my data manually when I need it.

The idea of tying data to particular apps is a cool idea though.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

My experience with deep sleep battery saver has been subpar. I've never actually seen it disable data... maybe it's cause I'm on TouchWiz, idk.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

I get better results having Greenify kill specific badly behaving apps, and never notice it's even doing it, phone works as expected.

Glad you like your solution though, if in really weak signal I could see that making a larger impact

Sent from my SM-G900R4

Yeah I just wanted to stop all background data usage without working on every app. When I'm on my phone fine do what you want.... But when I turn off my screen I want my phone to stop. No updates no emails none of that stuff... Just wish I didn't have to run a app to stop an app.