Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve

Shared Connect Plan / "Prepaid Only" Phones

26 posts in this topic

I've been a US Cellular customer almost 15 years; currently have one smartphone and one flip phone on an OLD (pre-belief) "local" plan that had 2GB data and $5/mo texting added on the smartphone line. The bill is usually just under $100/month.

My phone (Motorola Electrify M) abruptly died a couple days ago, as described in another thread. So I'm now in a dilemma of how to proceed.

Ideally, I'd like to buy a new lower-end Android phone outright and switch to the 1 GB Shared Connect plan without having to sign a contract.  That saves a bit on the monthly costs vs. my current plan (that accounted for subsidized phone purchases), and can't be renewed at this point anyway. But I'm basically being told that neither is possible.

I really don't want a gigantic phone, or have a need to have a bunch of money wrapped up in the latest and greatest.  However, the only current phones that fit that criteria are "prepaid only".  My local store said they couldn't even sell me one outright unless it was going with a prepaid plan.  The rep I've talked to was suggesting an S5 mini, but it seems fairly expensive for what it is and reviews I saw for the mini were kind of lackluster (especially call quality/reception--which is probably the most important to me).

If I buy a used, or new-from-3rd-party, "prepaid only" phone, will they refuse to activate it on my account?

Are there any scenarios where it is possible to switch to a Shared Connect plan without signing a two-year committment?  Getting on a nationwide plan with texting for both phones and legal tethering is attractive, and although the data would go from 2GB to 1GB, it looks like that would be cheaper.  However, I was told even I owned all the hardware outright I would still have to sign a two-year agreement to switch to the newer Shared Connect plan. I don't understand why that should be necessary if I own the hardware and the phone price isn't being subsidized?

Are there any deals or special accomodations to be had by playing the "longtime customer" card?

Do independent stores that rep US Cellular have any more freedom in what phones they're able to sell you? There is one in a neighboring town that I called earlier to inquire about 15-day returns (they didn't have much Android) that I can probably drive to and back in less time than you typically have to wait to speak to someone at the local corporate US Cellular location.

If you switch plans you will be required to sign a 2yr agreement unless you are switching to a prepaid plan. If you don't want to switch plan, just find a used android phone and call customer hot line and swap it to your plan.

I inquired about a Moto E for my parents on our plan a few months back. USCC customer service folks said it could be used on prepaid plans only.  LG Logos may be in the same boat.

You might want to consider a used S4 mini...a little less horsepower than the S5 mini (not waterproof, though) and can be bought for considerably less $$$.

You don't only sign 2-yr agreements for devices. You must agree to 2-years for Shared Connect in general. This is how it has always been, I think people started getting confused when they would upgrade to a new device and would be required to re-sign. Making it seem like the contract was only linked to the device.

You don't only sign 2-yr agreements for devices. You must agree to 2-years for Shared Connect in general. This is how it has always been, I think people started getting confused when they would upgrade to a new device and would be required to re-sign. Making it seem like the contract was only linked to the device.

The contract is linked to the phone numbers... So it is per line for etf.

Your point? Lol I didn't read any questions about ETFs?

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

Your point? Lol I didn't read any questions about ETFs?

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Tapatalk

the contracts are linked to line service not the plan... you can change plans anytime (once on shared connect)... but you cannot remove lines until the 2yrs are up or you pay etf... Adding lines requires a 2yr agreement for each line.. Edited by Coolasice

Is this two year commitment on shared plans true today?   There is a a lot of pressure from the vmno's like Cricket, IWireless, etc

to promote the "No Contract" scenario.

Is this two year commitment on shared plans true today?   There is a a lot of pressure from the vmno's like Cricket, IWireless, etc

to promote the "No Contract" scenario.

Yes... Still true.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not true. I have purchased 2 phones and 2 tablets outright and I don't have any contracts. Account page lists 2014 contract end dates.

If we bring our own coe how can we tell if we will run into any bumps in the process with it last devices? They were subsidized on the old plan...

Not true. I have purchased 2 phones and 2 tablets outright and I don't have any contracts. Account page lists 2014 contract end dates.

8489c470adbbadfb1588542e2e57c13e.jpgc4d442aab8b1fd35f3eb5b914cae9497.jpg60ce5dc90eb7300a8c0e176d52a26f52.jpge561451a36b821519fa794e2afeafebd.jpg

If you change plans or add a line, with or without a new device a contract must be "signed". Just went through this at a corporate store when bringing an extra 5x for a third line. I declined.

Unless a change is made or you upgrade (without paying full price) you'll sign a contract.

If you don't change the plan and buy your own phone - you don't have to sign ****.

I migrated from the belief plan to shared data in 2014 and only had to complete remainder of  2 year contract. Must have changed since then.

I migrated from the belief plan to shared data in 2014 and only had to complete remainder of  2 year contract. Must have changed since then.

So if we had anything left on the last contract we would have to finish that off? Just the contract or would there be additional charges even though we would have our own coe?

No charges other than the remainder of the contract.

I'm in the same boat. Had to sign a 2-year even though I had my own phones that day. Stupid as h*** rule, but... Yeah

I still have 1 month of contract, then I'm out, free, save me some Canadian pesos with Fi.

No charges other than the remainder of the contract.

I'm in the same boat. Had to sign a 2-year even though I had my own phones that day. Stupid as h*** rule, but... Yeah

I still have 1 month of contract, then I'm out, free, save me some Canadian pesos with Fi.

Okay so if we switch. Contract according to the website isn't done for a few months, all we will have is a new contract? We will still get the coe discount since we are bringing our own devices?

And next question, military or partner discounts, are they solely based now on the data cost?

Okay so if we switch. Contract according to the website isn't done for a few months, all we will have is a new contract? We will still get the coe discount since we are bringing our own devices?

And next question, military or partner discounts, are they solely based now on the data cost?

Yup,. Discounts are only for data portion,. Not line cost.

On my bill, by partner discount($18) is only applied to the "monthly service charge" for the base plan service($90 for Shared Connect 10GB), not the individual monthly phone fees($128 for my 5 lines).

If that makes it any easier to understand.

All makes sense. Only data if affected by the discounts. Anyone know what the military discount is again?

Okay I see it is only 15% now... Now to question the partner discount with my work...

All makes sense. Only data if affected by the discounts. Anyone know what the military discount is again?

Okay I see it is only 15% now... Now to question the partner discount with my work...

I only get 15% discount for my employer