jeremyphone

Roaming Indicator Off

OK, I am able to modify the framework-res.apk to show "U.S. Cellular". However. I need to figure out how to make a flashable zip file. :D

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 6

Also, what exactly did you change in that apk to make it read us cellular?

Every single time I play with the framework apk it always ends up screwing the phone up really bad. So I just stop playing with it

You tell me what the edit and I will just make a replacement frame work apk for everybody.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Every single time I play with the framework apk it always ends up screwing the phone up really bad. So I just stop playing with it

You tell me what the edit and I will just make a replacement frame work apk for everybody.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I certainly appreciate the concern. I've been running my update since around 4pm. I'll give the steps and location of the XML file I updated in a bit. Hang tight and I'll update this post. Team work is very much appreciated.

First I downloaded the latest available APKTOOL version 2.0.0-a766db-SNAPSHOT from

post #2812 from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1755243&page=282

Most all of the credit belongs to iBotPeaches over on XDA.  :D

I am currently running the rooted version of LMY47I.  I connected my phone to my computer.

entered the following command to pull the framework file:

adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk

Next I installed the framework into the apktool with:

apktool if framework-res.apk

Decompile with: apktool d framework-res.apk

change directory to where the string.xml file is located:

C:\apk\framework-res\res\values

Changed line 194 from "Roaming Indicator Off" to "U.S. Cellular" with notepad++ and saved the file.

Next I compiled a new framework with:

apktool b framework-res framework-res.apk -c

Copied the updated framework-res.apk from the "dist" directory: C:\apk\framework-res\dist

onto the root of the sdcard of my phone.

Then using Root Explorer, I copied it to /system first and changed the permissisions

to check marked all three entries first column to read only, and the top middle box to write.

I'll see if there is some way to get a screen shot of that.  :D

The last step is copy from the /system folder to /system/framework and overwrite the existing

framework-res.apk file.

My phone reboots instantly when that is done.  Just be aware.  But then it boots up normal.

Please ask any questions you like.  We can certainly help each other with this.

Make sure you have a nandroid backup before you copy the updated framework.  Just in case!

But so far so good!

Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 6

Edited by Kevin58

Tomorrow I'll do the same for 47D if y'all want. That away we can make a post that has flashable zips for all 3 different 5.1 firmwares since I'm assuming the framework-res.apk is not exactly the same between all the versions.

Although, they might be, I don't know how you could check if every file is exactly the same in that .apk file

Sent from my Nexus 6

So I've gotten the .apk file decompiled and edited and saved, but I can't get it to rebuild into an apk. Anyone got any ideas?

Tomorrow I'll make a video in fraps of what I'm doing and maybe someone could point out what I'm doing wrong

Sent from my Nexus 6

So I've gotten the .apk file decompiled and edited and saved, but I can't get it to rebuild into an apk. Anyone got any ideas?

Tomorrow I'll make a video in fraps of what I'm doing and maybe someone could point out what I'm doing wrong

Sent from my Nexus 6

I'm using Java 1.7 32bit JDK.  It won't work with the 64bit JDK.  It does not work with 1.8 either.  :)

Open a command prompt and enter "java -version".  This is what I have:

java version "1.7.0_75"

Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_75-b13)

Java HotSpot Client VM (build 24.75-b04, mixed mode, sharing)

Edited by Kevin58

Funny how this bug doesn't affect other lollipop devices. Moto x, 2nd gen anyone chime in? 1st gen x it doesn't.

I just find it strange that the nexus does but then again it is pure android and maybe it was left that way with so many carriers? Or am I making up excuses? ;)

Funny how this bug doesn't affect other lollipop devices. Moto x, 2nd gen anyone chime in? 1st gen x it doesn't.

I just find it strange that the nexus does but then again it is pure android and maybe it was left that way with so many carriers? Or am I making up excuses? ;)

Yah, you're making excuses.  ;)   lol

Edited by Kevin58

Those other phones also don't natively support ALL US carriers though. They're either CDMA or GSM not both. 

Those other phones also don't natively support ALL US carriers though. They're either CDMA or GSM not both.
That would make sense... Goes along with my comment how it was that way with so many carriers with this same one device... Not many different flavors of the device but the same device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by dBuster

I've not had to flash the fix on Chroma in a few builds either.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So... I KEEP getting this ANYTIME I go from wifi to cellular...

Cellular will not work until I sign into uscc again. Idfk how this happened but... Anyone got ideas?

9c24a0434436997e04b205ccbda60a83.jpg

What I've already tried:

*228 (won't work until I sign in)

Removal/reinsert sim

Reboot w and w/o cache wipe

Checked *#*#4636#*#* and its all normal

I have roaming data on, set to automatic

I'm fresh out of ideas. But its annoying as hell.

Are you on M? That forced me to go back to lollipop.

X2.

Weird part, I have never seen this before, even on the M preview this didn't happen to me.

I've been using the phone like normal, roamed for ~1 hour the other day but nothing other than that.

Lol. Idk. I guess I'll see if it keeps happening and troubleshoot from there.

It really isn't all that terrible, it's just rather annoying.

Have you found a fix for having to sign in?  I've been experiencing it about as long as you have.  At first I thought it was the radio, but I've gone back to 5.1 98R and it's still doing it.  I'm also using Chroma... I wonder if it's an issue with the ROM, but I hate asking for help on XDA because they are prone to biting your head off, and don't seem to care about smaller carriers.