Kevin58

Anyone Purchase the Moto X Gen 2?

I got one yesterday. I haven't had time to drive around and check reception but after setting it up, etc. i like it so far. It's a big jump up from the s3 and it's faster than the s4 it replaced. Screen looks better than the s4 as well. Not loaded down with a bunch of bloat like the samsung either.

Got it yesterday. Love it so far. The whole screen turning on when you go to pick it up is a nice touch. Had the S4 before, running nightly CyanogenMOD. This feels super smooth. I actually like the "bloat" that motorola put on this phone. I still have a million things to learn about this device. I'll root it and install xposed framework soon enough. My little brother got one too, set his to ART runtime to see if it does any better on batterylife.

I got it yesterday and after almost 2.5 years with the S3, this phone has been refreshing. I will say, I do miss some of the features from CM like customizable quick settings, torch and battery percentage icon. I'm also not completely sold on the camera app....I don't like how when you touch the screen it takes a picture instead of focus. But considering I cant stand manufacturer skins, I think I'll be content what this has to offer. If the G3 was running vanilla android, this might have been a harder choice, but I'm as much about the software as I am about the hardware. (I also think the G3's 2K screen is an unnecessary waste of resources)

All in all, it seems like a great phone though. Feels very solid when you're holding it, super fluid, reception is great, etc. Haven't had it long enough to test battery life, but it seems quite a bit better than the S3. I switched half way through the day from dalvik to ART, so we'll see if I can notice a different in the battery stats. Hopefully the 2300 mAh battery will be sufficient....we'll see.

10.06 usable out of the box. That can be tweaked after we get root.

I love this thing! It's a great size, great reception, almost stock AOSP, and the few moto enhancements really do make the experience better. Give me root and I've got my dream phone.

Fwiw I'm at 36%battery, 3 hours screen time, 14 hours since unplugged, first charge cycle ever. I'm happy with that. Over a day of moderate use.

Edited by BoгИX

One thing I noticed is that I can't do voice and data at the same time. I know my S4 (and I think my S3) could handle both at the same time. Anyone else having these issues?

One thing I noticed is that I can't do voice and data at the same time. I know my S4 (and I think my S3) could handle both at the same time. Anyone else having these issues?

That is one thing I hoped was going to change over the Gen 1. No voice and data at the same time.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

That is one thing I hoped was going to change over the Gen 1. No voice and data at the same time.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

Is that just limited to the Moto? I thought with LTE you could since voice & data are going over two different radios. 

I just tried it, no-go.  No data while in call.  Just tried it, strong 4G signal here, and it dropped to 1X while on the call would not load any interwebz.  :/

WiFi works in-call though.  I bet this can be addressed in a software update, unless somehow they combined LTE GSM and CDMA antennae into one.

I just tried it, no-go.  No data while in call.  Just tried it, strong 4G signal here, and it dropped to 1X while on the call would not load any interwebz.   :/

WiFi works in-call though.  I bet this can be addressed in a software update, unless somehow they combined LTE GSM and CDMA antennae into one.

Which would be dumb, if they did lol. 

And weird, somehow mine got set to Global.  Couldn't get Pandora to work at all on my drive over, but now that I looked in there and saw that, switched back to LTE and it's working again.  Yay for fixing it!  And Boo for it somehow automatically switching to global (wtf?)!  But mostly Yay!

I assumed global meant whichever connection type was best. Mine has been on global the whole time except for when I had to use 3g due to being in an area where it constantly switches back and forth and it has worked fine.

i'm not sure. mine is on 3g all the time in the area i live in but i've had to do that with all my phones. this phone is much better than the s4 reception wise.

I assumed global meant whichever connection type was best. Mine has been on global the whole time except for when I had to use 3g due to being in an area where it constantly switches back and forth and it has worked fine.

I would like some clarity on that as well... I wonder if has any affect on the phone, signal, etc.