mushroom 99

roaming

21 posts in this topic

Quick question..I recently switched to us cellular and have great 4g all around my normal area.....but wondering if when I travel to an area with no us cellular towers, will I be able to use data? If so will it go count towards by shared 10gb like native, and lastly will it be throttled to 1x, or remain 4g or 3g.

You'll be able to use data - but you'll only get 200MB at full speed - after that it will be 3G or whatever it says but it will be 1x speed.

Unless that roaming agreement goes thru that's how it will be.

But yes it will count toward your data limit - but at those speeds you'll never hit it.

Sent from my Nexus 6

If its "native" its USCC coverage - not sprint or vzw - in "native" areas you should be fine on speed.

I think.

Its when you leave USCC coverage that it gets useless.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Anyone heard anything more about this? Seems as though there was a build up to some kind of announcement coming in Q1, and as usual nothing ever came of it. 

Anyone ever had them waive the 200 mb limit per billing cycle for an extended trip? 

I have only ever heard of ONE account that had the 200mb limit lifted as it was (and follow me here) an emergency trip?  I think?  

If it's a vaca, they probably wont do it, but if it were something that you had no control over (or if you just tell them it's a family member in bad health?) they may sympathize with you...?

It's a work trip. Normally my trips to TX or CA are only about a week, so the 200mb is never an issue, but being going two weeks make me think I'll be bumping up against the 200 mb by the end of it. 

Worth a call I guess. Just one more thing pushing me closer to another carrier. I can't wait to see what Google rolls out at I/O. Even if it is an MVNO, if it's got both T-mobile and Sprint on board it would be good enough for me where I live. Time will tell...

Edited by weberr90

I am going on vaca in May, to FL - where I would also be a victim of the 200mb cap-o-doom.

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to get a prepaid vzw plan and use my N6 while down there.  I will be gone for 15 days, and should it rain even 1 day, there goes my 200mb of data, no problem.  

So I feel ya.  I really do.

I will call also in the next week. I'll explain that it's a business trip and see what they say - you can say whatever you want, but let me know what you say and wht they say - that way I can change my story to test other potential methods of side stepping this stupid thing.

I am going on vaca in May, to FL - where I would also be a victim of the 200mb cap-o-doom.

I'm about 99% sure I'm going to get a prepaid vzw plan and use my N6 while down there.  I will be gone for 15 days, and should it rain even 1 day, there goes my 200mb of data, no problem.  

So I feel ya.  I really do.

I will call also in the next week. I'll explain that it's a business trip and see what they say - you can say whatever you want, but let me know what you say and wht they say - that way I can change my story to test other potential methods of side stepping this stupid thing.

What Verizon PP were you looking at?

Idk... Honestly I was looking at the More Everything plans.

If you bring your own phone there's no monthly contract but its post paid.

Sent from my Nexus 6

My budget was about $50 so idk if that's an option for me. :/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Neither my meid or iemi are successful when I look at the bring your own device.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It won't be.

You have to use a dummy imei from a device that has a nano Sim.

I went to a vzw store, looked at a dummy phones imei and used that to get them to send me the "replacement" Sim. I used an M8.

They don't care what phone it is - and if you have the vzw Sim in the N6 - everything works right away with ONLY the Sim card.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I was just trying to get an idea for plan pricing, If they can beat the unlimited talk/text from Cricket or TMO prepaid I'm all in. Verizon has the best servive I think where I'll be going and I'd gladly jump on the official verizon network for a week plus a few days. 

No dice on telling them I had to travel for work. They said there is absolutely nothing they can do to prevent me from throttling to 1x after the 200mb cap. Guess I'll be staying on the hotel's wifi as much as possible, and getting other people to use the navigation on their phones.

One step closer to leaving USCC. Come on Google Wireless...Daddy needs a new carrier! 

How bad is your wireless carrier, when you have to get a prepaid Verizon (or any other carrier for that matter) plan just to have enough data/good speeds when you roam? 

I've been with US Cellular for a long time but they are getting worse by the day...

How bad is your wireless carrier, when you have to get a prepaid Verizon (or any other carrier for that matter) plan just to have enough data/good speeds when you roam? 

I've been with US Cellular for a long time but they are getting worse by the day...

I mean, to be 100% fair USCC has never and won't ever be a national carrier. But they could at least get some decent roaming agreements with like Sprint or Verizon. 

I'll try the whole "my family member is..." Thing.

I do have family down there and they are older than dirt, so my story will have merit should they badger me about details.

If I should not be successful, I'll be using VZW down there because I've gone down 4 times, each with uscc, and every time I cuss myself for not doing something about it beforehand - this time I'm going to be ready.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I'll try the whole "my family member is..." Thing.

I do have family down there and they are older than dirt, so my story will have merit should they badger me about details.

If I should not be successful, I'll be using VZW down there because I've gone down 4 times, each with uscc, and every time I cuss myself for not doing something about it beforehand - this time I'm going to be ready.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Good luck, let us know what they tell you. My prediction is you'll get the same answer as me, but I hope not!