kobester

Android lollipop coming to moto x

Nope. No news about a soak for the 2013 Moto X for any carrier. The only thing I read about daily is some thread on Reddit complaining about lack of said soak, and then a bunch of users (not realizing that there are 2 different Moto X's) commenting on how theirs already has Lollipop. Hilarity ensues.

Nope. No news about a soak for the 2013 Moto X for any carrier. The only thing I read about daily is some thread on Reddit complaining about lack of said soak, and then a bunch of users (not realizing that there are 2 different Moto X's) commenting on how theirs already has Lollipop. Hilarity ensues.

I've always liked that term.

Hilarity ensues.

Soak test invites from Motorola are now being sent out! Just completed the survey...

Where is this survey?
If you are registered with the Motorola owners firms and have signed up to be a tester, if they select you they, Motorola, will be sending you an email with the link. If you don't get the email you were not chosen. It may take them a day or two to get through all the emails.

Soak test invites from Motorola are now being sent out! Just completed the survey...

Where is this survey?
If you are registered with the Motorola owners firms and have signed up to be a tester, if they select you they, Motorola, will be sending you an email with the link. If you don't get the email you were not chosen. It may take them a day or two to get through all the emails.

Thanks! Yeah, I registered there a long time ago, but haven't been there in a long time. I'll check it out.

Apparently this soak test is for the Moto App, not for Lollipop.

The soak test I am on is for lollipop.... Don't let the survey fool you, they, Motorola only soak tests for android releases and not just a piece of their software. If you are thinking the new gallery feature is the Motorola software, that new feature is a part of lollipop...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by dBuster

Apparently this soak test is for the Moto App, not for Lollipop.

The soak test I am on is for lollipop.... Don't let the survey fool you, they, Motorola only soak tests for android releases and not just a piece of their software. If you are thinking the new gallery feature is the Motorola software, that new feature is a part of lollipop...

LP is ew. So you're on a soak test of LP or on a list? You are is confuzzled me brains with your statements.

I understood it to be a Moto app and not an OS upgrade per the email I received, quoting directly from the email:

"We are inviting owners of the Moto X 1st Gen to participate in an early preview of a new Moto App software release, and provide feedback. Please be aware that this is not an Android OS update/upgrade feedback opportunity."

From what I had heard from an insider to Motorola that the soak was for lp.... Although the email says it like what is pasted. I guess we take it how ever we take it and interpret it... Time will tell. If it is for just the software/app and not the lp update, not really sure why they are doing or going to do a soak since the apps are out there already for use. If it is for the apps I have had them for a couple days already without a push off software from anyone...

na7q - good to see you around Mike! Still using your Moto x? you are on a list until they push the soak out to you. You don't get on the list until you have completed the survey.

And from what I see if lp on my nexus 7 tablet I agree lp is ewe

Edited by dBuster

Can you sideload the Moto App from the 2014 version? I installed the new moto voice (from an XDA thread), i have the Moto app showing in my app drawer but when I try to open it, it says app not installed. 

I didn't get the apps from XDA, I got them from apkmirror and just installed them normally. Both the gallery and the camera were the 2014 version and they installed just fine on my 1st gen X.

Will have to look at apkmirror for the voice app...

Okay, according to a comment on the apkmirror site for the voice app it only works with android 5.0 so if you don't have the lollipop update it might not work period.

apkmirror Motorola voice

Edited by dBuster

From what I had heard from an insider to Motorola that the soak was for lp.... Although the email says it like what is pasted. I guess we take it how ever we take it and interpret it... Time will tell. If it is for just the software/app and not the lp update, not really sure why they are doing or going to do a soak since the apps are out there already for use. If it is for the apps I have had them for a couple days already without a push off software from anyone...

na7q - good to see you around Mike! Still using your Moto x? you are on a list until they push the soak out to you. You don't get on the list until you have completed the survey.

Didn't mean to step on toes here, that wasn't my intent.  I got excited when I got this email, had a post all written, and then read the email fully...probably the exact backwards way of doing things.  :)

I thought I read somewhere that this was the Motorola Update Services app, which would be put in place to get the Moto X 1st Gen's ready for the LP update.  Then taking the survey, it asked about frequency of taking photos, sharing photos...so I don't know what the deal is.

I wouldn't understand a soak test for an app specifically, so that is why I think it is something to do with getting the device ready for LP and not the actual LP update just yet.

Didn't mean to step on toes here, that wasn't my intent. I got excited when I got this email, had a post all written, and then read the email fully...probably the exact backwards way of doing things. :)

I thought I read somewhere that this was the Motorola Update Services app, which would be put in place to get the Moto X 1st Gen's ready for the LP update. Then taking the survey, it asked about frequency of taking photos, sharing photos...so I don't know what the deal is.

I wouldn't understand a soak test for an app specifically, so that is why I think it is something to do with getting the device ready for LP and not the actual LP update just yet.

Could be getting the 1st gens ready... Never thought of that but then again the apps were made public well before that survey which to me doesn't make sense. But then again what about Motorola makes sense?

Have you gotten a software push yet? I have not seen anything yet and the Motorola forums are not showing me anything new like in the past.... I think that new pictures thing they were referring to is the highlights option now in the gallery. Not sure what is up with the new camera app... Or the new voice app....

Time will tell us the answers....

I didn't get the apps from XDA, I got them from apkmirror and just installed them normally. Both the gallery and the camera were the 2014 version and they installed just fine on my 1st gen X.

Okay, according to a comment on the apkmirror site for the voice app it only works with android 5.0 so if you don't have the lollipop update it might not work period.

apkmirror Motorola voice

Saying those aren't found. 

apkmirror Motorola voice

Saying those aren't found. 

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/01/19/new-set-motorola-apps-ready-download-apk-mirror-apk-download/

There ya go!

Now I wish I grabbed them all when I saw them. All I grabbed was the camera, gallery, and the voice. I think I still may have the first two apk's...

Bornx your link redirects the downloads back to apkmirror where all the Motorola stuff was removed...

Edited by dBuster

Found them!

http://www.androidgb.com/download-latest-unreleased-versions-moto-apps-888/

Don't get "Contextual Services", this is exclusive to the Moto G.

Wahoo! Grabbed a copy of them except the contextual services! Appreciate the share!

Funny on this though, Motorola sends out surveys getting ready for a soak test that would have included these files and the files were leaked and now no word on the soak nothing further has come of it... Did they give up on it??? Who knows. ;-)

Found them!

http://www.androidgb.com/download-latest-unreleased-versions-moto-apps-888/

Don't get "Contextual Services", this is exclusive to the Moto G.

Wahoo! Grabbed a copy of them except the contextual services! Appreciate the share!

Funny on this though, Motorola sends out surveys getting ready for a soak test that would have included these files and the files were leaked and now no word on the soak nothing further has come of it... Did they give up on it?? Who knows. ;-)

Many of the rumors I've been reading... and they are just rumors... state that the Lollipop releases that Google provided to Motorola were buggy as hell, and it's likely everything has been pushed back to 5.1 (which was announced yesterday). I can personally attest to Lollipop bugginess, because in my toddler-induced sleep-deprived state, I allowed my Nexus 7 2012 to be upgraded to Lollipop. HOLY HELL! It was like "touch the screen and see a response in 5 minutes". I finally disabled anything to do with "Location" which is a major culprit, and the tablet is in a somewhat useable state now (but it's like walking on eggshells). I hope whatever soak they push out is bug free, because showstoppers like a memory leak will kill this phone.

Many of the rumors I've been reading... and they are just rumors... state that the Lollipop releases that Google provided to Motorola were buggy as hell, and it's likely everything has been pushed back to 5.1 (which was announced yesterday). I can personally attest to Lollipop bugginess, because in my toddler-induced sleep-deprived state, I allowed my Nexus 7 2012 to be upgraded to Lollipop. HOLY HELL! It was like "touch the screen and see a response in 5 minutes". I finally disabled anything to do with "Location" which is a major culprit, and the tablet is in a somewhat useable state now (but it's like walking on eggshells). I hope whatever soak they push out is bug free, because showstoppers like a memory leak will kill this phone.

Not to hijack this thread but I to allowed my nexus 7 to do the nasty and update... I have been hating things since and have tried every trick out there now and I am just about ready to roll back to 4.4.4 as I read it could be done...

I installed a 5.0.2 rom on my OG Sammy 10.1 tablet. I thought it's been a great build. Haven't used it a ton, but haven't seen these horror stories. Granted, it's a build a guy is doing on XDA...but it's been nice. 

5.0 is fine on modern devices. Runs great on my wife's 2013 Nexus 7, and my HTC One M8. GPE FTW. I'm sure the 2013 Moto X can handle it.