chevy454

Buying used iPhone for USCC: will unlocked worked or need USCC brand?

Question

Looking to get a couple of iPhones, looking at buying used and using on our USCC account.  Will any CDMA unlocked iPhone work straightaway or are we stuck with buying a used USCC iPhone only?

17 answers to this question

Looking to get a couple of iPhones, looking at buying used and using on our USCC account. Will any CDMA unlocked iPhone work straightaway or are we stuck with buying a used USCC iPhone only?

I just switched from Verizon to us cellular today and was able to use my iPhone 6 with them. I have a cousin that works with them and said they can use any iPhone but they can't do Android yet

Sent from my Gold iPhone using Tapatalk

...now that's news to me.

I like that! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my LGUS990

Yep, I called us cellular customer care and they told me that they could not do that and I would have to get another phone. Which I would have to wait. But I went in and she just popped a US sim in and it works and I do have LTE (not the same speed as Verizon though :/ )

That easy!? Huh...

Makes me think they may have made the switch to all Sim based info.

They didnt have to activate the phone on your account? Just pop in the Sim and it was working straight away?

Sent from my LGUS990

That easy!? Huh...

Makes me think they may have made the switch to all Sim based info.

They didnt have to activate the phone on your account? Just pop in the Sim and it was working straight away?

Sent from my LGUS990

Pretty much, only thing I had to pay for was the activation fee

I am going to test that asap. I'll pop my Sim card in an old phone that I have (sadly I left them all at work) - but in theory it would work!?

That's amazing!

Will advise

Sent from my LGUS990

I am going to test that asap. I'll pop my Sim card in an old phone that I have (sadly I left them all at work) - but in theory it would work!?

That's amazing!

Will advise

Sent from my

I was always told thet CDMA phones were locked soley to that carrier from purchase. Considering sprint wouldnt unlock anything and Verizons have been unlocked since the i5(could be used on gsm) wish I would have gotten a chance to rest this with my sprint iPhone 5s and 4s

Edited by kazp3r17

That's amazing!

Will advise

Sent from my

I was always told thet CDMA phones were locked soley to that carrier from purchase. Considering sprint wouldnt unlock anything and Verizons have been unlocked since the i5(could be used on gsm) wish I would have gotten a chance to rest this with my sprint iPhone 5s and 4s

Sprint is actually the worst about locking devices the only exception to this is the Nexus 5 which I would try. Verizon is required by FCC regulation to unlock their phones.

I will say that most Verizon phones won't work with USCC's LTE network. Most don't have LTE band 5 or band 12. More recent iPhones have band 5 like the USCC iPhones do.

I'm pretty sure every carrier is required to unlock their devices and activate unlocked devices by the FCC by a certain deadline I just can't remember what that deadline was exactly. I think it was January 1st 2016.

Sent from my LGUS990

update - tried poping my uscc sim into my old uscc S5 - no go.

It howed signal, and LTE, but calls didnt work at all.

So, looks like it still needs to be MEID activated by uscc's system.

update - tried poping my uscc sim into my old uscc S5 - no go.

It howed signal, and LTE, but calls didnt work at all.

So, looks like it still needs to be MEID activated by uscc's system.

Doesn't work with Android phones only iPhone right now. So if you have a 5s/5c/5 laying around give those a try

But they don't use the same Sim card.

I have a 5S and a 6 here but again they both use nano where all androids use a micro.

Oh well. No biggie. I believe ya, just wish it was as easy as that finally.

Sent from my LGUS990

Should be able to swap SIMs between USCC iPhones. Though on Android devices the SIM appears to be paired to the phone and requires the MEID match the ICCID on the account to use Voice and CDMA services.