mushroom 99

data roaming deal

On the TDS and USM 2nd quarter conference call today, when asked about where the LTE roaming agreement is and announcing who the partner is, CEO Ken Meyers said, "At the right time we will. Where we're at right now is, yes, we're done. We're in the implementation stages and implementation takes work by the respective engineering organizations to connect these because of the way this data flows on the network as opposed to what voice does and we expect to be launching that to our customer base within the next 60 to 90 days. There will be other changes in connection with that so when we get there we'll make a larger announcement. But it's the first of what I expect to be multiple, we're working on others every day too."

Edited by GoPackGo

HD calling would be nice

WIFI calling would be nice

LTE roaming would be nice (w/o a cap)

Fair/lower priced data would be nice

Maybe I'm alone, but... Doesn't this seem old news-ish?

Why haven't they worked on getting the LTE network MORE capable of higher capacity (or speeds) before venturing into something that will congest it that much more?

Sent from my Nexus 6

From what I have heard talking with others there is or will be some growing pains with V.O. LTE from a standpoint of reception. I know that they were working to try and get things working as well as we are all used to so fingers crossed it will..

But yes WIFI Calling would be a welcome feature for sure since there are places were the voice signal is not the best..

I wonder if US Cellular will charge customers more who want more roaming data instead of raising (or eliminating) the roaming cap alltogether with this LTE roaming agreement. It wouldn't surprise me.

BUMP!

Anyone heard about any updates from USCC on the LTE roaming agreement? I know we were told 60-90 days from the Q2 recap, but I was hoping some details would start trickling out. 

I cant find ANYTHING online - but my $ is on sprint as it's "most like" uscc as far as what bands it uses for LTE and general service.

BUT - sprint's coverage is horrible anywhere but major cities and interstates. So... I'm not holding my breath for anything that we would consider "impressive" or get all excited about.

Could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I can't say I have my hopes up.

I cant find ANYTHING online - but my $ is on sprint as it's "most like" uscc as far as what bands it uses for LTE and general service.

BUT - sprint's coverage is horrible anywhere but major cities and interstates. So... I'm not holding my breath for anything that we would consider "impressive" or get all excited about.

Could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I can't say I have my hopes up.

I'm still of the opinion that any of the big 4 would help provide better LTE coverage, but you're right, they would be my last choice if given an option. My vote is still AT&T since it's the only one we've actually heard direct press releases regarding. 

Hey guys, I just got back from vacation and roamed the whole time in USCC covered areas so I called and gave em a piece of my mind.  Yesterday a customer service rep told me that the deal that has GONE THROUGH already is with Sprint, and today I was talking to customer relations and I was told that the deal has gone through and will be implemented prior to Sept 30, and should greatly increase the roaming data cap with 4g capability.  Take it for what its worth but thats what they told me.

ANY news is good news at this point. I'm especially interested in the "and should greatly increase the roaming data cap with 4g capability" part :)

​Maybe we can finally bid farewell to the 200 mb cap once and for all?

I wanna see better 3G roaming speeds since I don't haz 4G.

I have been in central Florida (Disney World) for about a week and can confirm NO roaming 4G here yet. I am taking xcaj at their word, but we have heard the CSRs giving this info out before. I was told by May when I re-upped in March.

I've just kind of let go of expectations.

That way I'm never disappointed. Oh, they'll have roaming data in May - but its already almost September - and I just can't care anymore.

As much as I want it, they've never been known for doing anything timely - except billing the same as the big 4 prior to actually being able to compete with the big 4 on any level.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

We just came back from 5 days in Baltimore and obviously were roaming the entire time, burned thru about 1Gb(both reg and tethered) at 3g before I really noticed any slowdown.

Anyone gotten more than 2 of those nasty "you went over your 200MB" letters?

I got my first one last June, and on top of the Galaxy S3 fiasco (tl;dr: They had defective radios, Samsung offered to replace only so many, and US Cellular mainly replaced corporate accounts' phones, and the customers they thought they'd mind losing the most — naturally, I wasn't on that list) I moved my personal line to Verizon within a couple days. Now this past June they sent me one again, because my wife went over (I still have her line on US Cellular, though it's in my name). Her contract's up this week or next, I forget, but she's not in a big hurry to move. Verizon's better where we live, but US Cellular is better where she works, by a little bit, and definitely better at her mom's house. So no big rush. But I would like to see that roaming limit go. I'm just worried because next year, we're going to spend 10 days in California, and roaming on US Cellular is not fun. On the Galaxy S3 in New York City and Stamford CT, I stayed on 1X most of the time. It was not 3G. It was mostly unusable except when I could get on Wi-Fi at the Stamford mall or a Starbucks somewhere (Barnes & Noble in Norwalk, and others). This year, my wife said she got 3G with the 2013 Moto X. Not sure if it's got something the S3 didn't (well, besides Samsung devices generally having crappy modems), but she was able to use 3G.

Might even be willing to move my line back to US Cellular if they get the roaming mess fixed. I left for three reasons. The Galaxy S3 thing. The roaming. And US Cellular didn't/doesn't carry the HTC One M8. I wanted the best phone available at the time and US Cellular wasn't getting it, so I went to Verizon for it, and their network. US Cellular says on their page that they can beat Verizon on price, but that's a lie. Same plan, US Cellular bill is $5 more. $80 for Verizon, $85 for US Cellular. One's local, the other is national. Funny thing is, though, when we first signed up with US Cellular in 2007, we paid an extra ten bucks a month for national use, not just local.

US Cellular says on their page that they can beat Verizon on price, but that's a lie. Same plan, US Cellular bill is $5 more. $80 for Verizon, $85 for US Cellular.

What plan are you looking at? If you assume two smartphones,

1 GB - VZW = $70, USCC = $70

3 GB - VZW = $85, USCC = $90

6 GB - VZW = $100, USCC = $100

12GB - VZW = $120, USCC = $140

Plus taxes and fees for each. I'm not sure if Verizon has the equivalent of the "Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee" which is $1.82/line at US Cellular. This could make USCC (even) more expensive in some cases. US Cellular really only gets cheaper if you have 8GB or larger shared data and more than two lines.

VZW on the More everything had 15GB for $100 and 10GB for $80 + $40/device.

If you own the phone:

$130 = $30(devices)+$100(data)

Or $110 for 10GB.

US Cellular says on their page that they can beat Verizon on price, but that's a lie. Same plan, US Cellular bill is $5 more. $80 for Verizon, $85 for US Cellular.

What plan are you looking at? If you assume two smartphones,

1 GB - VZW = $70, USCC = $70

3 GB - VZW = $85, USCC = $90

6 GB - VZW = $100, USCC = $100

12GB - VZW = $120, USCC = $140

Plus taxes and fees for each. I'm not sure if Verizon has the equivalent of the "Regulatory Cost Recovery Fee" which is $1.82/line at US Cellular. This could make USCC (even) more expensive in some cases. US Cellular really only gets cheaper if you have 8GB or larger shared data and more than two lines.

None of those. Those are plans currently offered. Here's what my Verizon and US Cellular plans actually have, and what my bill actually is. 2GB data, unlimited talk/text. $81 for Verizon, $86 for US Cellular.

My Verizon plan is listed at $75, so it has about $7 in fees, taxes, and all that. I don't actually recall what the base US Cellular plan is. Does it really matter, though? All that matters to me is what I pay each month.

I don't mind paying $5 more for US Cellular. It's only $5. I'd move my wife to Verizon just for the roaming, but she uses her phone in areas Verizon's coverage lacks more than she roams. Actually thinking of going to T-Mobile myself, but they only cover where I live, not where I work, so they need to build some towers first. I was pretty loyal to US Cellular a few years ago. Now I consider myself a free agent. Don't particularly love any of them, but I like keeping up with what they're all doing, so I don't miss any good opportunities.

VZW on the More everything had 15GB for $100 and 10GB for $80 + $40/device.

If you own the phone:

$130 = $30(devices)+$100(data)

Or $110 for 10GB.

New customers only. If you're talking about the plan I think you are (10GB for $80), I was on vacation when they announced that. The very next day (it was at night when I heard) we were in a Verizon store and I was asking about it. Of course they don't say that on the commercial. But yeah, gave them my phone number — they said it was okay that I was from ~12 hours away, Verizon is Verizon and I can handle my business in any of their stores. But then they said that I was locked into the plan I'm on (see above) for another year and could not change mid-plan. So, if US Cellular still lets you change the plan in the middle of your two-year term, don't take that for granted.

It's funny, I remember 2-3 years ago we were all up here complaining about US Cellular bending over backwards for new customers but not doing right by existing ones. Verizon does it, too.

Edited by Dark Reality

Are you guys talking Verizon's old plans or new ones? They rolled out new pricing.

1 gb for $30

3 gb for $45

6 gb for $60

12 gb for $80.

Connection fee is $20 per a smartphone.

Well that's no fun.

I'll check it now. I remember a slightly different structure

OK I looked.

That's pretty stupid compared to what they had.

Now 20G is $120 (same as old plan price) but no 15 GB option.

Idk they always twist them around so they seem different, but never are. They had 10-15-20 GB plans, now its a max of 12 then a jump to 20.

For me I pay for $90 for 10 with us cell, verizon would be comparably priced with better/faster speeds, plus wife gets 20% off there. We each use 3.5 gigs roughly a month, so I'd say their set a more attractive option now...

But in relation to this post, Sprint wouldn't benefit Or help me at all. The service isn't good in maine. AT&T is need to take a test run, was horrible but seems greatly improved. Actually a co-worker has better AT&T reception at work then me, which a few years ago was unheard of. So I vote AT&T haha

As xcaj mentioned earlier, the LTE roaming partner is Sprint, unfortunately I don't know anything interesting about the roaming allowance or when the roaming will go live, sorry.