mushroom 99

data roaming deal

And if we base things off of this for VoLTE... Well GSM (LTE is GSM) is terrible in coverage in comparison to CDMA for several different reasons. So the way they make it sound is if VoLTE doesn't provide the same coverage (which it won't by any means) then they won't deploy it. But ya know. It's all talk and no play with the carriers.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/us-cellular-trialing-volte-3-markets-expects-launch-later-year/2015-05-01

And if we base things off of this for VoLTE... Well GSM (LTE is GSM) is terrible in coverage in comparison to CDMA for several different reasons. So the way they make it sound is if VoLTE doesn't provide the same coverage (which it won't by any means) then they won't deploy it. But ya know. It's all talk and no play with the carriers.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/us-cellular-trialing-volte-3-markets-expects-launch-later-year/2015-05-01

From my experience with Verizon VoLTE, as long as the call starts in a decent LTE area the phone will fight so hard to hold the call you will see your LTE connection extend into places where even most CDMA calls will fail.

It won't fight to connect to LTE to start a call though. I wish it would or there was a manual setting on my phone to turn up the radio like it does with VoLTE for more LTE coverage.

I performed a little experiment where my cabin is (LTE and Verizon CDMA non-existent without a booster). I started a call on my signal booster with VoLTE then took the phone off the booster and purposefully walked to locations where I normally get no service at all and it held the VoLTE call.

Speed tests while on the phone in these places gave me 0.5-1mbps down, which is far better than what 1x can pull out of the air (if the speed test completes at all).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places where LTE can be better... In the woods on 700MHz. But this is a 700MHz advantage over any other mode and band. It's like the perfect frequency for rural areas. I'm assuming this is why it's slightly better. Otherwise GSM has a flaw that causes less coverage due to more bandwidth and flawed data signalling.

AT&T is the hold up.

Well with the amount of proof you just provided. Zenzr must be the hold up too.

Hey no.... oh. ok. 

Weak sources for sure. And old. Who knows what's holding up the deal. Assuming there is even a deal in progress. Would be nice if my AT&T Nexus could roam on USCC in any format. Maybe in a few years.

The roaming deal is signed. There is supposed to be more announced "late summer". I'm sure the employees involved who actually know who the carrier(s) are are bound by a NDA.

Weak sources for sure. And old. Who knows what's holding up the deal. Assuming there is even a deal in progress. Would be nice if my AT&T Nexus could roam on USCC in any format. Maybe in a few years.

The roaming deal is signed. There is supposed to be more announced "late summer". I'm sure the employees involved who actually know who the carrier(s) are are bound by a NDA.

How do you know it's signed and ready? Please provide proof. I'd love to believe you! But mere words are hollow.

Info always leaks. So signed NDA or not. Either way. We're getting nowhere. The best thing USCC can do right now is sell out. I would love for that. Preferably to Sprint.

Believe him or not, my salesman said he had just had a big meeting and was told everything had been signed and testing was underway... Switch just needed to be flipped...yadda, yadda, yadda. I think USCC should give some up to date and reliable info to their subs so they can keep some of us. I believe most subs don't even know this is happening and it's just us folks bouncing around these forums that hear anything. Hopefully, someone around here that works for USCC will give up some info.

Edited by ahent

Well then somebody flip the freaking switch already! Stop leaking rumors and start leaking results! Actions > words

How do you know it's signed and ready? Please provide proof. I'd love to believe you! But mere words are hollow.

I know an employee who works there, but is not involved in the actual implementation of this LTE roaming. I was told that more would be announced "late summer", they expect it to launch in Q3 (of this year =D), and they don't plan on raising the data roaming limit.

they don't plan on raising the data roaming limit.

That's shameful. If every customer were like me (realistically not at all) they would churn all of their customers within a few months.

Many have stuck around without any useful national roaming for a while now so I guess that policy is no surprise and may not actually present a problem for them. It's just too bad for us data enthusiast types.

Wow, no data increase! I think I will stick with USCC long enough to confirm this and then I may have to move on to another carrier. It sucks because I have been with them since 1994 (it was an NEC Talktime 800, google it, the thing was massive) and have given them every benefit of the doubt, but now that I travel more it is becoming more and more unrealistic for me to do business with them if they continue with this business model.

Wow, no data increase! I think I will stick with USCC long enough to confirm this and then I may have to move on to another carrier. It sucks because I have been with them since 1994 (it was an NEC Talktime 800, google it, the thing was massive) and have given them every benefit of the doubt, but now that I travel more it is becoming more and more unrealistic for me to do business with them if they continue with this business model.

Yeah, who knows. By the time they start the LTE roaming, maybe something will change. This is the "Rumor Mill" subforum after all.

I just wish they would say SOMETHING other than nothing.

Who knows. Maybe their roaming agreement is with Tmo and it will make roaming better in 1% of the country. Or it could be VZW (lol)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm trying to look at the positive side of this!

If they keep the 200 mb roaming limit it will make my decision to leave that much easier. Whoever is their roaming partner will likely get my business so I can still use USCC's network when I'm back in SW WI and IA where everyone but Verizon's service sucks.

I'm sure whoever is on the other end of the roaming agreement won't be stupid enough to limit their customers to 200 mb. Idiots.

If I was them I would use all carriers available for roaming.

Use the most favorable partners first (and market that roaming as native without limits) then offer the more expensive roaming with the 200mb limit.

I know AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint all want a USCC agreement. Make Sprint and T-Mobile native then make AT&T subject to the limit. It's a win-win-win in my mind.

Edit: and if I had to wait on VoLTE for the T-Mobile and AT&T side of this, I would just activate the Sprint coverage now and activate the others later rather than waiting.

Edited by lynyrd65

This is precisely why I want my project fi invite.

Sure sprint service blows here, but at least when I travel I'll have native 4g coverage.

Sure sprint service blows here, but at least when I travel I'll have native 4g coverage.

Working on it. I'll try rattling some cages tomorrow. I'm surprised they haven't gotten to it yet.

Edited by lynyrd65

Working on it. I'll try rattling some cages tomorrow. I'm surprised they haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm not, but I'm also not really in a huge hurry. No rush whatsoever sir.

here in logansport indina the data is fine

travel to lafayette or kokomo (as we frequently do) and data coverage sucks right now

here's hoping they get this aggrement thru asap

FierceWireless.com has.an article titled "U.S. Cellular to launch LTE roaming in next 60-90 days", but as of now it links to the 2nd Quarter financials --> http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/us-cellular-keeps-postpaid-subscriber-growth-chugging-along-q2/2015-07-31

Great news, and even better username!