Sign in to follow this  
ParadoxHarris

Verizon phone working with US Cellular...

So I had an old Verizon Galaxy S3 that was laying around, while I was using an old USCC Galaxy S2.  Of course I wanted to update, so I picked up a Lollipop rom to tun on the S3 and it works beautifully.  Smoothest OS I've had on my phone.  This includes custom and/or stock roms.  Well, I've been using this rom (CM-12.1) for almost two weeks now, with no issues aside from the normal Camera not connecting, lack of MMS, and no 4G.  Camera issues is common with CM12, MMS is just APN settings (I'm hoping), and 4G is due to the different type of 4G radio in the Verizon phone compared to the USCC variant of the S3.  I can live without the 4G though, but it would be nice.  MMS is kind of annoying, having to tell my friends/family to "send it to me on Facebook".  So that's been my experience up until last night...Now comes the issue.  I flashed a d2usc rom to my d2vzw device last night, and everything went smoothly (aside from the normal issues I mentioned above).  It connected to 3G without me having to adjust/change any of the APN settings.  Sadly, this rom was QUITE unstable.  Programs freezing up and crashing left and right.  So I ended up going back to my original d2vzw rom. Now...I can't seem to get it connected to 3G.  I can text and make calls just fine, but no data.  Every time I attempt to edit the APN settings, nothing happens/connects, or the APN setting i'm working on gets deleted.  I've noticed that on the APN setting websites I've found, that there is one setting that is different than mine.  Where it tells me to change the MMC, I have MCC.  Everytime I change the MNC setting, the APN gets deleted.  Let me know what information you need in order to help me get this issue resolved.  Thanks for any help in advance!

Edited by ParadoxHarris

Try doing a factory reset. When I say this I mean from in settings not recovery. Had an APN issue not long ago and after several flashes back to stock not fixing it, the simple factory reset in settings did (for me). Worth a shot I guess.

That's it from me, back to you Bob ;-)

Edited by slim2none4u

Tried that already. :-/ Back to this "buggy" d2usc rom.  It works, but a couple apps I currently use are freezing up and getting the FC issues.  Thanks though.

It's SlimROM (Slim-d2usc-5.0.2.alpha)  Slim roms on my previous devices have usually been great, but now it's laggy.  Wanna take a bet that it's due to the part that says "alpha"?  Lol.  I'd prefer to just go back to the CM12.1 that I was using for Verizon, but using Slim is the only way I have 3G now.  

As long as you have the correct APNs, any USCC ROM will work on your VZW phone. You can take a stock USCC device, install a VZW SIM, and get signal. I assume it works vice versa. No 4G either way, but it works. Try something other than Slim.

I've tried the Liquid Smooth Lollipop rom, but it doesn't recognize the sim card being inserted. I might just be stuck with dropping down to KitKat.  In regards to the APN's being put in there, I've googled and used the correct APN settings, but on the CM12 (d2vzw) rom, anytime I hit save after putting in the correct info, it deletes the APN setting(s) and I have to start back over.  ARGHHH...the joys of using a Verizon phone with USCC right?  Lol

If I may ask, how do you have your S3 activated on USCC? Did you flash it or did you just use a USCC SIM in your device?

The Verizon and U.S. Cellular variants are the same aside from the USCC model forgoing GSM support in favor of a few more LTE bands.

Same question. How do you have it on USCC? It would have to be whitelisted on the network to work.. SIM card swapping doesn't work. It does for VZW service but not the other way around.

Same question. How do you have it on USCC? It would have to be whitelisted on the network to work.. SIM card swapping doesn't work. It does for VZW service but not the other way around.

Are you sure it's whitelisted? I could have sworn someone here said you could swap SIMs between LTE iPhones but for Android devices the SIM has to be manually reprovisioned each time it's placed in a different device. 

I tried a USCC SIM in a Verizon Galaxy S5, it would pick EV-DO however it would be roaming and it wasn't connected to USCC's network.

It has to be whitelisted on USCC's network to work. The reason a USCC phone works on VZW is because VZW only whitelists phones at a customer service level. Not network. Meaning all phones that attempt to access the VZW network are given access with proper "programming" (in this case a SIM card is all that's needed). USCC whitelists at the network level denying all access to any device that doesn't specifically match the IMEI and SIM card registered on the network. If that makes sense... I'm terrible at explanations.

It has to be whitelisted on USCC's network to work. The reason a USCC phone works on VZW is because VZW only whitelists phones at a customer service level. Not network. Meaning all phones that attempt to access the VZW network are given access with proper "programming" (in this case a SIM card is all that's needed). USCC whitelists at the network level denying all access to any device that doesn't specifically match the IMEI and SIM card registered on the network. If that makes sense... I'm terrible at explanations.

I get what you're saying don't worry lol. I'm just wondering to what extent at the network level are devices whitelisted, I personally tried a USCC SIM in a Verizon 5s and was able to get the "Welcome to USCC" message when calling *228 but the programming failed, though this may be because the SIM is inactive as I got the same message when I tried to *228 my USCC S4.

Edited by SBJ1998

Well the SIM is all you need to have an active phone on VZW. No device programming necessary. Which is awesome.

USCC needs the device to be activated with the SIM card. Which is annoying. -_- We need more freedom!

Sorry for such a long time for a response.  I completely forgot about this post!  So to answer some question(s), the individual at the USCC store did pull the battery and input the IMEI number into his computer.  It automatically pulled up that it was a Verizon S3, but was still able to "lock it in" with the SIM card as well.  So yes, I do have the SIM card for USCC in my Verizon S3, but the S3 is registered on the USCC network, not just the SIM card.  So after thinking about it, I kind of cleared up a more recent issue I had.  I FINALLY found my Verizon Note 2, what I originally wanted to use, and flashed CM12.1 (Lollipop) onto it.  Popped in the SIM card, and low and behold, data works...not 4G of course, but 3G works just fine.  Can't make any calls or text messages, but that's due to my Note 2 not being the device registered on the network.  Hope I've cleared some questions up!  Don't hesitate to ask more, now that I know my login for this page once again! lol 

We had a similar situation where I work:

We had 2 Galaxy S3's for USCC, we switched the LCD/frames between them because one was cracked but working and the other was perfect but had a dead motherboard. I forgot to switch the stickers underneath the battery so when the customer who bought it took it to USCC, they activated the MEID underneath the battery which wasn't the actual correct MEID that was tied to the phone.

Even though the correct SIM was installed, the SIM wasn't associated with that MEID so the person was not able to make or receive calls at all, the signal was present but nothing would happen when you tried to call out.

Thankfully there is a USCC store right where I work so that wasn't a difficult fix.

Also it's pretty interesting how USCC has access to other carrier's ESNs, I'm guessing they're referencing an industry association database like imeidata.net or imei.info to figure out if phones are compatible for their network.

The fact that the SIM card is married to the IMEI though is pretty annoying tbh.

Went in today to get my Galaxy Note 2's IMEI and MEID number attached to the account/network, he was looking all over to find a "SAP" number in his system.  No idea what that means, but he ended up having to call a number and have them do it.  He told them that it was a customer owned phone, bought at retail value, and wanted to activate it on USCC.  So maybe it's a way for some people to BYOD?

Went in today to get my Galaxy Note 2's IMEI and MEID number attached to the account/network, he was looking all over to find a "SAP" number in his system.  No idea what that means, but he ended up having to call a number and have them do it.  He told them that it was a customer owned phone, bought at retail value, and wanted to activate it on USCC.  So maybe it's a way for some people to BYOD?

In my 3 years of 'sperging around with cell phones I have never heard of a SAP number.

Google says it's an interface for cars with GSM radios to interact with SIM cards.

Even if USCC's BYOD process seems a little convoluted, it's still a step in the right direction I guess.

This is Paradox btw...just can't log into that account due to my phone going to crap.  That's all that I was able to figure out about the SAP interface as well...I didn't ask the guy too much about it, mainly cause I had kids to deal with while at the store.  Lol  I will recommend that instead of going to a corporate store, you go to a franchise store if anybody is planning on BYOD...Corp stores don't even like to talk about it, unless it's the iPhone 5 and up.

In my 3 years of 'sperging around with cell phones I have never heard of a SAP number.

Google says it's an interface for cars with GSM radios to interact with SIM cards.

Even if USCC's BYOD process seems a little convoluted, it's still a step in the right direction I guess.

The SAP number is just the item ID number that the system uses along with the MEID to recognize the device. Most SAP numbers auto-populate in the system if it's a USCC device. If someone has a device from another carrier though they have to match it with a corresponding USCC SAP number that the system will recognize so they can get it to activate. We see this a lot with Verizon iPhone's, now that they can be activated with USCC. 

I have BYOD for years on USCC.. Sometimes it's been easier than others.. Last year when trying to Get my G3 Activated over the phone they kept trying to tell me it was a Iphone.. It took me 2 store visits and hours on the phone to get it activated.. Hopefully things will be simple when I go to activate my G4.. Im hoping to change to a something even nicer this year but sadly I don't think that will happen unless I can change it over from another carrier to USCC..

If it ain't a USCC device, Nexus 6 or iPhone it ain't happening.