snoprosledneck88

Battery Life and Charging

I know its still early but what kind of battery life is everyone seeing? What is your charging regimen? stock, rooted, custom rom, kernel? Let start to gather some battery saving tips for everyone's benefit. (BTW why cant i find where it says how long my phone has been off the charger?)

I charged this morning at work. Running Sensei kernel UC'ed. Yesterday I only got down to 50% on 100% stock and I was almost 3 hours SOT.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Mine has been off the charger since 9:30pm last night and im at about 2 hours of sot and 2 hours of voice calls and im at 56%..... Doesnt seem bad, really interested to see how it is after a few days and the battery gets settled in.

Mine seems pretty good. Took it off the charger this morning at 7, about 1.5 hours screen on time today and down to 81% all on 3g. As of right now, I'm just stock rooted. I've also noticed that standby times are great compared to both the note 2 I used to have.

Also does anyone have an idea of how much battery life the encryption uses? Just wondering if it would get any better if I got rid of the encryption stuff. Not saying it's bad to begin with lol

Also does anyone have an idea of how much battery life the encryption uses? Just wondering if it would get any better if I got rid of the encryption stuff. Not saying it's bad to begin with lol

I'm pretty sure it's negligible either way.  

I'm pretty sure it's negligible either way.
I gotcha. I just thought that having to encrypt and decrypt everything would take a toll on the battery because of having to use more processing power. Thanks for the quick reply!

Thought I'm not 100% on that, I am interested to find out. I'll be decrypting tonight to see what it's like. 

Okay. Let us know how smooth the process is. I might do it just because it doesn't benefit me in any way

Initial stats on Sensei kernel.

post-7207-141823739913_thumb.png

post-7207-141823740345_thumb.png

Edited by Zenzr

So I have done some research on battery charging, for cell phone. This is what I have came up with. Charge your device often or top it off often. The old rule of charging your device to 100% then going to 0% is not the case with lithium ion batteries. They like to kept cool and charged more often than not. They will not build memory like the old batteries would. Some recommend charging when you get to 30 or 40% and taking it off the charger before it gets to 100% if it does get to 100% take it off right away. So I guess while I'm at work on lunch by my computer I will just toss it on the charger to top it off. Hope this helps.

2 hours of Screen on time, 1 hour of talk time via phone, and another 2 hours via Google Hangouts, and I'm hitting 51% with roughly 5 hours left according to the battery marker

Seems kind of low to me? Hopefully it will continue to get better as the OS settles in a bit. 

So I have done some research on battery charging, for cell phone. This is what I have came up with. Charge your device often or top it off often. The old rule of charging your device to 100% then going to 0% is not the case with lithium ion batteries. They like to kept cool and charged more often than not. They will not build memory like the old batteries would. Some recommend charging when you get to 30 or 40% and taking it off the charger before it gets to 100% if it does get to 100% take it off right away. So I guess while I'm at work on lunch by my computer I will just toss it on the charger to top it off. Hope this helps.

Oh really? Now you believe me, after someone else says it? Wow

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

Never said that I didn't believe you. As a matter a fact I asked you to tell me what you did to get better battery life and how to make your battery last longer

Moose play nice.

Never said that I didn't believe you. As a matter a fact I asked you to tell me what you did to get better battery life and how to make your battery last longer
People don't like the battery advice I give, because it's not convenient enough. I'll admit, it's a pain in the butt, and it's not fun. I do it because to me, my loved ones come first and I want to have my phone ready in case of emergency (I'm uncomfortable if I'm out and about and only have 20% juice).

I am sure I'll forget a bunch, but I can give you what I remember off the top of my head.

1. Use 3g. It's just as fast and is more stable (around here) and uses less juice to run one antenna than 2.

2. Turn wifi off when not in use.

3. Keep screen dim. I don't recommend auto brightness but I do use it sometimes.

4. After using your phone for a bit, and your going to sleep it and put it away for a bit, kill all running apps.

5. Always keep GPS off!

Keep screen timeout set as short as you can stand. I usually sleep mine when I'm done (rather than wait for timeout).

Battery health tips:

1. Don't charge overnight (sorry).

2. Unplug when it reaches 100%. For best results in battery life I leave mine on the charger for 20-30 minutes after 100% - seems to give me significantly longer run times.

3. Try your best to charge while not using the device. Keeps temperatures down.

4. Once a month or so, I run it down until it shuts off. Then I power in and let it shutdown again. Then I charge to full without powering on. Once again, let charge a little passed 100%.

5. Charge when you get to 30% (20-40% is when I plug in unless I'm going for screen on maximum).

The nights that I know I'm going to charge, I'll throw it on the charger 2 hours before I go to bed. I use my tablet or an old phone in it's place. Then it's ready to reboot and unplug. Let it fully reboot and let it sit for a minute or two before unplugging. Then unplug and go to bed. Enjoy the extra battery life over the next 2 days before you'll need to plug in again.

Edited by HikingMoose

That's 8 hours screen on time with 20% remaining (but couldn't go another day so I had to charge). That's a lot of user! 4 hours a day staring at a stupid phone! My eyes are going to go bad.

And top be fair, that's Touchwiz. Which always gets better battery life for me. So the Nexus will probably not (but should definitely) be able to reach that. No idea why TW outperforms aosp. It goes against all common sense.

Keep in mind. You may not agree with what I say, or how I do things, or think in wrong. But keep in mind I am a scientist for my state government. I pay attention to details and patterns than most others would never notice.

Edited by HikingMoose

You're note 3 also doesn't have a 1440p screen though.

Spec wise the Note 3/Note 4 and Nexus 6 are close. Makes sens your Note 3 get's crazy battery life. 

Edited by Zenzr