SBJ1998

Updated FAQ on unlocking/GSM capability on USCC devices - 4/21/2015

I had my galaxy s5 unlocked does this mean I can also use gsm only why I ask is because I put a Verizon Sim card in my phone and I could do just as much with uscc.

Also I want a stand alone smart watch sears.com has them for like 90 bucks and it is quad band gsm fully unlocked. If you go to sears.com and type in smartwatch look for the 90 dollar watch and read about it. It would help out to answer my question can I use it if I stick my uscc Sim card in it?

Also the 2 different simcard uscc has one is global and the other isn't if I use the global Sim card in my s5 or the smart watch will I be able to use cdma and gsm?

Thank all of you...from Virginia

Are you high?

CDMA =/= Quad band GSM

No, it's not going to work.

The only reason you can use a USCC SIM in some GSM phones is because those phones are actually dual-mode phones that do both CDMA and GSM, a pure GSM phone let alone a smartwatch is not going to work with USCC.

Can't you root your phone and enable the hidden file and find the folder or Info and wright the gsm codes your self?

Found a hack after I rooted my phone on tethered found the hidden file and froze a file or something to do with the logo of uscc tethered said something about make a payment plans and it would cut you off so I froze a file and now I can use my phone as a Hotspot or tether now that my phone is unlocked and uscc flash my phone its all back as it should.

That doesn't make any sense, there is no file to "freeze" to enable GSM.

Sammy phones use a RIL(Radio Interface Layer) to select which bands to use, in the case of the USCC S5, it's hardcoded to work on CDMA 1x, EV-DO, and LTE.

GSM will not work period. The hardware is there, but the phone has been programmed from the factory to only work with certain CDMA and LTE bands.

Also wanted to add rub the SIM slot in USCC Sammies is locked against other CDMA network that use a SIM(Verizon, some CDMA providers in Asia, etc), so unlocking it does serve some sort of purpose, but it really only enables the phone to function on another CDMA network without the need for direct NV programming or an MSL/SPC code.

I suppose that's true - and I knew it. I guess I just never needed to address it. Lol

Just that I don't think I've seen more than 1 thread where someone wanted to use a uscc phone on another CDMA network. Rare instance but important, indeed.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Just wanted to add, based on personal experience, USCC stores don't really like it if you bring them devices asking for unlock/ESN checks multiple times. I work in a kiosk adjacent to a USCC store and the new manager there basically told us to GTFO because we were having too many devices unlocked.

Tell him to do his god**** job and unlock the customers phone!

I wouldnt let him push me around even for a second, he gets paid to do that, so if he doesn't like it he can go work somewhere else.  Not that hard of a concept.

I hate people like that - if youre getting paid to do something, and you act like a childish little brat for having to do it, he'd be kicking rocks all the way home.

Tell him to do his god**** job and unlock the customers phone!

I wouldnt let him push me around even for a second, he gets paid to do that, so if he doesn't like it he can go work somewhere else.  Not that hard of a concept.

I hate people like that - if youre getting paid to do something, and you act like a childish little brat for having to do it, he'd be kicking rocks all the way home.

Even the employees at the store are now saying "we only unlock phones for customers now". I just didn't want him to call mall security on me because I go crazy when I'm pissed off lmao. The unlock would come in handy for USCC Sammies because we could now sell them as Verizon or Straight Talk CDMA phones, since they were unlocked.

"Non-Customers seeking to have a U.S. Cellular device unlocked may do so but U.S. Cellular reserves the right to refuse any unlocking request if U.S. Cellular has reason to believe that the request is fraudulent."

O RLY

Call USCC corporate and tell them you want to file a formal complaint on how you were treated at a location.

If it was a corporate location you'll get a long way. But if it was an agent location there's likely nothing they will do about it. But if it is an agent location you can get ahold of whoever owns it.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Call USCC corporate and tell them you want to file a formal complaint on how you were treated at a location.

If it was a corporate location you'll get a long way. But if it was an agent location there's likely nothing they will do about it. But if it is an agent location you can get ahold of whoever owns it.

Sent from my Nexus 6

It's a corporate location, address is 3 S Tunnel Road in Asheville NC if you are able to confirm that.

Might just go to another corporate store to get it done.

There has to be a way to manually unlock USCC Sammies without intervention from USCC, even if it only unlocks for other LTE/CDMA networks it still significantly increases resale value.

I believe USCC Sammies are SIM locked with perso codes like GSM variants, however there is no direct prompt or way to input an unlock code.

I also want to add that when USCC checks a phone to see if it's clean, they aren't running the MEID, but rather the phone number that populates on the SIM card. So all one has to do is completely remove the SIM card or stick one that was associated with an account in good standing in the phone before getting it unlocked.

Edited by SBJ1998

soooo should i be able to unlock my note 3 from uscc to work with straight talk on the cdma side?

CDMA yes, GSM no.

You'll need to purchase a donor phone as it has certain resources *cough* MEID *cough HEX AAA Profile 0 keys cough* used to connect to the network that you will need to clone to your Note 3 but I'm not allowed to discuss that here.

Google DFS CDMATool, you will need your 6 digit MSL code(usually all zeros), and 16 digit Samsung password which is 2013051320130909.

Good luck, and remember, you didn't get this information from me ;)

This it for network? Correct?

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

soooo should i be able to unlock my note 3 from uscc to work with straight talk on the cdma side?

CDMA yes, GSM no.

You'll need to purchase a donor phone as it has certain resources *cough* MEID *cough HEX AAA Profile 0 keys cough* used to connect to the network that you will need to clone to your Note 3 but I'm not allowed to discuss that here.

Google DFS CDMATool, you will need your 6 digit MSL code(usually all zeros), and 16 digit Samsung password which is 2013051320130909.

Good luck, and remember, you didn't get this information from me ;)

This it for network? Correct?

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

I dunno what you're trying to say.

The flashing method I provided above is outdated and irrelevant. What you need to do is get a CDMA Straight Talk SIM, then the phone will work fine provided it has been unlocked.

Moto X 2014 - It seems like the bands on the USCC model will work on Verizon. Am I reading the specs wrong? The IMEI # does not work on the Verizon website to BYOD.

I am traveling outside of Iowa a lot for work lately and find USCC roaming to be horrible. I need a better national carrier.

Moto X 2014 - It seems like the bands on the USCC model will work on Verizon. Am I reading the specs wrong? The IMEI # does not work on the Verizon website to BYOD.

I am traveling outside of Iowa a lot for work lately and find USCC roaming to be horrible. I need a better national carrier.

Yes it will work on Verizon. Just pop in the activated SIM card and you're set. I don't believe it supports their LTE band however but I could be wrong and am to lazy to look it up right now. So don't expect perfection.

So technically no it won't work on VZW in the fully functional sense of all the bands. But it will work without LTE no doubt. And it will work on AT&T just fine and T-Mobile for the most part as well.

You need to use a dummy IMEI to set up the SIM, then you can use your Verizon SIM in your Moto X as normal.

So if I were to get a new iPhone 6 (or 6s) under 2yr contract I could take out the USCC sim and put in one from one Verizon? Or any GSM carrier and it'd work? Or do I need to get it sim unlocked first? (Sorry for the noob questions, never dealt with new iOS devices before.)

Basically I want to use my brothers upgrade (He got a new 6P) for a iPhone as a backup phone and to be used just for fun.

If it behaves like a nexus it should work - but you have to unlock them through uscc - so... it might not work.

I'd try it out if you can - i dont have one to test anymore.

That's what I want to know. I may just call USCC and ask. Though I don't expect the agents to have any idea what I'm talking about. 

So if I were to get a new iPhone 6 (or 6s) under 2yr contract I could take out the USCC sim and put in one from one Verizon? Or any GSM carrier and it'd work? Or do I need to get it sim unlocked first? (Sorry for the noob questions, never dealt with new iOS devices before.)

Basically I want to use my brothers upgrade (He got a new 6P) for a iPhone as a backup phone and to be used just for fun.

If it behaves like a nexus it should work - but you have to unlock them through uscc - so... it might not work.

There is no longer any need to unlock them for domestic use, unless you have a 4s

There is no longer any need to unlock them for domestic use, unless you have a 4s

So I can buy a new 6s on contract and it's good to use on any US Carrier? I apologize for repeating my question I just want to get all my ducks in a row. As much as I hate iOS, I like having cross carrier compatible phones, and although I love my Nexus I don't really think it's worth the buy over a new iPhone at the moment for the same price. 

Edited by Zenzr

So I can buy a new 6s on contract and it's good to use on any US Carrier? I apologize for repeating my question I just want to get all my ducks in a row. As much as I hate iOS, I like having cross carrier compatible phones, and although I love my Nexus I don't really think it's worth the buy over a new iPhone at the moment for the same price. 

Exactly, it's fully unlocked and can be used on any CDMA or GSM carrier.