PakRatJR

Has anyone got one yet? My thoughts on things

Went and look at one a couple days ago. Sat their for a good 25 minutes or so playing with it. I like it but I'm still not really sure if it's worth upgrading from the G3 for me. I have to buy it outright if I want one.

The grey back was what they had on display. I forgot to ask about the leather.

What I liked....

It was kinda hard to get a good "in hand" feel because of the security brick on the back but I did actually like the looks of it. The curve is a bit more subtle than what I was expecting from seeing the pictures. Size wise, without a case it is the same as my G3 with a Spigen slim armor case. 

The UI seems nice. I really couldn't compare exactly to the G3 being I have never used the stock launcher on mine, but it defiantly felt nice and snappy. The camera seems a lot quicker to open and shoot from both the screen icon and volume shortcut. When using the volume shortcut, two clicks and it's open and ready to go compared to holding the button on the G3 and waiting. Pictures came out excellent.

Front camera is a lot nicer as well. I looked a lot better on the G4 than I did on my G3 =-P

I don't have a lot of stock apps so it was kinda hard to compare things but the few I could play with did seem to open quicker.  I can also say that from what I could tell, all the "factory" software options that should be their are still their as well. From what I have read elsewhere, several options have been removed on other carriers. Still no FM radio tho.

The display does look quite nice. Colors do look nice and crisp. I could defiantly tell the difference sitting next to my G3. Which leads me to what I kinda didn't like.

I guess i can't really say I didn't like it but.....

The display.

To me it seemed dimmer than my G3. I messed with things with and without the auto brightness and to me, my G3 just seemed brighter all around. I don't know why.

UI wise, although it did defiantly feel quicker as a overall, some things seemed about the same compared to my G3 but it could very well be stock vs aftermarket launcher.

Don't really know what else to add for now. I was kinda hoping I would have came out more sure of things for or against, but unfortunately I still don't know which way to go with it. I do really like the G4. I also still really like my G3.

Very tough call.

=o

I was at the agent store for something else, and he told me that the LG G4 currently only works on 3G, some sort of bug won't let it work on the 4G network. Didn't know if if/when it would be fixed. 

Ok, so I went and bought one. ::) Not sure if I should start a new thread or not tho.

Haven't activated it yet. Gonna play with it for a couple days and see how I feel about it. I have 15 days to return it if I change my mind. 

I've had one for a week. I'm really liking it so far. I upgraded from the S4. The 4G has no problems at all and even gets 4G at times in my home. The S4 never would get it at home. We have weak signal where I live. Received first software update this morning for app stability and touch improvement.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

I got the G4 on the 2nd, so far overall great experience. To bad there isn't a lot it Support for root or roms. Not that it's really needed on this phone yet.

I got the G4 on the 2nd, so far overall great experience. To bad there isn't a lot it Support for root or roms. Not that it's really needed on this phone yet.

There won't be. Not nearly as much as Sammy phones.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So for those with the g4, does it record video? I did a compare of several phones and the video recording option said no for the g4...

Yes. It records video in UHD, FHD, HD, and slow-motion.

Interesting then how it didn't show up on the comparison charts.

Thanks for confirming it, appreciate the assist.

I have a G4, however with all the problems I was having with US Cellular's networks speeds at 4G, and the god awful roaming situation they have with other carriers right now, I ended up jumping ship to Verizon. Worked for them for 9 years as a service tech, and was still on thier service after the layoffs, and during all that time I would have never have dreamed of going to Verizon, but I did. Jumped from 0.45mb a sec on USCC's 4G to 35mbs a sec on Verizons in the same area...

As it stands I got a superb deal and its only costing me $27 more than the $45 a month prepaid plan I had with USCC.

Anyways, the phone itself is awesome, however battery life leaves a lot to be desired. The thing tends to munch down on them like a hungry fat man at an all you can eat buffet.. There is a root method available (its on XDA's LG G4 section - USCC is also there) there are zero custom roms as of yet either.. Which to be honest I havent bothered with root on the device, Its such a nice change from Samsung/USCC, that I hardly want to change anything right now.. Of course that will change later I am sure...

Anyways, I will still lurk from time to time, but as it stands, Myself and USCC are totally done and dusted..

Edited by Cythrawl

I have a G4, however with all the problems I was having with US Cellular's networks speeds at 4G, and the god awful roaming situation they have with other carriers right now, I ended up jumping ship to Verizon. Worked for them for 9 years as a service tech, and was still on thier service after the layoffs, and during all that time I would have never have dreamed of going to Verizon, but I did. Jumped from 0.45mb a sec on USCC's 4G to 35mbs a sec on Verizons in the same area...

As it stands I got a superb deal and its only costing me $27 more than the $45 a month prepaid plan I had with USCC.

Anyways, the phone itself is awesome, however battery life leaves a lot to be desired. The thing tends to munch down on them like a hungry fat man at an all you can eat buffet.. There is a root method available (its on XDA's LG G4 section - USCC is also there) there are zero custom roms as of yet either.. Which to be honest I havent bothered with root on the device, Its such a nice change from Samsung/USCC, that I hardly want to change anything right now.. Of course that will change later I am sure...

Anyways, I will still lurk from time to time, but as it stands, Myself and USCC are totally done and dusted..

Wouldn't you want to root and use some of the battery life applications available? 

Wouldn't you want to root and use some of the battery life applications available? 

Maybe, but I am gonna leave it for a bit until root is a little easier ..

After all you can disable most of the apps you dont need .. most of them..

My wife got a g4. She complains about it and I told her it was not the phone but it was lollipoop! She turns the volume down when she plays games and then the text message ringer doesn't ring because it is the same volume as the games.. She has to turn it back up. It was never this bad with KitKat...

Edited by dBuster

It's not the OS. It's LGs decision to combine the ringer volume and notifying volumes. Which i admit is bloody annoying..

You can unlink them without root with a bit of software called Volume Control (persist) on the play store.. But it requires an in app purchase after like 24 hours

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

It's not the OS. It's LGs decision to combine the ringer volume and notifying volumes. Which i admit is bloody annoying..

You can unlink them without root with a bit of software called Volume Control (persist) on the play store.. But it requires an in app purchase after like 24 hours

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I do think it is the OS as it does it on all of the lollipoop devices I have used, my 1st gen x and my 2nd gen x both do it and they are Motorola, not lg

Plus and a big plus, the coders for lollipoop redid the whole volume thing and jacked it all up as now with notifications not tied to the ringer volume my profile apps are having issues not controlling the notifications.... Really sucks being in a meeting and you get a text and your phone goes off but your ringer is silenced

Edited by dBuster

That's never happened to me my Nexus has different volumes for phone and media. I always have media volume down but I also rarely have my phone on ring anyway.

That's never happened to me my Nexus has different volumes for phone and media. I always have media volume down but I also rarely have my phone on ring anyway.

Then tell us what the trick is to have the notifications ring tones use the same volume as the main ringer?!

Edited by dBuster