KrazeeCriss

R960 Used On T-Mobile

Is this possible after unlocking and would suffer lesser/slower speeds or should all be okay? I've been watching this model and it seems to be the lowest priced usually on eBay. 

Thanks!

Possible? Yes. On prepaid only for TMO I believe.

Slower? Worse that normal service? Probably.

It doesn't have the same hardware a gsm phone has, so it won't as as good as a GSM phone would be on tmo.

But, I'd be happy to hear your feedback.

Plus this:

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/index.php?/topic/3547-U.S.-Cellular-Service-F.A.Q.

Read that, then just know that you're better off buying an unlocked gsm phone.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

USCC and GSM T-Mobile phones only have one common band/type. 1700MHZ I believe. Been a while, so it may be two :P

But either way, it won't be a fully functioning phone by any means. Worth it? Hardly, unless good service is the least of your worries.

I really wish Samsung made a LTE 5.8 model instead of the dual-sim slot version, I was happy with my Note 2 up until it died on me and would've loved a lil bit bigger screen around the same 5 inch sweet spot size and I honestly rarely rarely if ever used my s-pen on it. 

I might go ahead and get the 6.3 R960 reason being cost wise or I might get the Note 3 next, but then I'd have a s-pen again and hardware that I never use. LoL

So get a gsm S5.

Cause a S5 is smaller than a Note 2, so how could it be as big or bigger than 5.7 or 5.8 inches? LoL

Not trying to downgrade in size from the Note 2 which was 5.5 inches, I keep talking myself into the Note 3 no matter what other options I add in...

It's Sammy and has a replaceable battery which is a huge plus to me, plus a good developers community, I've tried looking at HTC then get ticked off at no sd card and irreplaceable built-in battery and LG G Pro 2 or whatever else and then just go right back to the Note 3. I guess I'm a samsung fan boy? 

Edited by KrazeeCriss

because you said 5 inch sweet spot.  Since the S5 is a 5.1" - which would be in said sweet spot.

I still stand by the GSM model thing, if you plan to go to a GSM carrier with a CDMA phone you better have low expectations because it isnt going to be anywhere near as good as you expect.

because you said 5 inch sweet spot.  Since the S5 is a 5.1" - which would be in said sweet spot.

I still stand by the GSM model thing, if you plan to go to a GSM carrier with a CDMA phone you better have low expectations because it isnt going to be anywhere near as good as you expect.

I also said around the same, haha...

Didn't know uscc was a cdma company, I thought they were a gsm carrier.

Why would you think that?

Cause I never really looked too deeply into uscc I just thought they were a lil operator and was gsm... Not available in my area, I don't think, so why would I have reason to research them? LoL

Granted I've heard of the name plenty times before, I just never dug into it and who they were.

Edited by KrazeeCriss

Ah.

Yeah they're all CDMA phones, they CAN be unlocked but the quality of service you'll have is just... Sketchy at best.

Idk how good it would be, but seeing only one band in common, my guess is that it wouldn't be a good bet to buy a USCC phone - even if its cheap - to use on TMo

And this is why the world has failed. People question nothing and accept everything.

iRub1out just a note for you,  I have the sch-r960 from USCC and the reception is out of this world. To give you an example I am a Mess Hall Manager and do inventory in the Freezer deep in the middle of our building.  Everyone including me when I had a Note 2 could not get a sig at all in the freezer.  My Mega doesn't even notice when I go in the freezer.  I talk to my wife, text or sometimes stream live radio in there,  so my boss who was with Verizon and could not get a sig as soon as he walk into the building switch to USCC and bought a Mega like mine.  He not never loses a sig.  Could it be USCC or the phone, I don't know but I do know I have had nothing but good come from this phone minus no ROMS WHATSOEVER lmao ... I do miss changing out roms but I can live with it.  I have huge hands so the Mega fits me like most phones fit other people.  Have a great Thanks Giving guys.

Edited by RMGTesla

Refer to http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/thread-progress-please-leave-im-updating-t2871269 for using a native USCC or other regional CDMA Qualcomm device on a GSM/UMTS network. Keep in mind the guide is for a Xperia phone so you're gonna have to modify the guide a bit for it to work for Samsung. 

Refer to http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/thread-progress-please-leave-im-updating-t2871269 for using a native USCC or other regional CDMA Qualcomm device on a GSM/UMTS network. Keep in mind the guide is for a Xperia phone so you're gonna have to modify the guide a bit for it to work for Samsung.

Except this won't work on CDMA phones because well, they're CDMA phones and don't have GSM world capabilities. One band with GSM isn't a GSM capable phone by any means ;)

Sent from my real Moto X using Tapatalk

Edited by Zenzr

WORLD capable, no.

But they SHOULD work, at least somewhat, on GSM networks inside the US.

Like na7q said, only one band may match with it, so it may be useless - but yeah.

Interested to see how it pans out.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Refer to http://forum.xda-developers.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/thread-progress-please-leave-im-updating-t2871269 for using a native USCC or other regional CDMA Qualcomm device on a GSM/UMTS network. Keep in mind the guide is for a Xperia phone so you're gonna have to modify the guide a bit for it to work for Samsung.

Except this won't work on CDMA phones because well, they're CDMA phones and don't have GSM world capabilities. One band with GSM isn't a GSM capable phone by any means ;)

USCC Mega uses the same Qualcomm chipset as the Sprint variant which contains worldwide multi-class CDMA EV-DO/GSM/UMTS/LTE(TD/FDD) capability. USCC Samsung devices ARE world phones, it's just turned off.

The reason you don't see GSM frequencies listed by the FCC on USCC devices is because it's turned off in the modem and is invisible to the end-user.

WORLD capable, no.

Like na7q said, only one band may match with it, so it may be useless - but yeah.

^This!

If you don't mess around with the radios, you'll only have access to a few GSM bands which will provide a pretty unpleasant experience. 

USCC Mega uses the same Qualcomm chipset as the Sprint variant which contains worldwide multi-class CDMA EV-DO/GSM/UMTS/LTE(TD/FDD) capability. USCC Samsung devices ARE world phones, it's just turned off.

The reason you don't see GSM frequencies listed by the FCC on USCC devices is because it's turned off in the modem and is invisible to the end-user.

Incorrect.

WORLD capable, no.

^This!

If you don't mess around with the radios, you'll only have access to a few GSM bands which will provide a pretty unpleasant experience. 

You'll only have access to one GSM band. Because that's all it covers. So basically it's useless on GSM. Unless you live in an area where that one band is majorly covered. There's been plenty of messing around and physical messing around of many Sammy devices. All which show that USCC devices are not world devices by any means.

Oh and if the "theory" of the modems were true. That would mean you could flash a Sprint modem and everything would still function. But we all know this causes more or less hard bricks which I haven't seen anyone recover from. On newer devices (S3+)

Edited by Zenzr

Incorrect.

WORLD capable, no.

^This!

You'll only have access to one GSM band. Because that's all it covers. So basically it's useless on GSM. Unless you live in an area where that one band is majorly covered. There's been plenty of messing around and physical messing around of many Sammy devices. All which show that USCC devices are not world devices by any means.

Oh and if the "theory" of the modems were true. That would mean you could flash a Sprint modem and everything would still function. But we all know this causes more or less hard bricks which I haven't seen anyone recover from. On newer devices (S3+)

Didn't mean the actual modem software, the settings that enable and disable bands are hardcoded into the modem and are on a separate partition. This may surprise you, but there's actually been very little attention towards USCC devices in terms of unlocking. It's not a theory that the GSM lock is modem based, it's a common practice that all carriers in the United States do. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile are notorious for selling Samsung phones with their competitor's LTE/UMTS frequencies disabled so you're basically stuck with EDGE. Compare a Verizon board with a USCC one and you'll see they're 100% identical to each other, Qualcomm also lists the modems they use in USCC devices are GSM capable. Not making any of this up, you're free to look it up on the internet if you want proof of this. 

Edited by SBJ1998

Incorrect.

WORLD capable, no.

^This!

Didn't mean the actual modem software, the settings that enable and disable bands are hardcoded into the modem and are on a separate partition. This may surprise you, but there's actually been very little attention towards USCC devices in terms of unlocking. It's not a theory that the GSM lock is modem based, it's a common practice that all carriers in the United States do. Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile are notorious for selling Samsung phones with their competitor's LTE/UMTS frequencies disabled so you're basically stuck with EDGE. Compare a Verizon board with a USCC one and you'll see they're 100% identical to each other, Qualcomm also lists the modems they use in USCC devices are GSM capable. Not making any of this up, you're free to look it up on the internet if you want proof of this.

I have indeed looked and found all I needed to believe it's a CDMA only phone unfortunately. Wish it weren't true. But it is. I've seen 0 evidence otherwise to date. And everyone who has claimed anything GSM has never had proof. So good theory you have. But that's it sadly. ):

Man... I want to unlock my S4/5 so I can test this - but I don't have any Sim cards for any other carrier - otherwise I would gladly test it out.

Anyone know how I would go about getting a prepaid Sim for any carrier without paying for it?

Could tell them I broke it and just need a replacement Sim? Can I do that at radio shack?

Sent from my Nexus 6

Man... I want to unlock my S4/5 so I can test this - but I don't have any Sim cards for any other carrier - otherwise I would gladly test it out.

Anyone know how I would go about getting a prepaid Sim for any carrier without paying for it?

Could tell them I broke it and just need a replacement Sim? Can I do that at radio shack?

Sent from my Nexus 6

I've got several AT&T/T-Mobile/KDDI/AIS SIM cards lying around, I could send you one but you wouldn't be able to reactivate it.

Edited by SBJ1998

I had a ATT one that had nothing on it, no account or anything - but it would show signal.

Thats really what i want to test - DOES it show signal when put into the phone - to me, that would convince me that it would work since I KNOW that neither ATT nor TMO have LTE anywhere near me.

I had a ATT one that had nothing on it, no account or anything - but it would show signal.

Thats really what i want to test - DOES it show signal when put into the phone - to me, that would convince me that it would work since I KNOW that neither ATT nor TMO have LTE anywhere near me.

1 penny sim cards. they work well. free minutes upon activation.

http://www.amazon.com/H2O-Wireless-Dialing-Starter-Network/dp/B005LI78YM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422381758&sr=8-1&keywords=h20

As for your signal. You were getting a CDMA signal. Not GSM.