Jayfi

[How To] GSM unlock S6

Anyone interested in unlocking their S6 it's fairly simple. Root and activate the hidden menu (directions are in xda verizon thread) and from the menu you can enable GSM. I have fully working voice,text and edge/LTE data. I have only tested on T-mobile

GUIDE TO GSM UNLOCK S6:

* Root Phone (Use Ping Pong root)

* Enable service menu

* http://forum.xda-dev...cemode-t3109579

* Insert GSM SIM card

* Dial *#27663368378# -This will put you in service mode

* - UE Settings & Info

- Settings

- Protocol

- NAS

- Network Control

- Band Selection

* Make these selections above

* *Make sure you use the more button in the upper right corner to go back if needed(Back Key on phone will exit menu)

* Choose choice 7 “LTE/GSM MODE ONLY”

* Reboot

* Go to settings/Wireless & networks/more and it will allow you to add the correct APN

* Change preferred network type to LTE

Let me know if you need clarification. I don’t have the phone in front of me currently but am pretty certain that is everything

Can the S6 work on any US carrier, after being unlocked?

Edited by Zenzr

Understood but I didn't see any of those links explaining how to accomplish this...correct Mr if I am wrong

Only tested with T-mobile. That works fully.

A Verizon active SIM will work but you will only have 3g data. Will let you know when I try an att

We know that Tmo works. That's the only band that works on every phone pre-S6.

With the S6 pretty much every carrier *should* work as long as they allow it. VZW specifically are jerks about it.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Right but typically in the past it was LTE no voice. I don't think it is really Verizon as the Canadian varient will work with LTE but no voice. The S6 believes it is roaming on Verizon so it won't connected to LTE. That's my theory anyway but yeah in general Verizon isn't very supportive of non verizon phones. I still believe it is possible to get it to function on verizon LTE as the nexus 6 will

I'm sure it is - if you get a Sim card that's activated on VZW and put it in, I'll bet it does in fact work exactly as the nexus 6 does since the FCC now requires them to do so.

The hard part now is getting Verizon to activate it, they will give you a lot of red tape if not make it entirely impossible for you to legitimately activate the phone on their network. You have to trick the system to get it to work

Sent from my Nexus 6

Actually I believe if you put an active Verizon SIM in a Nexus 6 you should get full LTE. Maybe not though? Have you tried? The S6 only gets 3g

Actually I believe if you put an active Verizon SIM in a Nexus 6 you should get full LTE. Maybe not though? Have you tried? The S6 only gets 3g

Nexus 6 works 100% on all US carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah, we've covered all of this many many times.

Sent from my Nexus 6

And here I thought I was younger by days weeks or months or years from when I once read this...

To be fair, the 1900 band is also used by GSM carriers for their LTE network (T-Mobile) 

So... That is kinda odd...

I suppose the S6 perhaps isn't allowed to use GSM networks as originally believed...?  IDK.

If not, oh well, nothing we're not already used to.

I can confirm it does work for voice text and LTE/edge data. I have unlocked 3.

Try it yourself it's easy

But can you confirm that it is using bands OTHER than what it's listed for?

If it's using bands it's NOT FCC approved for, now that would be interesting.  

How exactly can you determine what band you are using? I can use LTE discovery to determine the LTE band (Band 4 for T-Mobile and band 12 for ATT)

Side note I tested with an ATT SIM and it work even better.  I get Voice, text and H/H+ and LTE data.  With T-Mobile it was edge/LTE

That's makes sense since uscc uses band 12 for LTE but it does NOT use band 4 for anything.

So the phone passed the FCC for only one of the two bands you're using...

That's pretty cool. At least it CAN do it compared to having the hardware - but its been permanently disabled - pretty good info man.

Sent from my Nexus 6

How exactly can you determine what band you are using? I can use LTE discovery to determine the LTE band (Band 4 for T-Mobile and band 12 for ATT)

Side note I tested with an ATT SIM and it work even better.  I get Voice, text and H/H+ and LTE data.  With T-Mobile it was edge/LTE

Are you sure that this phone has GSM 3G bands (not according to Samsung specs page?) That's what I'm mostly interested in - if I were to take it to Europe, would it work with their 3G?