USCCworker

Subsidized option going away for retired plans 1/8

101 posts in this topic

So I'm surprised no one else has posted anything. I guess I'll be the bearer of bad news. Starting Jan 8th you can no longer receive subsidized pricing if you are not on a plan that's currently offered i.e. shared data or promo single line plans.

You can finance, pay retail or purchase retail used devices on older plans still. You can finance or choose subsidized on the current plans. The only workaround is they are granting 1 time upgrades per account on retired plans if the customer is thought to leave for not receiving the discounted phone.

There will also be $25 activation fees when you finance a new line or upgrade.

So I guess this is the point they're trying to get people to leave the legacy plans! I can't say I'm going to leave, because there's no carrier I'd want to switch to. However, this doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth. I may be willing to switch to a new plan anyway, because I like the idea of not having to fight for an upgrade before 24 months. Plus, we really don't use 5GB of data a month on each line anyway. I'm lucky to use 1GB, let alone 2. My son did use more than 5 once, and they tried to charge us $200 for 900mb of overage. Luckily, he got off of our plan anyway.

I usually don't use more than 2gb a month but that doesn't mean I want to switch to a more expensive plan with less data.

40 connection fee makes new shared plans as much as my current plan with less data. Everyone has just enough data in my current plan. I used all my upgrades before the 8th. so I'm good for at least a year after that will just have to see what's the best option.

None of the new plans seem to make any sense for our plan. Why would we change to a new plan so we pay more for less? Just doesn't make any sense. Might be hitting up craigslist for phones now. That, or this is the final push to switch. Only problem is that very few carriers work well in our area. Considering jumping on a friends vzw plan as an option because he still has an old plan there.

Shoot, the shared plans was a pretty good deal for us from an old belief plan. With the $10 connection fee & 4gb of data (for the two of us, which is more than enough) it saved us about $20 month, plus we have unlimited texting which we've never had before. 

Yep, added a line, got a  LG tablet and a G3 and my bill is $17 less a month also gained unlimited minutes and legal tethering.

A friend of mine was in a store yesterday was told this and was also told new plans were coming on the 8th too.
Any info on this?

Yep, added a line, got a LG tablet and a G3 and my bill is $17 less a month also gained unlimited minutes and legal tethering.

A friend of mine was in a store yesterday was told this and was also told new plans were coming on the 8th too.

Any info on this?

That $17.00 less include the price of devices or any of the other hidden stuff ALL companies don't make public. If you add a financed device how does that affect your plan cost?

I just don't see a company, USCellular included, coming out with new plans that make them less money. They are making more out of this in some way... We just haven't figured it out yet as it isn't that old...

Sorry, I know you work for USCellular, I hope you don't get the site end of the stick when this is out of the closet...

Finally last question, the "Free" g-pad, what is the monthly cost of that device being on your account? $10 or $15?

Time for me to medicate again.. Have a good Sunday all!

Yep, added a line, got a LG tablet and a G3 and my bill is $17 less a month also gained unlimited minutes and legal tethering.

Any info on this?

That $17.00 less include the price of devices or any of the other hidden stuff ALL companies don't make public. If you add a financed device how does that affect your plan cost?

I just don't see a company, USCellular included, coming out with new plans that make them less money. They are making more out of this in some way... We just haven't figured it out yet as it isn't that old...

Sorry, I know you work for USCellular, I hope you don't get the site end of the stick when this is out of the closet...

Finally last question, the "Free" g-pad, what is the monthly cost of that device being on your account? $10 or $15?

It is $10 a month on the shared plan, if you have an existing plan. essentially the connection charge is $10 a month. If you are on an older plan, it is as low as $15 a month, $10 connection charge, and $5 data (300 mb).  also the tablet is not longer free, it is $199 with $100 MIR (Mail In Rebate).

Sorry Guys, I know this sucks, look for the subsidy to disappear from the new plans within the next year or so (just speculation)

I have no idea what this means. We are on a $39.99 plan with no rewards & I pay 45 for data. They

let the other phone stay without data. 1 phone was just upgraded & their is now a 2 year contract.

The other line is off contract. Does this mean we will nevr again be able to get a new phone for the

special price & be on contract for 2 years ? ????

Shared plan is cheaper if you are out of contract, soon as you upgrade 10 goes to 40. US cellular will be making a fortune on overage charges. If you don't use much data the shared plans may work for you. I don't know why anyone would need a data plan for a tablet when you have a smartphone with 24/7. Until our usage drops below 10GB I can't see switching.

Any info on this?

I did finance the G3.  The Gpad was free and got a $100 card for adding a line. It does cost $10/month to add to plan though. Go and purchase a Gpad,it will cost you $250 new. That makes it a $250 device that was free and they gave me $100 to add it to my plan and i'm still $17 cheaper. 

I admit, i did lose 5GB on a dumbphone line that never used any data and never would (parents phone). That line was costing me $40/month on the belief essentials plus plan and now costs $10 for that line. They have had a LG Wine for 5 years and it's still like new.  I have a backup Wine 2 in case it stops working. 

Don't know where you are getting that I work for them? I don't and never have..lol

Edited by Ace3166

Shared plan is cheaper if you are out of contract, soon as you upgrade 10 goes to 40. US cellular will be making a fortune on overage charges. If you don't use much data the shared plans may work for you. I don't know why anyone would need a data plan for a tablet when you have a smartphone with 24/7. Until our usage drops below 10GB I can't see switching.

Why do i need a tablet?? Because I can. The $10 stays if you finance the new phone. If you choose to get a discounted phone, the extra $30/month is to make up the difference in retail price of phone. 

The difference now is all charges are out in the open, whereas with subsidized phones the old way they hid the recovery cost in the plan price.

I never have either,that is why I decided it was a good time to get into one. I was going to add a line anyhow and put my old Moto X on it .
Basically needed a extra device to stream music at my place up north. Can pickup 12 damn country stations but not 1 hard rock station on regular radio..smh. The aux cord plugged into stereo left me very limited on using my phone in one spot.

I never have either,that is why I decided it was a good time to get into one. I was going to add a line anyhow and put my old Moto X on it .

Basically needed a extra device to stream music at my place up north. Can pickup 12 damn country stations but not 1 hard rock station on regular radio..smh. The aux cord plugged into stereo left me very limited on using my phone in one spot.

+1 for hard rock (I usually listen to Heavy Metal too lol) in WI is a joke. No one has good music tastes. 

Any info on this?

I did finance the G3. The Gpad was free and got a $100 card for adding a line. It does cost $10/month to add to plan though. Go and purchase a Gpad,it will cost you $250 new. That makes it a $250 device that was free and they gave me $100 to add it to my plan and i'm still $17 cheaper.

I admit, i did lose 5GB on a dumbphone line that never used any data and never would (parents phone). That line was costing me $40/month on the belief essentials plus plan and now costs $10 for that line. They have had a LG Wine for 5 years and it's still like new. I have a backup Wine 2 in case it stops working.

Don't know where you are getting that I work for them? I don't and never have..lol

So let me get this straight the tablet cost you how much?

$10.00 a month... So if you keep the gpad in your account as many consumers are not that savvy to catch the rip off, say you keep it on your account or use it for 3 years which is 36 months, that so called free gpad just cost you more than if you went straight out and bought one. That is if you catch that your getting charged for one even after you stored it and or it broke or the fad never really caught on to you.

See what I am getting at... One expensive "free" tablet.

Regarding the legal tethering... Don't even go there. Seems the number of devices that USCellular cannot block tethering on is going down and now. The list of those that can tether now includes an actual android device, nexus. If anyone is looking for free legal tethering go for a nexus, (if you want an android based device), any apply iPhone device, or any windows phone device as USCellular forest so those users. Sure there are ways to root to get tethering without USCellular stopping you or even without root it can be done I have heard. That tethering is another way for the company to try and stuck the consumer dry!

Now it was mentioned that your monthly charge does by $17 a month. Was that with any device financing charges? If there were financing charges how much more is the bill? Let's just say from what I read financing could be what average $18.00 a month? I know different devices are higher than others. But let's now day that pan your paying $17 less per month has two financed devices... That would add $36 to the bill then...

To me all they did with the new shared plans is removed the subsidized device charge from the base plan then had a parade stating lower prices and now you can finance your device separately but at full price.... Yes with the subsidized pricing being cheaper than the full price of a device but the company was making that up difference with what your bill cost as it was a given that customers were wanting new devices

Might be a time to call customer service and see what they can do for us.

So if one never gets a new device unless they go elsewhere and get it say from another stores 15 day return, they will be grandfathered on their old plan and will never be on a contact again? That doesn't sound bad...

Although the term contract when dealing with services like this nothing more than an agreement to not disconnect before a set time period but we know there are loop holes in that. I really wish the word contract would not be used unless you are on a military contract for your country. Anything else is just an agreement of some sorts.

Edited by dBuster

You'd still have to pay $10 a month to have it on the account.

Bingo. So is it free or not? Or shall I rephrase that to be was it free or not.

Any word on whether one can get previous rounds of "shared data" plans?  I was interested in the $100 for 10GB plan with $10/month connection charges (we have 2 smart phones, 2 feature phones--all are "customer-owned").  Now that the 10GB plan is only $90/month, the discounted feature phone connection charges went up from $10/month to $20/month.

If I could get back to $10/month for all the phones, I'd jump on it. But they say that isn't an option right now. Maybe on Thursday...