ahent

Roaming LTE

So I haven't heard anything lately. I was curious if anyone here had heard anything. The last I heard was from a sales rep in June or July and they said 4th quarter 2014. I assume they missed that goal.

Thanks. It seemed like the topic had fallen off the globe so I thought I would ask since I am traveling for spring break.

I have no idea what I am doing :-P

Probably won't matter too much since we will still be held to 200mb. This really messed me up in Hawaii last year when I got lost and needed google maps but didn't have any data left.

I have no idea what I am doing :)

That's the part that really gets at me.

200mb... Really?

Its been that way for how many years?

Its 2015 - its been capped at 200mb since 2006, its pathetic.

If that hasn't changed by the time I leave I'll just put a dummy phone on my account and use my N6 or get one of my old phones unlocked then use it on another carrier while I'm there.

Its more than worth $90 to get 3GB should I end up needing it - over suddenly getting hard capped to 1x speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Yeah, the last I heard they said they weren't going to revisit it anytime soon. It is the one thing pushing my wife and I towards Verizon. We don't want to deal with them, but we are starting to travel a lot and loss of 4g and then being dumped to 1x is really inconvenient when for about the same price we can have it all at the big red V.

I have no idea what I am doing :)

The huge thing stopping me from even considering another carrier is data limit.

No carrier offers unlimited right now, and those small PP services that do are capped at 2GB of your "unlimited" then its down to sub-1x speed.

So if they MATCH my unlimited deal, I'd consider it, but since I know they won't, its not worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6

We switched to verizon recently. After years of terrible slow roaming when we leave the state, a recent trip to Florida with high speed data the whole time was GREAT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have unlimited, we are on an old belief plan with 5gb. So the next time I need a phone (I got the S5 in april) it will be worth considering since I will be pushed to a new plan by USCC anyways.

I don't have unlimited, we are on an old belief plan with 5gb. So the next time I need a phone (I got the S5 in april) it will be worth considering since I will be pushed to a new plan by USCC anyways.

You don't have to change your plan, but no more discounted phones. Finance or pay full price only. 

We switched to verizon recently. After years of terrible slow roaming when we leave the state, a recent trip to Florida with high speed data the whole time was GREAT.

Thats where Im going on vaca - and it would be MORE than nice to NOT have that over my head while I'm there.

I dont plan on providing internet for a server or anything stupid, but if i wanna google a pic, I should be able to without it timing out because my 200MB cap was hit before I got off the plane.

That's what I'd kill for is high speed internet wherever I go. But as long as I'm on USCC that's never gonna happen. One word to describe USCC would be "roaming".

Thats where Im going on vaca - and it would be MORE than nice to NOT have that over my head while I'm there.

I dont plan on providing internet for a server or anything stupid, but if i wanna google a pic, I should be able to without it timing out because my 200MB cap was hit before I got off the plane.

Good luck. 

I don't want to finance, and while I realize that eventually the European style where you pay for the phone and get cheap service anywhere you like will eventually take over, I think I will stick with subsidized plans and get my 700 dollar phone for 100-200 dollars. I know I am paying for it in the plan and I can afford to buy a phone outright, but I have been going the subsidized route since 1994 with my NEC Talktime 800 phone from uscc.

I've had success calling before a trip and told them the reason for the trip (taking students on a trip) and they suspended the data cap for the week. 

No carrier offers unlimited right now, and those small PP services that do are capped at 2GB of your "unlimited" then its down to sub-1x speed.

So if they MATCH my unlimited deal, I'd consider it, but since I know they won't, its not worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6

T-Mobile and Sprint still offer unlimited with no throttle but their coverage is limited. T-Mobile has promised to build out their LTE network to cover much more area than what they do now for this year (toe to toe with verizon they say).

That's a pretty ballsy statement.

Their speeds won't be half of what VZW has over that same area tho.

Tmo has notoriously been terrible about not only coverage, but speeds in anything but major metro areas makes our 3G look like google fiber.

That's been my experience with it - a coworker of mine has tmo and once she gets to work it may as well be off because signal isn't going to happen - let alone any hope for data.

BUT - I'm open minded.

If they pull it off - sweet.

I'd like to see anything here, especially if uscc got something better for LTE around me. Idk what the deal is but in newton its single digits - once I cross into DM its double digits each way all day.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Sent from my Nexus 6

T-Mobile and Sprint still offer unlimited with no throttle but their coverage is limited. T-Mobile has promised to build out their LTE network to cover much more area than what they do now for this year (toe to toe with verizon they say).

No way, no how. Maybe a decade after VoLTE becomes not only real but mainstream.

TMO's LTE is sub par to USCC where I work now, in a city. I live one mile from downtown and their service is poor at my house.

Sent from my XT1093

Many find it hard to believe but that is their CEO's claim. I support his endeavors and hope they achieve it.

It does seem like it would be pretty difficult to do this fast.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/t-mobiles-legere-vows-go-toe-toe-verizons-network-overtake-sprint-2015/2014-12-30

I also think I.Wireless may be an acquisition target for them based on the the thumb twiddling they have been doing with LTE.

If they bought Union wireless, Viaero and I.Wireless or made reciprocal full roaming agreements with them it would go a long way towards meeting their targets.

Edited by lynyrd65

US Cellular's map now shows LTE in Kansas City when you zoom in. Does anyone know if that's phantom coverage or if it's real?