HipKat

Google Officially Announces Android 5.1 [RELEASED]

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/03/09/google-officially-announces-android-5-1-rollout-starts-today-dual-sim-support-hd-voice-and-device-protection/

Android 5.1 is finally here, at least according to Google (they'd know, right?). The company just posted on the official Android blog that the 5.1 Lollipop update begins rolling out today, though they didn't quite specify which devices will be getting it. Granted, if it's a Nexus or GPE phone and it already has Android 5.0, you can probably count yourself in for the 5.1 party - this release is mostly bug fixes with a few features rolled in (see our feature spotlights for 5.1 here for some of them).

Among the changes Google highlights are native dual SIM support, joining Wi-Fi networks and controlling Bluetooth settings directly from the quick settings menu, and HD voice calling. Nexus 6and Nexus 9 get a new Device Protection feature built in, which is probably in response to new laws in multiple states requiring remote "kill switches" be built into new smartphones. Devices that ship with 5.0 or earlier, it seems, will not get this feature (granted, you can still use Android Device Manager, though that doesn't survive a wipe).

We're on the lookout for the update, build LMY47D, and will post as we're able to obtain ZIP files or other relevant information.

--UPDATE--

5.1 Nexus 6 images are now live: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Direct Download: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/shamu-lmy47d-factory-6c44d402.tgz

TUSCC upload of 5.1: http://upload.teamuscellular.com/6s1

Decrypt 5.1: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=59402659&postcount=966

How to flash a factory image: http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/7837-how-to-return-to-stock/

(alternative, download Wugs and use it, very easy - google it)

Edited by iRub1Out

[Android 5.1 Feature Spotlight] Volume Interruptions Menu Adds "Until Next Alarm" As A New Option

Full Story

File this one in the long list of small but nonetheless significant Android 5.1 improvements. In Lollipop, when you try changing the phone's volume, you get 3 different modes: None, Priority, and All. For better or worse, it's still the case in Android 5.1 with one minor addition: alarms are now integrated as a deadline option.

Thanks for the update HipKat!   We are all looking forward to 5.1.  Glad to get some official news!  ;)

Edited by Kevin58

5.1 got added to the google factory images website for the nexus 5, the nexus 10, and the nexus 7.

So we should be getting it anytime over the next few days

Now - that is curious as all heck.

How did the previous gen of Nexus get it prior to the current flagship gen!?

Not that its a huge deal, but curious nonetheless

Now - that is curious as all heck.

How did the previous gen of Nexus get it prior to the current flagship gen!?

Not that its a huge deal, but curious nonetheless

Especially when they talk specifically about the Nexus 6 and 9.   Weird.  **shoulder shug**

I hope my 1st green nexus 7 gets this and it stops the launcher force closes and the lag in some apps! I have to reboot more often now to get out of an app that has gone unresponsive.... But it could just be my nexus 7 as others don't seem to have any problems...

I will keep looking for this ota to hit!

I still cant figure out why the older devices would get it prior to the new ones.

Only big thing that jumps out at me is if theyre skipping 5.1 entirely for the new devices and jumping straight to 5.1.X or 5.2?

IDK just spitballing ideas.  Ive never seen older devices updates from google prior to flagship.  

*scratches head*

I still cant figure out why the older devices would get it prior to the new ones.

Only big thing that jumps out at me is if theyre skipping 5.1 entirely for the new devices and jumping straight to 5.1.X or 5.2?

IDK just spitballing ideas.  Ive never seen older devices updates from google prior to flagship.  

*scratches head*

I highly doubt this is the case, and i'm wondering if this is how it always is with nexus updates (older devices first) or something that is just happing this one time

When the 5 launched it launched with 4.4 I believe and the 4 was updated a few days later from 4.2.

I've always seen the newest having updates the earliest. That's why I was kinda turning my head like a confused puppy

I have a page monitor set to refresh the page every 5 minutes and notify my if anything is different. :P

I'm not so eager because I don't see any real radical changes. Some fixes, yes, new baseband will be nice, but that's not epic, nor is new radios. Some of the visual changes I have, like the rotating icon in Profile tile is in Chroma. Now if I KNEW I could have data on a phone call right away, then maybe yes, I;d be jumping on it

I'm cool just waiting. Flashing back to stock, taking the OTA, rerooting, unencrypting, all that is time consuming and I won't even want to do that until there are legit 5.1 ROMs

Edited by HipKat

We wouldnt have a modified boot right away necessarily - i'm sure it would take more than a day but still, unless they made encryption optional, its kinda silly to take it on Day one.

So can the OTA be applied via TWRP?

I have it downloaded - but don't know what I can do with it

I want to do it so bad but idk if it can be done without first going back to a 100% locked stock state.

Googling it now

Sent from my Nexus 6

I want to do it so bad but idk if it can be done without first going back to a 100% locked stock state.

Googling it now

Sent from my Nexus 6

OTA only work with the stock recoveries & an unmodified system (stock). You have to flash back to stock & boot into your stock recovery & apply the OTA from there.

EDIT: I don't believe you need to be locked again.

Edited by grad

TBH, neither do I. I don't have time tonight to play with it but I'm hoping by morning we'll have more answers

Googling it now

Sent from my Nexus 6

You need stock system and stock recovery and I think the stock kernel to be able to apply the OTA