mushroom 99

data roaming deal

Had to call into CS yesterday to find out when my PED was up, and decided to probe the guy a bit about the roaming agreement. 

He seemed to think it was unilateral agreement between all carriers for LTE roaming...so maybe that's phase two after the Sprint portion goes through? When I asked him about the 200 MB cap, he was pretty frank and said he really didn't expect it to go up at all with the agreement. At least, not before the end of this year. 

Here's hoping he is wrong, otherwise I'm gone this fall once the new Nexus(es) come out. 

Yeah, I am waiting to see what shakes out and see if it sucks if it does, then getting the new moto x or new nexus and changing carriers. I figure I have to pay for the entire phone wherever I go so I will get a phone that works with all carriers or Fi and see what kind of deals I can get for switching.

Edited by ahent

Same here, if the deal sucks I'll be getting one of the devices which works everywhere: new Nexus 6, Moto X 2015, or just sticking with my current Nexus 6...only tricky part will be convincing my wife to get one of those devices as well. 

I do miss device subsidies, but there is definitely an advantage to being able to just up and move to a new carrier depending on what service works best at the time. 

And THATS why I got the Nexus 6 (in retrospect) - i love the nexus even if it were carrier specific, but.. it's not, so I got the cake and got to eat it too.

So, I just want to be perfectly clear- N6, New Nexus, Moto X 2015, and assuming more newer phones will all be cross capable for ALL carriers? Just walk into Verizon, USCC, ATT and they'll activate it, correct?  

Well, not all phones will be like that. My understanding is that the new Moto X and the current and new Nexus devices, but I think there will still be carrier specific devices like the new Verizon Droid.

So, I just want to be perfectly clear- N6, New Nexus, Moto X 2015, and assuming more newer phones will all be cross capable for ALL carriers? Just walk into Verizon, USCC, ATT and they'll activate it, correct?  

The Nexus 6 and the new Moto X 2015 both are confirmed as working with any carrier. There hasn't been any confirmation that the new Nexuses will be cross carrier compatible, but given the current Nexus 6 is, it seems unlikely Google would take a step back with their new devices. 

If those new Nexuses are going to be available for Project Fi (which also seems likely) they would have to work on multiple carriers (Sprint and TMo) to be available for that program. The only real question is whether the new Nexuses will be able to be activated on Verizon, since Verizon doesn't like to play well with others. 

I'm sure they will - and I will confirm this the moment I get the chance.

If it works the way it does not, you just pop the sim card in and bam, works.

Or we could jump ship to T-Mobile and roam off US Cellular! That is, if T-Mobile hasn't disabled Band 12 on the phones through OTA updates yet, as it has on the Moto G & E and on another unnamed manufacturer's phones.

(http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/26/why-is-t-mobile-telling-manufacturers-to-remove-band-12-lte-support-from-some-unlocked-smartphones/)

Or we could jump ship to T-Mobile and roam off US Cellular! That is, if T-Mobile hasn't disabled Band 12 on the phones through OTA updates yet, as it has on the Moto G & E and on another unnamed manufacturer's phones.

(http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/26/why-is-t-mobile-telling-manufacturers-to-remove-band-12-lte-support-from-some-unlocked-smartphones/)

They are only asking carrier-unlocked devices that don't have VoLTE capability have Band 12 removed.  Doesn't affect any TMO devices that have it, nor carrier-unlocked devices like the Moto Nexus that have it built in.

But yeah, since we're the ONLY other carrier to use Band 12 LTE, we are getting shafted in regard to buying an unlocked device to use on USCC.  It was looking so great after they started activating the Nexus from the Play Store.  But now we'll have to stick to USCC-branded devices in order to use Band 12.

I get decent coverage with Tmobile here...If they have USCC and Sprint (and a bunch of other CCA carriers) as LTE roaming partners, I would actually consider switching to them. 

The prospect of having unlimited streaming music is VERY tempting...75% of my data usage in a month is from Google Music. 

I don't understand the need to stream. But then again I have a 160gb iPod lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If you have a streaming music service like Spotify, Google Music, Rhapsody, Apple Music...etc, it's a must. Yes, I can download music to listen to offline, but that takes a lot of fun away from discovering new music and bands. 

Maybe I just get bored with the several thousand songs I already have in my library...haha. We are so spoiled. I distinctly remember downloading music on Napster at 10 kb/s back before broadband was out everywhere. There will never be any excitement like the first time I burned a mix CD to listen to in my car...man I'm old. 

US Cellular's new ad campaign. They are perpetuating this middle of anywhere claim in exactly the most misleading way. How could anyone use their phone and be happy with it in these places?!

Screen+Shot+2015-08-30+at+9.09.51+AM.png

They can't.

I have prime examples of where USCC doesn't work at all "in the middle of anywhere" and they say it's an LTE area.

I don't agree with that slogan.

OMG. I cringe every time I see it. I can be along a highway less than 10 miles away from a county seat and have 1x data. Forget 'way out here' Bunch of liars. 

I know what you guys mean...everytime I see that iphone for USCC commercial with the guy in the mountain I just laugh. There is absolutely no where in USCC's coverage area that looks like. Heck, there are barely any places where you can video chat with anyone and have it look that clear on their network. 

I hope someone files a false advertising complaint against them. 

If you have a streaming music service like Spotify, Google Music, Rhapsody, Apple Music...etc, it's a must. Yes, I can download music to listen to offline, but that takes a lot of fun away from discovering new music and bands. 

Maybe I just get bored with the several thousand songs I already have in my library...haha. We are so spoiled. I distinctly remember downloading music on Napster at 10 kb/s back before broadband was out everywhere. There will never be any excitement like the first time I burned a mix CD to listen to in my car...man I'm old. 

I distinctly remember sitting around with fingers hovering over the "record" button on my cassette player, just waiting for a Van Halen song to come on. And dubbing cassettes in real-time. Or recording my records on cassette so I could listen to them on my Walkman.

We worked for our favorite music back then. 

I know what you guys mean...everytime I see that iphone for USCC commercial with the guy in the mountain I just laugh. There is absolutely no where in USCC's coverage area that looks like. Heck, there are barely any places where you can video chat with anyone and have it look that clear on their network.

I hope someone files a false advertising complaint against them.

Maybe it is only available on iPhone devices? Call from the middle of nowhere is you have an iPhone... ???