celticchrys

How to use unlock code obtained from USCC CS?

who needs an sd card slot? i mean really. don't hoard every bit of data for a year and you'll be okay. i think they invented HDD's for storing data? i could be wrong though :P

I do! I always run out of internal space. I need some place to put my flac files, books, etc. I also frequently drive through stretches of spotty or no signal and visit family in an area where I get only voice. Cloud storage and audio services are totally useless then. To each their own.

who needs an sd card slot? i mean really. don't hoard every bit of data for a year and you'll be okay. i think they invented HDD's for storing data? i could be wrong though :P

I do! I always run out of internal space. I need some place to put my flac files, books, etc. I also frequently drive through stretches of spotty or no signal and visit family in an area where I get only voice. Cloud storage and audio services are totally useless then. To each their own.

Sandisk makes a wireless USB thumb drive with Wi-Fi so you can carry a cloud in your pocket.... Or leave it in the car charged and ready for you.

There are plenty of options for no usb slot now a days....

I have a similar flash drive (different brand) with the micro usb plug on one end, and the regular usb on the other. Quite handy for giving someone else files, etc. I still like the convenience of being able to just play my music collection, in high quality, when there is no data connection, without messing with an extra accessory (other than my headphones).

So, in the continuing saga, the people at the local USCC store also have no idea what the six-digit code from customer service is. When they hook up my Note 2 to their software, it looks like it is able to be unlocked, but the system will not unlock it, because it is active on my account. My old Motorola Electrify (the previous phone on the account), the system now refuses to add back to the account. If I cancel the account, then they will no longer unlock the Note 2, because I will not be an active customer. So, the only option they are giving me is to buy a newer US Cellular phone, activate it, removing the Note 2, and then they can unlock the Note 2. So, despite FCC rules, they are holding my old phone hostage unless I buy a new phone. This really doesn't make me want to buy a new contract with them. So kind, after around 9 years as a subscriber.

Perhaps I just need to wait one more day, and try again. Hah.

They should have told you that - you cant unlock it if it's activated on your account - because reactivating it on uscc will lock it again.

IDK how or why they wouldnt have told you that, but yeah, you cant do that - it can not be unlocked if it's active.

They should have told you that - you cant unlock it if it's activated on your account - because reactivating it on uscc will lock it again.

IDK how or why they wouldnt have told you that, but yeah, you cant do that - it can not be unlocked if it's active.

Thank you. This essentially means I can't ever unlock it unless I acquire another "current" US Cellular phone. They told me if I just close my account (so it's not active), then they will not unlock it, because I will not be a customer. They should make this clear to people. 

They should.

They really should have made that clear to you when you first started asking about it. You can only unlock it if it's like a spare phone.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Hasn't it been in some of their literature about this that once a device is unlocked it is unable to be activated/registered again on uscc. 

Hadn't seen/read anything about requiring that you still have an active account.

Sounds like another "gotchya".

Have to have a active account, cannot unlock a phone if it's currently active, once you unlock it you can't use it again on uscc, and no guarantee that any other service provider will allow it to be activated either...... sure way to make a perfectly good phone totally useless IMHO.

Edited by electro_handyman

You CAN activate it on uscc again, but it will then be carrier locked to uscc.

You'd have to get it unlocked again after you were done using it.

Silly, yes, but thats just how it works.

Do the USB storage thing then. I still don't see how you could possibly run out of storage. 1. You don't need FLAC files, that's overkill and you won't notice the difference of standard file types at "mid" quality. And sure you may be in some areas for short periods of time with no data or wifi. But that's not every minute, so that gives you plenty of time for cloud storage. And family, they prolly have wifi ;) If not, well, time to move into 2015! I think you're doing what I did back in the day. Making excuses of every kind to justify the situation to yourself. Humans adapt to new things. Never forget that. ;)

So, in the continuing saga, the people at the local USCC store also have no idea what the six-digit code from customer service is. When they hook up my Note 2 to their software, it looks like it is able to be unlocked, but the system will not unlock it, because it is active on my account. My old Motorola Electrify (the previous phone on the account), the system now refuses to add back to the account. If I cancel the account, then they will no longer unlock the Note 2, because I will not be an active customer. So, the only option they are giving me is to buy a newer US Cellular phone, activate it, removing the Note 2, and then they can unlock the Note 2. So, despite FCC rules, they are holding my old phone hostage unless I buy a new phone. This really doesn't make me want to buy a new contract with them. So kind, after around 9 years as a subscriber.

Perhaps I just need to wait one more day, and try again. Hah.

I'll say it again. The 6 digit code is the SPC. SPC = Service Programming Code. This is the so called "lock" put on devices. It's a gimmick really. Add the Moto E1 back to the account. They may claim it refuses to be added but that's a lie just to scam you into buying another phone. They play that card well.

I am asked on a daily basis to unlock a phone at my store. The diagnostic tool is supposed to work for most androids but doesn't give us the option to select the "unlock" button. However, most the phones wouldn't work fully on other carriers from my understanding.

That's correct - even after being unlocked, it will MOST LIKELY work on 1-2 bands on that carrier (if GSM) - so service will be spotty, very limited, if it exists at all.

It's 100% not worth it - it's a total waste of time - and if you WANT to do this, my honest recommendation is to just stop being difficult, get a GSM unlocked phone - since the one you have from uscc isn't going to work anyway.

I am asked on a daily basis to unlock a phone at my store. The diagnostic tool is supposed to work for most androids but doesn't give us the option to select the "unlock" button. However, most the phones wouldn't work fully on other carriers from my understanding.

It will work on ANY standard CDMA carrier in the US and even outside the US if they are using standard US bands. Now this isn't including VZW or SPR in terms of not allowing other phones on their network. If they did allow any phone, then USCC phones would obviously work fine.

That's correct - even after being unlocked, it will MOST LIKELY work on 1-2 bands on that carrier (if GSM) - so service will be spotty, very limited, if it exists at all.

It's 100% not worth it - it's a total waste of time - and if you WANT to do this, my honest recommendation is to just stop being difficult, get a GSM unlocked phone - since the one you have from uscc isn't going to work anyway.

1 band GSM. So not worth it by any means. You'd be better off buying a $30 GSM Android phone from Freddie's or Walmart.

Well, since they promise on their website that this phone can be unlocked, I don't think it's too difficult to expect it. I will probably buy a gsm unlocked phone. I will not be buying another from US Cellular.

I'll say it again. The 6 digit code is the SPC. SPC = Service Programming Code. This is the so called "lock" put on devices. It's a gimmick really. Add the Moto E1 back to the account. They may claim it refuses to be added but that's a lie just to scam you into buying another phone. They play that card well.

Thank you. This information has led to some interesting reading.

BTW - when I said "stop being difficult" - what I meant was - don't keep beating the dead horse, the game they play with locking/unlocking what the phone can and can't do - it sucks and is far more confusing than it needs to be.

Its just a hassle free way to just get a GSM phone and KNOW it will work no matter where you go.

Know what I mean?

Sent from my Nexus 6

Well, since they promise on their website that this phone can be unlocked, I don't think it's too difficult to expect it. I will probably buy a gsm unlocked phone. I will not be buying another from US Cellular.

The phone can be unlocked. If it's locked at all. As I've said many times about my phones, hey haven't been locked. Default code of 000000, which is "locked" but being default might as well not be considered locked. Hence the reason I spew out the quotations of "locked/unlocked".

I just think you guys are confusing different network types. USCC is CDMA. So unlocking from USCC CDMA is exactly what you think you'll get. CDMA.

Now if you have a GSM phone. You'll get exactly what you think you'll get. GSM.

If it's a world phone or CDMA/GSM phone and you unlock it. You'll get exactly what you think you'll get. CDMA & GSM.

Where you're extra confused is... Unlocking the network types doesn't mean you can bring it to any carrier you wish. Why? Because SOME carriers have device restrictions. Why? Money and support reasons mostly.

To ramble on more. It would be this exact same way if you bought a phone from SPR or VZW and wanted/did unlock the phone. Same things apply to every carrier.

Does this all make sense?

Thank you. This information has led to some interesting reading.

You use the code in the programming menu on the phone (if the phone has it anymore, varies by device and update). Otherwise is used via programming software with the phone in it's special programming mode. DM Mode I believe it is.

Now no more beating the dead horse.

Sears.com has a quad band smart watch for 90 bucks my wife wants to buy it for my birthday it is gsm fully unlocked and uscc is cdma if you take a look at the specs of the watch of the bands would it work if I use my uscc Sim card? Also uscc has a global simcard I believe it's definitely deference from the one I have mine has uscc 4gltd stamp on it the other not sure if I got one of those Sim cards would I be able to use gsm bands so I could use the watch? I was just told I could use it on uscc with there Sim card but that's from a guy that's been there for month. Please take a look and let me know thank you

Have to have a active account, cannot unlock a phone if it's currently active, once you unlock it you can't use it again on uscc, and no guarantee that any other service provider will allow it to be activated either...... sure way to make a perfectly good phone totally useless IMHO.

That's funny.

In my experience, USCC's diagnostic tool does not check to see whether a phone is clean or not before unlocking it, I brought in a Mega that was active to be unlocked and they had no issues using their mceBox to do it.

I am not encouraging or condoning the use of bad ESN phones, just wanted to share my experience.

Hmm... I suppose they just tell you it has to be (or maybe over the phone they check it) in store they never checked at all.

Sent from my Nexus 6