ajhman

Google project fi

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/8467433/google-launches-mobile-service

Very neat concept by google. Surely, just like fiber it will be better than most other providers, not because of actual coverage, but just because of the company who is running it. Also, if you have a nexus 6 and are going to some place with no uscc coverage, then this could be an option instead of prepaid from someone like T-Mobile or Verizon

Sent from my Nexus 6

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/8467433/google-launches-mobile-service

Very neat concept by google. Surely, just like fiber it will be better than most other providers, not because of actual coverage, but just because of the company who is running it. Also, if you have a nexus 6 and are going to some place with no uscc coverage, then this could be an option instead of prepaid from someone like T-Mobile or Verizon

Sent from my Nexus 6

I really really realllllllly hope this is a thing by June. 

I wouldn't mind using it when I go to the beach this summer. And i agree it would be nice for your trip this summer as well

Sent from my Nexus 6

When it comes time to sign up for Project Fi, you’ll start out with a $20 plan that includes unlimited talk and text, unlimited international text, low-cost international calling, Wi-Fi tethering, and coverage in more than 120 countries. You then add between 1GB and 10GB of data at a price of $10 per gigabyte. At the end of the month, Google will credit you for the data that you don’t use.

I like it

I really want to try this out. reallllly bad. I have decent sprint service in my town but no TMO sadly. 

It sounds sweet. Basically, if you sign up for a 1gig plan then end up using 2gigs that month, then you only pay the same as using a 2gig plan. And if you sign up for a 5gig and only use 2.5, then you'll get $20 back (data rounds up and you get back $10 per gig not used)

Its fair! and I really like it. Might have to give it a try, even if just for a month

EDIT: Just realized data doesnt round up, so if you paid for 5 and only used 2.5, then you'd get $25 back, not what I said before.

Although you dont really get the money back, it just rolls over and would take off of the next months bill, which is still sweet!

Edited by ajhman

I'm with zenz.

T-Mobile service is about as good as using a string and cups in my area. Not worth it since I already know it won't be good.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Even worse is Sprint here. Supposedly they have good coverage, but youre lucky to get any kind of service with coverage or not. 

It's about time I think. Hopefully they'll add the other carriers over time with new carrier agreements. (:

It's about time I think. Hopefully they'll add the other carriers over time with new carrier agreements. (:

If they add anyone with service here I will legit hop over and leave a dummy phone on USCC for me. 

Imagine how crazy it would be to have one small carrier (like project fi) that included every single carrier in the US. That away, no matter where you went to travel, you wouldnt ever have to worry about roaming. That would be something that I would pay for in a heartbeat!

Sadly, this is unlikely to happen with every single carrier, but I could see google eventually getting everyone but verizon on board with it

This is cool and all, but if i were thinking about doing this, i would rather just sign up for T-mobile or sprint and get the 2 lines with unlimited data for $100 a month since google is using T-mobile and sprint towers.

This is cool and all, but if i were thinking about doing this, i would rather just sign up for T-mobile or sprint and get the 2 lines with unlimited data for $100 a month since google is using T-mobile and sprint towers.

TMO doesn't have service in near as many places as Sprint does though.

I also wonder about roaming agreements. So while we get to use Sprint's network, does this include roaming on Verizon or US Cellular with that?

Either way. Sprint + T-Mobile = Awesomeness. Great place to start. It's going to open up the door to something big down the road.

I wonder if there will be any kind of activation/de-activation fees?

I'm thinking I might just sign up for the trips I take to Dallas or OC for work, and then turn it off once I get back. I have Google Voice, so I can just use that number and no-one would be aware I was using a different carrier/number. IDK, probably more worthwhile to just cancel USCC and switch to this since I get good Sprint/Tmobile coverage where I'm at. 

I'm still torn because it is a good deal, but it's not a great deal when you start factoring in multiple users on a family plan. 

3 phones and 6 gigs of shared data cost me $220 with USCC, so how is the Google one not a good deal? 20+20+20 for talk/text +20+20+20 for data = $120  and USCC doesnt give me any money back even though all three phones only use about 3 gigs total a lot of months.

Coverage is the key deal breaker for me  ::) .

Coverage will only get better as they add carriers though.

Edited by Zenzr

According to the maps I should be covered, I got on the invite list so we will see what happens, about time someone stirred things up with the carriers and all this locked, no updates, bloatware galore, contract mess.

You should be able to buy a phone anywhere pop a sim card  in and go, that is what they are for, I know, I know dream on right!!.

I also wonder about roaming agreements. So while we get to use Sprint's network, does this include roaming on Verizon or US Cellular with that?

Either way. Sprint + T-Mobile = Awesomeness. Great place to start. It's going to open up the door to something big down the road.

Domestic Roaming is all GSM/HSPA (I.Wireless, Viaero, Union Wireless, AT&T, etc.).

I read on T4GRU there is a technical reason for this.

CDMA roaming (EV-DO) requires a PRL while native CDMA (eHRPD) does not.

So you can design a sim to use T-Mobile's LTE/GSM/HSPA network along with Sprints CDMA/LTE network, roaming just has to be GSM based only.

You could probably add US Cellular to the mix if they want to participate (and they should). It would have to be counted as native coverage (access to eHRPD) for it to work though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by lynyrd65

Domestic Roaming is all GSM/HSPA (I.Wireless, Viaero, Union Wireless, AT&T, etc.).

So you can design a sim to use T-Mobile's LTE/GSM/HSPA network along with Sprints CDMA/LTE network, roaming just has to be GSM based only.

You could probably add US Cellular to the mix if they want to participate (and they should). It would have to be counted as native coverage (access to eHRPD) for it to work though.

Google may have something clever up their sleeve for the roaming. I think we'll just have to wait and see.

Google may have something clever up their sleeve for the roaming. I think we'll just have to wait and see.

I hope so. That'd be awesome.