Sign in to follow this  
ChadGregoire1992

Waiting on a iPhone 5S unlock!

Question

I was wondering if anyone can share their experience in waiting for an unlock to be processed from US Cellular? I called and had them fill out the form to initiate a sim unlock on my 5S, waited 48 hours and did a restore in iTunes, still has the activation policy tied to USCC. Just figured i'd ask here before I try and explain in "simple English" to a regular rep on the phone. Thanks!

14 answers to this question

Is the phone still activated on US Cellular's network? Like, are you using it?

When I have a 5s unlocked they did it right then and there in the store, it took no more than 40 seconds.

You say you did a restore, did you restore an image that was created when you were still on US Cellular or was it just a factory fresh flash image?

Sent from my Nexus 6

No, I don't have US Cellular anymore, but I went over their device unlocking policy with someone from their 800 number and they said they'd be more than happy to submit the form for the unlock since the IMEI was clear and had no unpaid bill. That was on Friday. I called today to try and get a status update to see if it's in the process of being unlocked and the customer service rep had NO idea what I was talking about so they transfered me to Tech, the Tech guy couldn't figure out how to find the status. I'm totally in the dark.

lol, it would be that confusing, wouldnt it?

I'm sure it's all good - but if they are only technically allowed 48 hours - so by this time tomorrow you should have it unlocked and ready to go.

Is there a store near you at all?  If you go to the store they can do it right then and there.  No waiting for some rep in another time zone to get done with it - they will have you in and out.

Well since i'm a non-customer they'd probably shove me back out the door. When I phone customer service, they're quite nice. If I go into a proper store they're always rude.

Thanks!  Long story as to it's origin (wouldnt think so, but it really is a long story) - and somehow it just stuck.  So if you see this name ANYWHERE on the internet, odds are it's me. if it's not, let me know, because i will make it mine.

No, lol, it's much more boring than that.

Truth is, I had a Gamertag on Xbox that, after 4 years, finally got flagged and I had to change it.  Well, when you get flagged you dont have to pay to change it, you just HAVE to change it to sign in - so I made it my personal mission to come up with as many gamertags that i knew would get flagged and subsequently banned, resulting in me getting a new gamertag every other week.

I ended up going through 21 different gamertags, each getting banned anywhere from as long as a month or two to my personal record (potentially world record) 1 minute and 49 seconds.  I made the gamertag, joined an online game via PM, and IMMEDIATELY left because everyone was screaming at me - so i jumped on netflix, and by the time netflix loaded POOF it signed me out and made me change it again.

Then, this name, iRub1Out, was the final one chosen as it NEVER got flagged or banned - until 3 weeks ago - it's the reigning champion at a mind numbing 4 years and 281 days without being flagged or banned.

Now, because M$ finally decided it wasnt an ok name, it's now iRub2Out - but since it's not the original, and MS are a bunch of nun-minded little babies, I just never changed it elsewhere. 

OMG! Hahahaha! That's amazing! It's a name, I don't understand why people have to be childish about it. As long as it's not racist/offensive, I don't see the harm really!

Oh they were every bit as offensive and horrible as you can imagine - hence the insane speed at which they were spotted and banned lol.

some of them were borderline "i dont even wanna go online right now" bad - but hey - they worked.

Hahaha, totally understandable. Well I was gone for a bit, came back, iTunes said my iPhone was unlocked. Took my sim out and slipped my Verizon LTE sim in to test, everything is working 100%. Glad that's finally done!

Well since i'm a non-customer they'd probably shove me back out the door. When I phone customer service, they're quite nice. If I go into a proper store they're always rude.

Hahaha, totally understandable. Well I was gone for a bit, came back, iTunes said my iPhone was unlocked. Took my sim out and slipped my Verizon LTE sim in to test, everything is working 100%. Glad that's finally done!

In my experience with unlocking over the phone it took about 24 hours, you don't need to be a customer to have it unlocked, the ESN just needs to be clean.

I also had a local USCC store unlock a Mega for me, as Rub said literally took 40 seconds.