Sign in to follow this  
thewretched2008

Nexus 6 SIM card

Hello everyone,

I received my nexus 6 a week ago and never did anything with a SIM card because I got it directly from USC and never had any discussion with the activation phone call about the SIM card.  I recently have been noticing my reception is a little lower than it was on my S5 and i'm wondering if I missed something or if the nexus 6 is just a little lower in reception strength than my S5.  Any help would be appreciated.  I always thought that without a SIM card I couldn't do any calls/texts/etc. so maybe I'm just a little confused and need that ironed out.  Thanks.

Signal comparison can only be done in real world testing. Not by bars or DBM.

SIM cards have always been for GSM phones or 4G LTE (which is GSM). Not CDMA. So technically speaking it can function without a SIM. And I'm not sure what the Nexus requirements are on SIM cards and activation, since it's a completely different breed of a phone.

Edited by na7q

I concur

On my Nexus 6 the signal always does have a tendency to seem low but it is just as strong as it has always been.

If you have more missed calls or calls won't go through or text messages never get sent then yes I would say that would be a problem, but if the bars seem different and it read signal differently that doesn't mean anything for real world use

Its just a different way that the system displays the strength and quality of the signal. It doesn't mean that the signal is worse or that the phone gets worse reception because for the most part a Motorola phone would be next to impossible to beat when it comes to hardware quality and antenna quality.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I concur

On my Nexus 6 the signal always does have a tendency to seem low but it is just as strong as it has always been.

If you have more missed calls or calls won't go through or text messages never get sent then yes I would say that would be a problem, but if the bars seem different and it read signal differently that doesn't mean anything for real world use

Its just a different way that the system displays the strength and quality of the signal. It doesn't mean that the signal is worse or that the phone gets worse reception because for the most part a Motorola phone would be next to impossible to beat when it comes to hardware quality and antenna quality.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Thankfully I don't have that problem but I just noticed when I look at the battery graphs, signal strength is almost always yellow/orange/red.  I'm also mostly in the basement of the house.  I never looked at that on my S5 because I consistently had at least 4 bars of signal in the basement and 5 when I came upstairs.  My S5 battery life was about par to what I'm getting on the N6.  When I've gone out I've had 5 bars LTE.  I've just wondered if I was missing something with the SIM card to help the phone get a better signal as my battery life definitely reflects the weaker signal.  I remember first getting my S5 and having to put a card into the phone for it to work and didn't have to do that with my Nexus.  I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something lol.

There is nothing you can do to improve signal except change your location or wait for USCC to upgrade towers. The sim card is not modifiable.

Also, bars don't mean much. If you want to compare signal strength look at dBm in About Phone - Status - Signal Strength. These are numbers you can actually compare between devices, bars are just categories of dBm values and vary from device to device. Remember these values are negative.

If you didn't put a sim in the phone, someone must have. LTE won't work without a sim.

Sent from my XT1093

Edited by BoгИX

Yeah my LTE works just fine and I did not physically put anything into the phone after I opened it up.  The US Cellular rep on the phone was super confused when he was helping me activate the phone lol.