Sign in to follow this  
BuckyBadger14

iPhone 6 Unlock

Question

Can someone confirm that you can use the US Cellular version of the iPhone 6 abroad on GSM networks? It's supposed to be a global phone and I'm not sure if it works that way. US Cellular customer rep had no clue. Looked up the website and repeated the same information

10 answers to this question

Should have made it more clear. I'm buying one off craigslist and need it to work abroad - I'm not looking to use it in the US and don't have a US cellular account to have it unlocked (if that's what it needs). I was assuming that world phones are unlocked for carriers outside the us without the need to ask US Cellular to do it for you.

Outside of the u.s they are unlocked for use, they are not unlocked for you inside the United States. You would have to have them do that for you.

Kinda dumb, but its been that way forever and only a very few phones work outside the US.

You may want to call into customer service and ask just to be sure. I'm not 100% on that I'm just basing that on what I read.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Customer service is basically saying that if its a "world" phone it should be unlocked for international use on GSM carriers. It's excellent if it works internationally out of the box since US Cell iPhones are selling for much less than other ones and if they are already unlocked - I should be all set.

There was a thread on MacRumors that had a couple of people saying that the iPhone 5S wasn't unlocked when they took it internationally which makes we ask more questions but I guess their website pretty much says that the phone should be okay without US Cell. needing to do anything to it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1672927

Edited by BuckyBadger14

But I can tell you it won't work nearly as well as it would if you bought a phone design for that region.

ie. If you were wanting it for permanent overseas use.

It only works on certain cellular bands, I believe that it will work anywhere in North or South America, but it will not work in Europe Asia or Africa. I'm fairly certain that it does not contain the hardware to work anywhere other than North and South America.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Well that page tells you is what you needed to know - it will work in A LOT of countries lol - a lot more than i would have guessed.

Here's a map of what regions use what band:

201012141144141.jpg

I called two local stores both said they should be unlocked out of the box. I don't think US Cell does this only Verizon that I know of. I then called their 800 support and they also were not sure and said if it's not blacklisted then they might be able to. 

If it isn't active on an account and paid for in full - its fully unlockable/unlocked.

They can activate it.

Sent from my Nexus 6