Fallstar

US Cellular Lowers Shared Plan Prices

I heard an ad on the radio yesterday about the 8 gb shared plan for 120, but haven't figured out if it would be cheaper for my wife and I to move to it from the belief plan.

I heard an ad on the radio yesterday about the 8 gb shared plan for 120, but haven't figured out if it would be cheaper for my wife and I to move to it from the belief plan.

I am sorry but there is not a new plan that is cheaper. My opinion, if you stack it all up. Companies are only out to rape their customers for what ever they can get. Sure they may spin a new play on words and how they present it but it will not be cheaper.

Wait maybe if you have a flip phone basic service then the shared data might be cheaper...

The wife and I were on a great plan at $80 a month for the two of us then she wanted a smart phone, I was already on one, the rep spun the new deal and in the end just for her adding a smart phone and data or bill went up to $145... New plan was supposedly better! Tell me how. If the old plan is working for you stay on it!

My two cents...

Can someone explain again please what "RIC" is short for? What does the belief plan have a Ric charge? My belief plan is 140 and no Ric charges....

If the wife and I upgrade phones the subsidized prices are like a penny for what the wife is looking at and $99 for me...

Are the BYOP plans for existing customers as well?

Are the BYOP plans for existing customers as well?

I just call it BYOP for "Bring Your Own Phone" or "Buy Your Own Phone" since you are not financing it through US Cellular (Retail Installment Contract - RIC).

Bring You Own Phone on the Belief Plan means you just keep using the same phone you already have, buy a used phone, or pay full price for one outright.

The lady at my store told me I could switch to a new shared plan when our contract was up and not buy a phone (i.e. keep using our old phones). But she doesn't understand why I didn't want to finance (RIC) my phones "since it's such a great deal". Having my bill go from $130 (after taxes) to over $200 (after taxes) for approximately the same level of service doesn't seem like a great deal to me.

Can someone explain again please what "RIC" is short for? What does the belief plan have a Ric charge? My belief plan is 140 and no Ric charges....

If the wife and I upgrade phones the subsidized prices are like a penny for what the wife is looking at and $99 for me...

They did away with that plan. You don't get subsidized phones anymore on the old Belief plans. Unless something changed in the past month and they rescinded it...

What the old thread "Subsidized option going away for retired plans 1/8" (http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/7919-subsidized-option-going-away-for-retired-plans-18/) said was that you could say on the plan, but would have to either use the Retail Installment Contract (RIC) to purchase your phones, or get your own used phones. This was confirmed by my store back in Mid-January. 

Maybe add $25 aline/month for tethering on old plans on spread sheet. Tethering included in new plan as well as minutes are unlimited vs.1500.

Maybe add $25 aline/month for tethering on old plans on spread sheet. Tethering included in new plan as well as minutes are unlimited vs.1500.

If you want to pay that... Just get a windows phone, iPhone, or nexus 6 and they don't have the tether block so you can tether away...

Plus if there is a will there is a way rooted or not....

Yeah, but we don't tether, and we use like 50 minutes a month because all of our calls fall under "free mobile-to-mobile" or "After 7pm nights & weekends".

Right now for us, tethering is unnecessary. We don't travel much, and when we do, it's usually to an area that would be roaming anyway (Raleigh/Charlotte) with a 250mb limit. So we just pick hotels with free wifi. Or we are at a friend's or family's place where I set up the wifi for them. I don't need to stream movies for the kids, because I keep them all on a 32gb SD card.

Once our Belief Plan contract is up in October, we will probably move to the Shared Data (and just keep using our own phones). However, when they repriced the 10GB plan back up to $100, it made it less of a deal (only $10/mo difference from what I am paying now). I'm also looking at pre-paid MVNO's, as well as offerings from Big Red (cold shiver).

I'm fine with phones not being subsidized. However, I expect a little more discount on my bill than $10 a month (from my current plan that included phones). I look at phones on the USCC network like I do cars: Buy used. Buy cheap. Keep them until they die. Never finance (if you don't have to... I probably would have to finance a car unless it was $500).

Not knocking that great spreadsheet but I took what I saw in an ad today in the paper. It said 10 GB for two lines for $100 but the Ric was required.

Okay so I do the math, the new plan in my opinion is only a savings if you go with older phones. The s5 in the add was $33 per month times 20 months which is $660. Times two lines is $1320. Now take the $100 power month times 24 months, two year contract, and that is $2400. Add both up and I get $3720..._

Using my old belief, and my last chance subsidized option the total is $3760.00 but when you factor in the partner discount now versus the new plan I am breaking even or a little cheaper.

Now if we went well older say moto x 2nd gen then it would be about $300 cheaper on the new plan. So if you want the latest and greatest device your in my opinion ripped off with the new pricing...

My two cents but everything new isn't always better especially when it comes to goods and services like cell service.

Now buying used devices, that may be the only way to survive with the new plans...

We will keep our belief and use that last ditch option to subsidize one more time then we will be looking at our options.

Edited by dBuster

I was told by two different stores that in order to move to a shared data plan i would need to sign a new 24mo agreement even if i byop. That also includes an early termination fee of 350... what a load of bull. Never had to sign an agreement unless i was subsidizing my phones.

Edited by Coolasice

...how can you have an ETF if you don't have some kind of collateral - I'd like to know why that exists if there's no lost costs to the carrier in a BYOD deal?

I was told by two different stores that in order to move to a shared data plan i would need to sign a new 24mo agreement even if i byop. That also includes an early termination fee of 350... what a load of bull. Never had to sign an agreement unless i was subsidizing my phones.

I was told the same when I inquired about it. I thought it was odd, but didn't really think about it since I was there for a different reason.

Now I feel like Lando Calrissian:

post-6028-0-48471500-1425731652.jpg

stupid plan pricing.... if I byop and check pricing for 3 lines...     6gb plan cost =60+20+20+20 for a total of 120/mo...    8gb Plan cost = 80+10+10+10 for a tota of 120/mo...  hmmm  why is the price the same?   why even bother with the 6gb plan in the first place?

isn't the 8GB plan's $10 device connection fee only $10 if you finance a phone? I think it goes up to $40 if you don't finance a phone.