Sign in to follow this  
Fallstar

Alarm sound files

I use the built in alarm almost every day to get me up for work in the morning. On the Nexus 6, the choices of alarm sounds are meh, so I wanted to copy a few of the Samsung alarm sounds over. Using dropbox, I got a couple of the sound files saved to the internal SD card in a folder named Alarm, but the files don't show up in the selection list when I go to change the alarm sound. In fact, it won't give me the option to use other. I tried to copy (and move) the files using ES File Explorer to the system/media/audio/alarms folder where the stock sounds are located, but it fails every time! Here's the error:    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or why it doesn't know to look at the Alarm folder on the SD card?

nexus6alarm_zps870f62ce.jpg

I use the built in alarm almost every day to get me up for work in the morning. On the Nexus 6, the choices of alarm sounds are meh, so I wanted to copy a few of the Samsung alarm sounds over. Using dropbox, I got a couple of the sound files saved to the internal SD card in a folder named Alarm, but the files don't show up in the selection list when I go to change the alarm sound. In fact, it won't give me the option to use other. I tried to copy (and move) the files using ES File Explorer to the system/media/audio/alarms folder where the stock sounds are located, but it fails every time! Here's the error: Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or why it doesn't know to look at the Alarm folder on the SD card?

nexus6alarm_zps870f62ce.jpg

To be clear... you can't copy files to that location unless you are rooted. Also, you say you are trying to change the sound on the alarm itself (which I believe is the only way) and don't have any options? I have several options for it, it's labeled as default ringtone.

I copied a FLAC file to the alarms folder on my sdcard and it shows up and plays normally. Perhaps the problem is with the file or the ogg format?

Hmm... I use root explorer and it let's me do it without issue.

Did you mount it as RW prior to pasting in there?

Sent from my Nexus 6

Hm, not sure what RW is, so I guess not. Maybe I need to be rooted?

I use the built in alarm almost every day to get me up for work in the morning. On the Nexus 6, the choices of alarm sounds are meh, so I wanted to copy a few of the Samsung alarm sounds over. Using dropbox, I got a couple of the sound files saved to the internal SD card in a folder named Alarm, but the files don't show up in the selection list when I go to change the alarm sound. In fact, it won't give me the option to use other. I tried to copy (and move) the files using ES File Explorer to the system/media/audio/alarms folder where the stock sounds are located, but it fails every time! Here's the error: Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or why it doesn't know to look at the Alarm folder on the SD card?nexus6alarm_zps870f62ce.jpg

To be clear... you can't copy files to that location unless you are rooted. Also, you say you are trying to change the sound on the alarm itself (which I believe is the only way) and don't have any options? I have several options for it, it's labeled as default ringtone.

I copied a FLAC file to the alarms folder on my sdcard and it shows up and plays normally. Perhaps the problem is with the file or the ogg format?

OK, I wondered if I needed to be rooted. But I was able to do it on my unrooted Note 2. When I tap on the alarm sound in the alarm settings, I get a list of a dozen sound names (the ones that came with the device) but it doesn't give an "other" choice to add your own, like some other phones.

The sound I'm trying to add is also an OGG file. I just don't understand why it's not seeing the sound folder on the SD card. Thanks for your replies

I use the built in alarm almost every day to get me up for work in the morning. On the Nexus 6, the choices of alarm sounds are meh, so I wanted to copy a few of the Samsung alarm sounds over. Using dropbox, I got a couple of the sound files saved to the internal SD card in a folder named Alarm, but the files don't show up in the selection list when I go to change the alarm sound. In fact, it won't give me the option to use other. I tried to copy (and move) the files using ES File Explorer to the system/media/audio/alarms folder where the stock sounds are located, but it fails every time! Here's the error: Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Or why it doesn't know to look at the Alarm folder on the SD card?nexus6alarm_zps870f62ce.jpg

OK, I wondered if I needed to be rooted. But I was able to do it on my unrooted Note 2. When I tap on the alarm sound in the alarm settings, I get a list of a dozen sound names (the ones that came with the device) but it doesn't give an "other" choice to add your own, like some other phones.

The sound I'm trying to add is also an OGG file. I just don't understand why it's not seeing the sound folder on the SD card. Thanks for your replies

When I added the sound file to the Alarms folder (the non-system location), it just appeared in the drop down as the name of the file, there's no "other". Did you check the alarms available to see if what you added was in there?

Mine are in Storage/SDCard0/Media/Audio/Alarms and they all show up

Screenshot_2014-12-24-09-01-441_zps0a982

Edited by HipKat

I was finally able to get the phone/Lollipop to see the added sound files. I connected the phone via USB to my PC, then copied over all the ringtones, alarms, notifications to their respective folders (in the sdcard directory), overwriting the ones I already moved using ES File Explorer. I then disconnected and rebooted the phone, and now am given those new files as choices when setting sounds.  Also, I noticed when I connected the phone to my PC, it only showed me the sdcard folder, no way to see system files (for unrooted phone)