iR1O

LG G3 Root Guide

Root Status: ROOT Confirmed

OLD METHOD

Updated guide - 02-08-15

Special thanks to AutoPrime for his help with root/recovery
A big thank you to Holden for purchasing the firmware and starting this journey

Standard Disclaimer:

This will wipe your phone back to factory settings - everything you've done on it will be gone - so any lost dog/cat/gf pics you may have, if not taken off/backed up prior to this, will be lost

What this method essentially does is downgrades the firmware to an exploitable version - then roots it - then updates it to the most current while maintaining root w/ TWRP recovery.

Also, here's how you enter the hidden menu:
3845#*990#

(Hidden Menu is NOT needed for root, just putting it here for info)

Root Guide:

1. Download the pre-patch .kdz file:
http://upload.teamuscellular.com/39a

2. Download LG Flash Tool 2014:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2797190
2.1. Follow instructions in that thread to flash the Z04 image to your G3
2.2. Power OFF your phone.
2.3. Enter Download mode by holding VOLUME UP while inserting the USB cable into the phone

3. Download IORoot:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2776198
3.1. Follow instructions to apply root to your phone

4. Flash TWRP recovery to your phone:
4.1. Guide to TWRP: http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/orig-development/bump-unlock-lg-g3-twrp-d852-d852g-f400-t2900614

5. Flash 10C boot.img, modem.img, and system.img
5.1. boot, modem, system: http://upload.teamuscellular.com/39f
5.2. Guide for flashing:

You obtained some boot.img,modem.img,system.img files... either extracting from TOT/KDZ yourself or downloaded files I uploaded. This method is something you can do all by yourself... no help from a dev needed. To make this method just as easy as flashing a custom rom zip. I have made 3 flashable zip files -[Flash2System.zip, Flash2Boot.zip and Flash2Modem.zip]
Download them to your phone using the link below then follow the directions that below...
Flash2boot.zip
Flash2modem.zip
Flash2System.zip

A. Make a new folder on your internal sdcard called: "flash2"
B. Download and place Flash2System.zip, Flash2Boot.zip and Flash2Modem.zip on your phone. Internal/external sdcard.
C. Stick system.img, boot.img and modem.img into the /sdcard/flash2/ folder. Files must be named: system.img, boot.img and modem.img (if they end in ".bin" simply rename them to ".img")
D. Create backup's in TWRP. (totally optional)
E. In TWRP, flash Flash2System.zip and/or Flash2Boot.zip and/or Flash2Modem.zip to install your updated images.
F. If you have flashed a stock system.img you will need root. After the flash completes press Reboot System and TWRP will ask if you want root. Go thru the process in TWRP then reboot. After booting you may have a notification to finalize root. Few more clicks and you're rooted... it's that easy. No more worrying if root is patched in the latest OTA update... or having to undo everything you changed in stock so that the OTA doesn't brick you.

Flash2*.zip didn't work? Make sure your system/boot/modem.img files are in the /sdcard/flash2/ folder. Internal sdcard!
(Look for this Spoiler box: How-To Manually Flash/Update Device w/ System.img, Boot.img and Modem.img)

Sauce

6. Reboot - update SuperSU

7. Thank AutoPrime and Holden for their efforts in making this happen!

8. Buy beer. Lots of beer.

UNROOT GUIDE
(should you ever need it)

Please note the following:

1. It does not wipe the /data/ partition of your device.
2. It will reinstall any bloat you have uninstalled including those apps that you carrier put into /data/
3. It will remove any files you have added to /system/ including root or other modifications
4. Any files you have "frozen" will stay disabled, you cannot unfreeze them without rooting again - this guide will be for a "full unroot" so there is an optional step below to unfreeze apps.

The Guide

1. Download LG PC Suite from LG's website - you must select model type before you do so, but as far as I can tell it downloads the same version regardless.

2. Update the app so it recognises the G3 - this should ask you to update automatically on opening the app, if not you can do it from the "help" menu.

(NB: if you have used some of the KDZ flashing methods on here you may have issues updating as your hosts file is probably altered to block the PC Suite gaining a connection).

3. Connect the phone via USB (the app allows for a wifi connection but this is very restrictive, you require a USB connection for this).

*OPTIONAL STEP* If you want to go back to a truly stock experience then unfreeze any apps you have frozen (I am unsure if having apps frozen will effect OTA installations, it should still work fine, in theory).

4. With the device connected go to the "phone" menu in PC Suite and select the option that says "Restore Upgrade Errors".

5. It will then scan your device, download the rom and begin flashing, this is all automatic without any further input from you, do not cancel it.

6. The phone will reboot when finished. You are now unrooted and unmodified and OTA's should work.

*OPTIONAL STEP* If you want to go back to 100% stock then its probably a good idea to factory reset your phone at this point - this will wipe your whole device (of course).

And you're done

Sauce

-- ALTERNATE --

This is an easier way:
Using the SAME LG flash tool, flash the original 10C kdz (found HERE)

And poof, that was easy.

NEW METHOD (5.0 Lollipop)

Follow this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/general/guide-root-method-lg-devices-t3129197

For LG drivers, use the LG G3 (All Variants) link.

Beer_Animation_2.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHE

Here's the Sprint Bump! thread

Bump! is the replacement for Stump.  It's a workaround unlock (kinda like a bootstrap?  Only different?) that allows you to flash a Bump'd TWRP and any Bump'd zips you want.  

edit:  I guess the link might be helpful...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-lg-g3/orig-development/bump-unlock-lg-g3-twrp-sprint-t2900588

There's a chance you'll need a USCC-specific one, so you might oughta talk to someone about it before flashing all willy-nilly.

Edited by BoгИX

Have not contacted him. Idk how.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

iRub he has this posted as his email.

jcase@cunninglogic.com

The guy who made the post here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/orig-development/root-stump-root-lg-g3-sprint-verizon-t2850906

I say it's worth a shot to email him. Who knows?

Edited by noahthedominator

Just checked the stump root forum. I have a pm from autoprime asking for a bunch of info so he can look into this. Hes part if the dev team behind stump root, purple drake and a couple others. I'll keep you guys posted.

Well, that's the best news I've heard all day!

That's pretty generous of them to look at it for us, given that we are relatively small. Huge kudos!

Well, that's the best news I've heard all day!

That's pretty generous of them to look at it for us, given that we are relatively small. Huge kudos!

Have u tried framaroot?

Just did - lol. Like 45 mins ago.

I saw it in a google search and gave it a go. It didn't work. Sadly.

I'm hoping to find one that's insanely easy and have that eureka moment.

Just did - lol. Like 45 mins ago.

I saw it in a google search and gave it a go. It didn't work. Sadly.

I'm hoping to find one that's insanely easy and have that eureka moment.

Hahah i will keep looking as well. However I'm running out of options lol.Best of luck to you man. IDK how I could ever live without root and I would be just like you, trying to find anything I can that works lol.

Hate to say it but not looking good currently. We went through the usual and known root methods, asking what each error did. But the team isn't looking for an exploit currently because they don't want to use one up to be patched for just one device.

I wondered about that, downgrade to a lower verison firmware and flash the modem separately, that's what one guy I talked to that would work.

Would you need to flash the modem separately? I see the tot firmware to use with lg flash tool, the only other thing I saw was a megalock dll file from a site.

I was just thinking about this last night. The downgrading thing along with the general flashing of things.

Is the stock software/firmware even available for us yet? I have looked a little but haven't found anything. I would kinda like to have the original versions of  things available before I started futzing with things.

Also, I am really hoping something is available soon. Some of my favorite apps are a bit annoying to use right now with out my ad blocker :-[  

Edited by PakRatJR

http://lg-firmware-rom.com

Autoprime told me to go there to get my stock kdz file, which I'm assuming is the stock file. I found another site to download the full software suite which autoprime also told me about but they want $20 for downgraded version and $16 for the stock version. We shall see I guess.

FYI I bought the 10b firmware which is the downgraded version we hopefully need. Just letting you guys know so a few of us don't keep buying the same thing. If it works I'll obviously share all files and information I have. Unfortunately working till 7pm tonight. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try it tonight.