ajhman

Google project fi

Why wouldn't I? When I asked for an invite I put in my zip and was in a LTE market. Everywhere around me is for the most part.

It said I'm all set and to wait. They really have no reason NOT to send one.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Exactly, why would u not receive an invite? 

Nothing here yet. And I never have had GV. 

Well...

Google sh*ts their own bed again don't they...

Basically, take GV, make it available to everyone and them strip it of every feature that made me use it in the first place.

Thanks for the link. That pretty much slams the gavel on this decision for me.

VZW it is. That's so dumb.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Yeah, it's really frustrating. Sounds like you could sign up with a different google account and keep your normal services...but that sounds like a lot of extra work for something that may not even work well. Ugh...I feel like this is every Nexus up until the 6 all over again - get excited for a new google product only to figure out I can't use it because of some service I have to use.

Well, looks like this isn't happening anytime soon.

Within 30 days they said.

I had high hopes - but - don't care enough to wait that long to try it. Google, yet again, poops the bed.

872f053e99b3109eb407424afa798f0b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6

Yeah, I got that also..............

This doesn't seem to compete with family plans, my current USCC plan is 4 lines/8GB for ~$110 (including corp discount excluding taxes). Project Fi would be $160 for the same data and less rural coverage. Off course I would get ~$20 back for unused data depending on the month, but I don't see an advantage unless I'm missing something. TMO coverage is terrible in Iowa and Sprint is mediocre at best.

I really hope I get one before the end of June. 

I would have 99% LTE coverage of my trip. 

post-7207-0-33455100-1432311709_thumb.jp

Man speaks the truth.

Tmobiles coverage in iowa is, for lack of a better term, sh*t.

If you stay within 5 miles of I80/I35 you'll be fine, but you head anywhere further you'll have a fancy Angry Birds game.

Well, looks like this isn't happening anytime soon.

Within 30 days they said.

I had high hopes - but - don't care enough to wait that long to try it. Google, yet again, poops the bed.

872f053e99b3109eb407424afa798f0b.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6

Got the same sad email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man speaks the truth.

If you stay within 5 miles of I80/I35 you'll be fine, but you head anywhere further you'll have a fancy Angry Birds game.

Which is lucky for me. TMO and Sprint have 4g all along that highway. but go 5 miles away and it looks like GG no re. I'll be in Chillicothe MO where all major carriers have strong 4G (according to their maps) so I'm not terribly worried. I just want data there and back. 

This doesn't seem to compete with family plans, my current USCC plan is 4 lines/8GB for ~$110 (including corp discount excluding taxes). Project Fi would be $160 for the same data and less rural coverage. Off course I would get ~$20 back for unused data depending on the month, but I don't see an advantage unless I'm missing something. TMO coverage is terrible in Iowa and Sprint is mediocre at best.

It's not for families. That's the advantage. That and it uses two carriers. Which in the midwest neither are great it sounds like. Westcoast T-Mo outside any city is crap but Sprint is great. Gimme my inviteeeeeeeeeeeee!

Man speaks the truth.

For you and perhaps others I do have an alternative to switching to VZ.

Do you have a tablet?

Tablet plans nearly always include tethering and since (in my case) you're going to pay for a tablet data plan anyway I would put it on a carrier other than your primary (USCC) that way you can have the benefit of having data service through both your main carrier and your tablet carrier.

So for example if you have a USCC 5 gig plan (which allows 200mb of roaming) and an iPad on a 200mb plan with T-Mobile (which is free by the way, as in no cost for the plan ever) you have double the amount of nationwide data for no additional cost over what you were paying before.

In my case I have an iPad on T-Mobile's 3 gig plan ($30). It's a pretty freaking sweet deal, I get unlimited music streaming (with full speed whether I've used up my 3 gigs or not), unlimited throttled data after 3gigs (@128kbps), unlimited international data (also throttled @128kbps) and any data I don't use rolls over every month. So in your case if you don't use it all that often you could rack up a ton of rollover data and go nuts with it on a road trip whenever you need to.

Even if tmo sucks in your home area they rock nationwide compared to CDMA roaming on Sprint. So it would be your dedicated roaming tablet.

Edited by lynyrd65

Isn't the $30 TMO plan 5GB?

I think the 5 gig plan is $40 but you get a $10 a month discount if you have phone service with them. There's a better deal in that case though.

Like I said though I think having different carriers for your phone and your tablet is better. If I had T-Mo for my phone I would get VZ or AT&T on my tab.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Dude, you're gonna be within 30 minutes of here when you get to Bloomington, IL. Sounds like a good time for a coffee break!

Edited by HipKat

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Dude, you're gonna be within 30 minutes of here when you get to Bloomington, IL. Sounds like a good time for a coffee break!

Sadly I don't make the break times, but I'll see what I can do lol. 

OK this is a bit off topic, but I noticed that some are talking as if they plan to swap SIM cards back and forth...is it that simple? I'm asking because I want to go to another carrier.

OK this is a bit off topic, but I noticed that some are talking as if they plan to swap SIM cards back and forth...is it that simple? I'm asking because I want to go to another carrier.

It's supposedly all one sim if I understand. Just one sim for both carriers. 

That's not quite what I meant, I saw someone post that they were wanting to use project fi for their trip and switch back to uscc when they got home or something like that. T-Mobile says they will activate if the phone is unlocked and I'm wanting to do that but I'm unsure on the process

Edit; It is as simple as swapping out sim cards. Nice

Edited by urrgevo

That's not quite what I meant, I saw someone post that they were wanting to use project fi for their trip and switch back to uscc when they got home or something like that. T-Mobile says they will activate if the phone is unlocked and I'm wanting to do that but I'm unsure on the process

Edit; It is as simple as swapping out sim cards. Nice

That was me lol. Only thing to note is you can't use your active phone to do this. I have to have some other smart phone active on my USCC line.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk