USCCworker

Subsidized option going away for retired plans 1/8

I never have either,that is why I decided it was a good time to get into one. I was going to add a line anyhow and put my old Moto X on it .

Basically needed a extra device to stream music at my place up north. Can pickup 12 dern country stations but not 1 hard rock station on regular radio..smh. The aux cord plugged into stereo left me very limited on using my phone in one spot.

+1 for hard rock (I usually listen to Heavy Metal too lol) in WI is a joke. No one has good music tastes. 

WJJO out of Madison is the best one. They were voted #1 hard rock station in the country a few years ago. When I can wake up to Slayer at 8am on a Sunday,that's awesome!

dBuster, if you look at it as I am it is still free as I am still $17 a month cheaper on my bill now than previously. 

If i would have kept my belief plan and added tablet,it would have been even more.

Even if i was paying $10 more a month,no big deal, I can afford it. 

Edited by Ace3166

I never have either,that is why I decided it was a good time to get into one. I was going to add a line anyhow and put my old Moto X on it .

Basically needed a extra device to stream music at my place up north. Can pickup 12 dern country stations but not 1 hard rock station on regular radio..smh. The aux cord plugged into stereo left me very limited on using my phone in one spot.

+1 for hard rock (I usually listen to Heavy Metal too lol) in WI is a joke. No one has good music tastes.

WJJO out of Madison is the best one. They were voted #1 hard rock station in the country a few years ago. When I can wake up to Slayer at 8am on a Sunday,that's awesome!

dBuster, if you look at it as I am it is still free as I am still $17 a month cheaper on my bill now than previously.

If i would have kept my belief plan and added tablet,it would have been even more.

Even if i was paying $10 more a month,no big deal, I can afford it.

Okay maybe for you money is no concern. But to come out and say the device is free is twisting it a little.

Someone else said earlier, the device is free but the date is not and you pay a date monthly charge for that device. The $10.00 data connection charge.

It is such a shame ALL companies hide stuff like that. Or let me say they do not share that with the same verbiage or context that it is free but a monthly charge is required on a device that may or may not be actually using cellular data. For every month that you own that gpad you are paying for it.

Wonder if there is some fine print that you must keep it active on your account for X amount of months or can you call right back in and remove it? Or is that where they hook line and sinker you with the price. You must keep it active posting the data connection charge monthly or pay this much in an early term fee.

Sorry the mind is trying to see how the company that will not lose money on anything how they have it played out.

Nothing in life is free... There is always a catch.

I just dislike how companies try to spin things that they have made things better for the consumer but have actually just hidden costs in other ways to make it appear cheaper. Ie the free gpad that in the end you pay for it on your account monthly bill. Whereas my nexus 7 does the same thing only cost me $157 and with an iPhone I can tether freely without having a monthly charge for the tablet...

I apologize to you Ace3166. This is by no means directed towards you personally. Please accept my apologies if it is being taken in any other way.

Side note, , if the $ is no concern to you can you spot me a new moto x 2nd gen? I am not quite eligible yet but so not want to be forced onto a new plan. In three or four months when I am.

On a different note I told the wife about this forcing you on to a new plan and the response from her, we will go back to a land line only and cancel cell service all together. $25.00 for the land line is way cheaper. Plus too many fools texting and driving or talking and driving and not paying attention to life or anything else happening around them.

Time to get some sleep...

You can finance they g pad and remove it from your plan after the first month and continue to pay monthly installments according to fine print. I thought the goal of cell companies was to keep as many customers as possible under contract. The incentive is gone because you get a better price for being out of contract.

Yep, added a line, got a LG tablet and a G3 and my bill is $17 less a month also gained unlimited minutes and legal tethering.

A friend of mine was in a store yesterday was told this and was also told new plans were coming on the 8th too.

Any info on this?

That $17.00 less include the price of devices or any of the other hidden stuff ALL companies don't make public. If you add a financed device how does that affect your plan cost?

I just don't see a company, USCellular included, coming out with new plans that make them less money. They are making more out of this in some way... We just haven't figured it out yet as it isn't that old...

Sorry, I know you work for USCellular, I hope you don't get the site end of the stick when this is out of the closet...

Finally last question, the "Free" g-pad, what is the monthly cost of that device being on your account? $10 or $15?

Time for me to medicate again.. Have a good Sunday all!

You kids have it so easy in this day and age. When I was your age we didn't have no g-pad.  All we had was a g-spot -- and we were dern glad to have it!

EDIT: ?dern? Nope, we were d.a.m.n. glad to have it.

Edited by snodrog742

Remember when US Cellular's motto was

"Believe in something better" ?

Wonder why they dropped it a couple of years ago????

Yeah let that sink in for a bit.... 

So if my car dealer was giving away a free car but had to purchased the gas from them for the life of the car, does that mean the car itself wasn't free?

Maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by mweba

The car dealer doesn't require you to fill your tank every month. I can just let it sit in the yard. I can't just use a G pad on WiFi I have to a data plan.

For me I have WiFi 90% of where I am on a normal basis (school/work/home) so I think I may go the route of a Nexus 7 or something similar.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Remember when US Cellular's motto was

"Believe in something better" ?

Wonder why they dropped it a couple of years ago?

Yeah let that sink in for a bit...

That motto went along with the belief plans, so pretty logical they would drop it when they dropped the belief plans.

US cellular rewards customers for being out of contract. I always thought cell companies wanted as many customers as possible under contract.

Thats exactly why I like them so much - they dont push or make it impossible to have their service without a contract.

It's so nice, you keep your plan as long as you want, you dont have to pick a new one - ever.

Unless they decide to upgrade computer system. There were some people that were booted of their very old plans when they did that in 2013.

Unless they decide to upgrade computer system. There were some people that were booted of their very old plans when they did that in 2013.

Is this foresight into another disastrous Tops update? One which will not allow any subsidized devices and only shared junk plans?

Does anyone know of a website that lists and ranks carriers based on service location?

Might be time to start window shipping before the mess hits again...

Bringing this from another thread..

I'd like to clarify for ya here dBuster. Subsidized pricing on phones is not going away for newer plans. Older plans are having the subsidy option revoked, but subsidies are not going away altogether. So that's kind of a plus?

Idk, I upgraded to shared data, financed 3 phones and have 1 dumb phone off contract, 10gb shared by the 3 smartphones, and am paying less total per month than I was with 3 dumb phones and 1 smartphone with 5gb on a belief plan. It's only like a dollar less, but turned 2 dumb phones into smartphones and upgraded my phone also. All for almost exactly the same monthly cost.

I like the idea of financing. It's much more transparent than these "built in" subsidies, where if you want a nicer phone it's quite obvious that it's gonna cost you more. As opposed to cheap subsidized phones costing the same amount as expensive ones per month that all customers paid equally into. Because that definitely went down.

Sent from my XT1093

I am sorry but from everything I read there is no subsidized phone when you go to the shared plans. You either pay for it out right or have it, full price, financed.

If they, USCellular, was not doing away with subsidized devices why force customers off of plans they want to keep? If the option, and no device financing or full price option, true subsidized option is still going to be there then we should if we want to remain on our current plan to stay in that plan.

Maybe someone could do a chart with say old belief plan on one side and new shared plan on the other, with the same data (is 5gb two phones to 10gb shared) showing two smart phones. Then in that chart showing say the belief 1500 for $139.95 monthly showing upon renewal what say a moto x 2nd gen and GS5 subsidized price for new two year agreement showing the one time subsidized price for the devices then the monthly price of the plan which would be 139.95. Then in the other side if said chat the same two devices their options, either full price financed/subsidized?, then the monthly price for the same equivalent plan. Also then at the bottom of that chart show how the discounts such as employee partner discounts are applied and effect the pricing.

I guess it might take someone to show me like that on a chart to convince me as once again I do not see any company taking in less money for something new. The spin the new plans to sound great but in the end they make more money. Like I have said greed, they will not lose money especially with how they don't support their network well enough.

Wait did I just think of what it is, the new shared plans don't have this loyalty points stuff do they? The belief points for which we have only used once to waive the activation fee once. To us those points were useless....

Customers will still be able to get subsidized pricing on Shared Connect Plans. This is in every communication sent out by USCC for the new promo starting 1/8. Customers on Legacy, Belief Plans, and Belief Evolved plans will have to migrate to the Shared Connect Plan for subsidized pricing, or they can stay on their current plan and pay full retail or do a new retail installment. 

I don't know what you are reading,but you can get a subsidized phone on the shared plan and that will continue for now. The monthly connection fee goes from $10 to $40 when purchasing subsidized. 

Yes shared plans still have reward points, I'm getting 350 more points per month on the shared plan than i was on belief plan.

I don't know what you are reading,but you can get a subsidized phone on the shared plan and that will continue for now. The monthly connection fee goes from $10 to $40 when purchasing subsidized. 

Yes shared plans still have reward points, I'm getting 350 more points per month on the shared plan than i was on belief plan.

Wut he said.

For me, and I'm at the extreme end, the shared data plan has been a godsend. I have 8 lines sharing 10gb (only 2 of us heavy users) and only 3 of them are on contract.  That means I pay $90 for the data, $120 for the 3 on contract and another $50 for the 5 lines that are COE.  Thats $260+ on 8 lines which works out to an average of $32.50+ a line average.

We also get 500 points for the shared data plus 150 points for each line, which is more than I got with my old family plan.

One thing that I just couldn't get a coworker to understand is that even if you get a "free" phone it still costs you $30x24 months or $720.

I'm happy and as far as I'm concerned I'll continue to buy my equipment on the secondary market and stay off contract. I paid $400 off CL for an almost new open box Note 4.  Only downside is that I have to pay up front.  One of the upsides is that if I decide to get the newest/greatest thing I don't have to wait 2 years for it.

Edited by swear0730

Maybe the terminology in the plans is what is tripping me up. Shared data is actually called shared connect plans...

I still would like to see a chart with side by side comparisons. Swear0730 gave a good example for what he has now but how would that have equated out with the old plan and then again only for two devices. The new plan from the looks of it might benefit those with many devices on their account. At least from how I am seeing it.

;)

I created an XLS file to do the comparison. You could too.  I could post it for you but then I'd have to kill you.

For me it was the Family Plan though.  Different legacy plans would work out differently.  In my life I had 7 lines to deal with.  Until I could get them all on one account there wasn't any savings going to shared connect.  Once I pulled the trigger the rep told me about the COE discount and then it made a BIG difference.  

Yeah, the more lines you have the more you would save on the shared plans. 
If you only have 2 lines:

Belief plan essentials plus plan 1500 minutes/5GB each line=$140/month

If you use COE(out of contract) or buy used phones, you would save $30 month.
$90/10GB+$10 each connect fee=$110.  

If you would get 2 subsidized phones on shared connect, $90/10GB+ plus $40 each line connection fee=$180/month

Say you financed 2 Moto X2 phones: $90/10GB+$10each line connection fee+ 2 phones @$24/mo.=$158/month.

With the shared plan,you would gain unlimited minutes and "legal" tethering, whether you want/need them or not,

I wanted to compare head to head with same features. Add tethering to 2 lines on belief plan and your bill goes up to $190($25 per line)

So, in reality the shared plans would be cheaper when you include tethering and you get unlimited minutes.

If you exceed data on belief plan cost is $.25/MB(up to $200 max). On shared data it is $15/GB.

Taxes and fees not included on either.

Oh and say you went over on data on belief plan,cost is $.25/MB up to $200 max.
On shared plan it is $15/GB. 

Edited by Ace3166

I'd like to clarify for ya here dBuster. Subsidized pricing on phones is not going away for newer plans. Older plans are having the subsidy option revoked, but subsidies are not going away altogether. So that's kind of a plus?

Idk, I upgraded to shared data, financed 3 phones and have 1 dumb phone off contract, 10gb shared by the 3 smartphones, and am paying less total per month than I was with 3 dumb phones and 1 smartphone with 5gb on a belief plan. It's only like a dollar less, but turned 2 dumb phones into smartphones and upgraded my phone also. All for almost exactly the same monthly cost.

I like the idea of financing. It's much more transparent than these "built in" subsidies, where if you want a nicer phone it's quite obvious that it's gonna cost you more. As opposed to cheap subsidized phones costing the same amount as expensive ones per month that all customers paid equally into. Because that definitely went down.

Sent from my XT1093

I am sorry but from everything I read there is no subsidized phone when you go to the shared plans. You either pay for it out right or have it, full price, financed.

If they, USCellular, was not doing away with subsidized devices why force customers off of plans they want to keep? If the option, and no device financing or full price option, true subsidized option is still going to be there then we should if we want to remain on our current plan to stay in that plan.

Maybe someone could do a chart with say old belief plan on one side and new shared plan on the other, with the same data (is 5gb two phones to 10gb shared) showing two smart phones. Then in that chart showing say the belief 1500 for $139.95 monthly showing upon renewal what say a moto x 2nd gen and GS5 subsidized price for new two year agreement showing the one time subsidized price for the devices then the monthly price of the plan which would be 139.95. Then in the other side if said chat the same two devices their options, either full price financed/subsidized?, then the monthly price for the same equivalent plan. Also then at the bottom of that chart show how the discounts such as employee partner discounts are applied and effect the pricing.

I guess it might take someone to show me like that on a chart to convince me as once again I do not see any company taking in less money for something new. The spin the new plans to sound great but in the end they make more money. Like I have said greed, they will not lose money especially with how they don't support their network well enough.

Wait did I just think of what it is, the new shared plans don't have this loyalty points stuff do they? The belief points for which we have only used once to waive the activation fee once. To us those points were useless....

Your graph is attached, your welcome!

example1.doc

Edited by Md0600

Sent from my XT1093

Your graph is attached, your welcome!

Thank you, that is what I was looking for. From the looks of it the old belief plan is still cheaper from what I am seeing.

Now if there are no devices to factor in then the new may be cheaper...

Yeah, the more lines you have the more you would save on the shared plans. 

If you only have 2 lines:

Belief plan essentials plus plan 1500 minutes/5GB each line=$140/month

If you use COE(out of contract) or buy used phones, you would save $30 month.

$90/10GB+$10 each connect fee=$110.  

If you would get 2 subsidized phones on shared connect, $90/10GB+ plus $40 each line connection fee=$180/month

I think we'll be switching to this!