Fallstar

Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Coming To US Cellular

At Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, Samsung announced two versions of the Galaxy S6, one will be the Edge. They also announced that both versions will be available on the big four carriers, as well as US Cellular, in April.

Galaxy S6 > http://bgr.com/2015/03/01/samsung-galaxy-s6-review-pt-1-hands-on/

Galaxy S6 Edge > http://bgr.com/2015/03/01/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-review-pt-1-hands-on/

This is also on the Samsung Facebook page as well as on the USCellular Facebook page...

No removeable battery, no SD card slot, can we say apple clone??? Probably has some super bloated version of touchwiz also.... Yuck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This is also on the Samsung Facebook page as well as on the USCellular Facebook page...

No removeable battery, no SD card slot, can we say apple clone??? Probably has some super bloated version of touchwiz also.... Yuck

lol. Do you not remember Samsungs agreement with Google to tone down Touchwiz? I actually kind of like it on the Note 4. It's still touchwiz-y. But it has a lot more functionality without the bloat. I seriously think you should try it before knocking the new Touchwiz. 

I just noticed that they are already on US Cellular's website:  http://www.uscellular.com/samsung/samsung-galaxy-s6.html

I agree with Zenzr, apparently Samsung has toned down the bloatware and UI for these phones. I watch Leo Laporte on the TWiT.tv network, and he has always ranted on Samsung and their bloated phones, but lately he has been pretty happy with what they are doing.

Edited by Fallstar

I might give it a look now that there is no battery to remove and lose or extra storage options with an SD card slot...

All I know is my wife's s4 has so much junk on it that I don't even like to use her phone in a pinch when mine is in the other room!!! My s3 was loaded but her s4 is like double the junk...

If you all are saying it is toned down I might look at them again.

I might give it a look now that there is no battery to remove and lose or extra storage options with an SD card slot...

All I know is my wife's s4 has so much junk on it that I don't even like to use her phone in a pinch when mine is in the other room!!! My s3 was loaded but her s4 is like double the junk...

Don't get me wrong, it's still touchwiz. But I really think they're at least headed down the right path, or at least starting to. 

https://gigaom.com/2015/01/29/report-samsung-unbundling-touchwiz-from-android-for-galaxy-s6/

All I know is my wife's s4 has so much junk on it that I don't even like to use her phone in a pinch when mine is in the other room!! My s3 was loaded but her s4 is like double the junk...

I don't blame you for being apprehensive, I've dealt with the bloat myself on the S2, S3, and Note 2. And yeah, Samsung was (pretty much) the last bastion of manufacturers with removable batteries and SD card slots. Hopefully the paring down of apps will leave more space for the user's stuff, and more efficient on the battery life. My Note 2 had great battery life, never needed to swap it out.

I think the S6 looks pretty sexy, don't know about the Edge version...I'll wait until my local store gets them in, and go check them out. I *just* got my Nexus 6, so I doubt I'll be switching over/back to Samsung right now. =-P  

I played with my brothers Edge the other day - you can do a lot with it - but its awkward to use and feels...funny...

I never use my phone in landscape - which seems to be the most useful way to take advantage of the edge stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I just don't get the appeal of the edge.  The s6 does look a lot nicer than the s5, but it's still typical crap design from Sammy.  

I'll probably just buy a used S5 when the S6 comes out.  The idea of no SD card is very annoying.  I don't want to have to pay an extra $100-200 for a decent amount of storage built into the phone when I can buy a $30 64GB card.

I mean, I understand that they are intentionally limiting the useful life of your phone by handicapping the battery and storeage options so that you are forced to buy a new phone sooner, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

That's why the S5 was amazing. You could use a 128GB SD card, for $90 that's a steal compared to the phone manufacturer charging $100-$200 more for less than 1/2 that.

My alternative for short term high storage needs is the USB OTG corsair doo-dah.

You can get this USB thumb drive that plugs into the phone and poof, more storage - and it fits in your pocket, so when you're low on storage pop that in and move things over.

Alternatively, what I've recently been kinda adopting, the automatic backup of pics. I use google, but I hate their UI on PC, breaking it up by date...

Sent from my Nexus 6

That's why the S5 was amazing. You could use a 128GB SD card, for $90 that's a steal compared to the phone manufacturer charging $100-$200 more for less than 1/2 that.

My alternative for short term high storage needs is the USB OTG corsair doo-dah.

You can get this USB thumb drive that plugs into the phone and poof, more storage - and it fits in your pocket, so when you're low on storage pop that in and move things over.

Alternatively, what I've recently been kinda adopting, the automatic backup of pics. I use google, but I hate their UI on PC, breaking it up by date...

Sent from my Nexus 6

I don't have anything against cloud storage per se....  Its just that the way I use my phone, there are two distinct disadvantages for me.  1)  I'm on US Cellular, so most places I travel to are data roaming areas.  If I want access to previously uploaded content, I have to find free WiFi (not always convenient), or I'm out of luck.  2)  I frequently use my phone as a movie or MP3 player in said roaming areas (for example, on a beach up in northern Wisconsin).  A capability that is severely limited by the lack of a microSD card unless I want to spend an extra $200 on my phone when I buy it.

I know I'm in the minority of phone users, so I don't really expect to have everything catered to me, its just irksome that they take away a perfectly useful feature that set them apart from everyone else solely because they want to force users to buy a more expensive version of the phone.  (Again, its a business so I understand, I just don't like it!  :)

That's EXACTLY how I feel and think. I don't watch movies, really. But I use BT audio every day.

But still. That data roaming cap has been in place since before smart phones existed. They've needed a revamp for a decade or better.

Sent from my Nexus 6

I am in the same boat with the battery and SD card. Not sure where they got the idea that people don't like removable storage and such. All about control. I'll keep the s5 for now. I like to say I am stubborn, but I am pretty sure at the moment. I am sure it is a nice phone though. Just not sure it will blow the s5 out of the way. The edge screen means nothing to me. I don't use stock ROMs ever so TW is not a big deal to me. S5 is already a powerhouse of a phone. So what is really new and why would I want it I ask???

The only spec that actually may be nice is the camera, BUT its not that much over the S5 - not enough to consider it "better" maybe at best "improved" - but it's not like it makes the S5 look like a dog.

The missing SD slot; as a nexus owner I've come to terms with a phone that never had one by design, vs a phone (the S6) that had one on every model until now. That's stupid.

The battery thing isn't as big of a deal to me, but still, until the S6 it had it, WTH would they change it now?

I hope its a belly flop phone. I hope it falls on its face hard.

If they take storage away (and I said this with the Nexus) they should offer unlimited storage of pics and video taken with that device - and the data used to upload those pictures and video should not count against your monthly limit. - THATS - fair for taking away the option for additional storage.

For what we pay, and they actually TAKE AWAY features we value as users - its only fair that I can free space without having to pay more due to a stupid design change that the manufacturer was peeing sitting down when they thought of it.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Camera is no biggy for me either as I only use it for quick snapshots of something, and I use the DSLR for actually taking photos. I do think that storage inline without data charges would be nice, but I also don't like handing over my personal information and documents to someone else. I have my own NAS at home and I like it. I am not sure that would be "supported" if it came to that. I think we all just have to wait and see really. We don't have to buy it, and there are other options of course. I still want to check it out at least

Camera is no biggy for me either as I only use it for quick snapshots of something, and I use the DSLR for actually taking photos. I do think that storage inline without data charges would be nice, but I also don't like handing over my personal information and documents to someone else. I have my own NAS at home and I like it. I am not sure that would be "supported" if it came to that. I think we all just have to wait and see really. We don't have to buy it, and there are other options of course. I still want to check it out at least

A properly configured nas at home should be accessible from anywhere.... I have one that I can get to at any time...

A properly configured nas at home should be accessible from anywhere.... I have one that I can get to at any time...

But it still counts against your data usage for it if you're not on WiFi obviously. 

Exactly - ANY pics or vids you take or need to view that were taken on THAT device should NOT count against your data since they took away the option to expand storage on the phone itself.

I dont get it.

On the nexus it makes sense since thats how it has ALWAYS been, but to take it away and have no form of compensation?  Thats like level 9000 stupid.

(if anyone gets the "over 9000" joke - you know what i'm saying.)

Correct, I can access my NAS from anywhere of course. This was in reference to the conversation and it being counted against data. When unrooted a 16gb phone is not bad, but in a rooted filled up s5 the cwm backup takes up nearly a quarter of the internal storage space. Going to have to make a case with built in sdcard storage that plugs into the USB port for access. Just thought of a great product, lol.

Correct, I can access my NAS from anywhere of course. This was in reference to the conversation and it being counted against data. When unrooted a 16gb phone is not bad, but in a rooted filled up s5 the cwm backup takes up nearly a quarter of the internal storage space. Going to have to make a case with built in sdcard storage that plugs into the USB port for access. Just thought of a great product, lol.

Fasion it out of a USB OTG adapter lol. 

Or just cut a hole in the side of the phone and jam a sdcard in there and hope it does something. Seriously, a sure fire way for me to never get the phone would be to deny root!