SBJ1998

U.S. Cellular 4G LTE SIM card FAQ

Just wanted to clarify some things because there have been a lot of questions recently about the SIM(really a UICC) used in USCC 4G LTE phones.

It is important to note that the cards aren't actually "SIM cards", SIM cards are used only for legacy GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks, the card used by all 3G/4G LTE carrier networks in the United States is a UICC(Universal Integrated Circuit Card). UICCs are designed to be used for CDMA2000, W-CDMA(UMTS), and LTE networks. 

Why does my U.S. Cellular phone have a UICC slot? I thought CDMA phones didn't use SIM cards?

UICC-based CDMA networks are possible, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Integrated_Circuit_Card

U.S. Cellular has moved to UICC-based network authentication for activating new devices. 

What happens if I remove my U.S. Cellular UICC?

You will not have any service at all, the UICC behaves exactly like a GSM SIM, it needs to remain in your phone at all times to obtain service.

Can I swap UICCs between devices like GSM SIM cards?

No, your UICC is paired to the MEID of the device it was activated with, if this specific parity doesn't match, you will not obtain service.

This is an intentional security feature implemented by U.S. Cellular to prevent people from doing things like sticking their UICC in a wireless hotspot.

Edited by SBJ1998

But if your phone is GSM capable you can swap sims, right?

That's what I'm doing right now. In an iffy USCC area so using my cricket sim.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ehh... Kinda. The nexus is easy. But I doubt all phones (idk of one that works the same) would go as smoothly as the N6 does.

The SIM-parity security feature is only enforced on a network level, so taking it to another carrier will work fine, its just swapping in between USCC SIMs that wont work.

The SIM-parity security feature is only enforced on a network level, so taking it to another carrier will work fine, its just swapping in between USCC SIMs that wont work.
Makes sense. That's awesome.

I wish there was a way to forward texts. That's the only thing I'm missing lol.

You mean like viewing a text message and putting a finger on it and holding it there until the options menu comes up with the forward option?

No.

Like when I'm using another sim I can forward calls from my uscc number to the other number. But only calls, not texts.

When switching sims. Not just from your own phone.

No.

Like when I'm using another sim I can forward calls from my uscc number to the other number. But only calls, not texts.

When switching sims. Not just from your own phone.

Understood now. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk and not requiring a separate data plan to the tablet

Hoping I can get some help activating a USCC Note 4 on my Verizon account.  USCC told me over the phone that there "are no locks on the device" (assuming it's not stolen, or money owed on it)  but they also told me "We can't unlock the Note 4 for use on another carrier yet."   However... It's on their site as being able to be unlocked in-store  (http://www.uscellular.com/site/legal/mobile-wireless-device-unlocking.html)   I called the nearest store (90mi away) and the kid said that they "just have a black box that they plug the phone into and it unlocks it"   He's never done a Note 4, and didn't know if it would work or not.   I was not confident with the process after talking to this young man. 

A little background info:   

>>When I put my Verizon UICC (SIM card) into the USCC Note 4, it says "Invalid SIM" and About Phone > Status > CCID says "unknown"     A USCC UICC will produce valid results here.

>>Verizon cannot recognize the MEID on this Note 4 to add it to my account.   This is why they filled out some kind of paperwork to "acquire" it from USCC.   They told me that when the transfer is complete, the Note 4 will magically recognize the Verizon UICC.  Is this true?  It seems unlikely to me that if the MEID number appears in a Verizon database, that the phone will start to recognize the card and the number.   Please tell me I'm wrong.  (and why)

I've read the FAQ and MegaList of USCC phone compatibility... and I've learned that there's a "simple 6 digit code of all zeros" used to unlock the phones...  and that the Note 4 can be unlocked.  (respectively)

However, Verizon and USCC can't seem to play nice with me long enough to get this Note 4 moved to my Verizon account.  So, I have to call in the real intellect, and ask in some TeamUSCellular forums for advice. I only have so long before I can't return the device that I bought, and Verizon already ate up a week of my time with some wild goose chase of filling out some kind of paperwork to acquire the MEID from USCC.

Can anyone give me guidance on what I can do/say to get some real action?  How and where do I apply this simple 6-digit code of all zeros to unlock it? 

If the answer to the question  "Can I move this Note 4 to my Verizon account" is NO...  then let me know why, and I'll fill out the Amazon return form and get on my way.

If it is possible, then I'll go to the ends of the earth to get it to work.   I want an unlocked bootloader and root on Verizon's service.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

--Ryan

Before I start, is there any reason you didn't just buy a Verizon Note 4 to begin with? It seems like it would be much less of a headache.

Hoping I can get some help activating a USCC Note 4 on my Verizon account.  USCC told me over the phone that there "are no locks on the device" (assuming it's not stolen, or money owed on it)  but they also told me "We can't unlock the Note 4 for use on another carrier yet."   However... It's on their site as being able to be unlocked in-store  (http://www.uscellular.com/site/legal/mobile-wireless-device-unlocking.html)   I called the nearest store (90mi away) and the kid said that they "just have a black box that they plug the phone into and it unlocks it"   He's never done a Note 4, and didn't know if it would work or not.   I was not confident with the process after talking to this young man. 

>>When I put my Verizon UICC (SIM card) into the USCC Note 4, it says "Invalid SIM" and About Phone > Status > CCID says "unknown"     A USCC UICC will produce valid results here.

>>Verizon cannot recognize the MEID on this Note 4 to add it to my account.   This is why they filled out some kind of paperwork to "acquire" it from USCC.   They told me that when the transfer is complete, the Note 4 will magically recognize the Verizon UICC.  Is this true?  It seems unlikely to me that if the MEID number appears in a Verizon database, that the phone will start to recognize the card and the number.   Please tell me I'm wrong.  (and why)

I've read the FAQ and MegaList of USCC phone compatibility... and I've learned that there's a "simple 6 digit code of all zeros" used to unlock the phones...  and that the Note 4 can be unlocked.  (respectively)

However, Verizon and USCC can't seem to play nice with me long enough to get this Note 4 moved to my Verizon account.  So, I have to call in the real intellect, and ask in some TeamUSCellular forums for advice. I only have so long before I can't return the device that I bought, and Verizon already ate up a week of my time with some wild goose chase of filling out some kind of paperwork to acquire the MEID from USCC.

Can anyone give me guidance on what I can do/say to get some real action?  How and where do I apply this simple 6-digit code of all zeros to unlock it? 

If the answer to the question  "Can I move this Note 4 to my Verizon account" is NO...  then let me know why, and I'll fill out the Amazon return form and get on my way.

If it is possible, then I'll go to the ends of the earth to get it to work.   I want an unlocked bootloader and root on Verizon's service.

--Ryan

The answer is no.  Because Verizon won't activate a non-Verizon phone onto their network.

Before I start, is there any reason you didn't just buy a Verizon Note 4 to begin with? It seems like it would be much less of a headache.

Fair question... Verizon Note 4s are bootloader-locked. USCC Note 4s are not. I wanted root, and custom recovery/kernel/aosp ROM support is a bonus.

Hoping I can get some help activating a USCC Note 4 on my Verizon account. USCC told me over the phone that there "are no locks on the device" (assuming it's not stolen, or money owed on it) but they also told me "We can't unlock the Note 4 for use on another carrier yet." However... It's on their site as being able to be unlocked in-store (http://www.uscellular.com/site/legal/mobile-wireless-device-unlocking.html) I called the nearest store (90mi away) and the kid said that they "just have a black box that they plug the phone into and it unlocks it" He's never done a Note 4, and didn't know if it would work or not. I was not confident with the process after talking to this young man.

>>When I put my Verizon UICC (SIM card) into the USCC Note 4, it says "Invalid SIM" and About Phone > Status > CCID says "unknown" A USCC UICC will produce valid results here.

>>Verizon cannot recognize the MEID on this Note 4 to add it to my account. This is why they filled out some kind of paperwork to "acquire" it from USCC. They told me that when the transfer is complete, the Note 4 will magically recognize the Verizon UICC. Is this true? It seems unlikely to me that if the MEID number appears in a Verizon database, that the phone will start to recognize the card and the number. Please tell me I'm wrong. (and why)

I've read the FAQ and MegaList of USCC phone compatibility... and I've learned that there's a "simple 6 digit code of all zeros" used to unlock the phones... and that the Note 4 can be unlocked. (respectively)

However, Verizon and USCC can't seem to play nice with me long enough to get this Note 4 moved to my Verizon account. So, I have to call in the real intellect, and ask in some TeamUSCellular forums for advice. I only have so long before I can't return the device that I bought, and Verizon already ate up a week of my time with some wild goose chase of filling out some kind of paperwork to acquire the MEID from USCC.

Can anyone give me guidance on what I can do/say to get some real action? How and where do I apply this simple 6-digit code of all zeros to unlock it?

If the answer to the question "Can I move this Note 4 to my Verizon account" is NO... then let me know why, and I'll fill out the Amazon return form and get on my way.

If it is possible, then I'll go to the ends of the earth to get it to work. I want an unlocked bootloader and root on Verizon's service.

--Ryan

The answer is no. Because Verizon won't activate a non-Verizon phone onto their network.
They tried... but I don't think they knew HOW. Unless it was a run-around...They tried to fill out some BS paperwork to acquire the MEID from USCC.

I can't get any further because verizon can't punch in the MEID and see "its a note 4" and continue with activation. The meid might as well be 99999999999999 when I read it to them. Its just not recognized, so I feel that it has to get "released" and added to Verizon's database before I can get any further.

Did you just try googling "root Verizon note 4"? I just did and you can root them...

I'm very well-read on the topic, unfortunately... Keep reading. The only root is temporary due to write protection at the system level. And still no hint of bootloader unlock.

Trust me... I'd save myself a lot of trouble if I could.

Before you suggest, I am aware of the dev edition. But its currently out if my budget. Very soon, I'll be able to justify the extra cost... but getting this USCC Note 4 was supposed to be a cool project for me, a pioneer for other Verizon Note 4 owners to look up to for a path to root.

Edited by DrPhant0m

I still really don't think you'll ever get Verizon to activate it. That's kind of their thing, always has been.

I know they said something about filling out some kind of form but Verizon still uses bands that phone does not support - so even if it is unlocked by US Cellular that means almost nothing.

The capabilities it games after being unlocked are almost non-existent.

If Verizon does somehow get it activated on your line I'm still thinking there will be things that don't work - for if they do work they won't work nearly as well as they would if you were using all the bands that Verizon offers.

Does that make sense? It won't be as good as a real vzw phone if it works at all.

I still really don't think you'll ever get Verizon to activate it. That's kind of their thing, always has been.

I know they said something about filling out some kind of form but Verizon still uses bands that phone does not support - so even if it is unlocked by US Cellular that means almost nothing.

If Verizon does somehow get it activated on your line I'm still thinking there will be things that don't work - for if they do work they won't work nearly as well as they would if you were using all the bands that Verizon offers.

Does that make sense? It won't be as good as a real vzw phone if it works at all.

I get it... but what bands aren't supported? When I get a chance, I'll copy and paste the bands that come enabled on the verizon vs us cellular note 4s straight from samsung's product pages.

1x, 2G, and 3G CDMA are identical.

LTE is almost the same, save for verizon using band 4 and 13, and USC using 4 and NOT 13.

Living in the Pittsburgh area... I've never connected to band 13. Only 4, so-called XLTE... so I wouldn't miss band 13 anyway

Is there a flaw in my research? Please let me know if so.

***ADDITION***

OK, here goes...   My son is in bed now, so I have time to post this:

Courtesy of:  

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-note/SM-N910VZKEVZW (VZW Edition)

and

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-note/SM-N910RZKEUSC (USCC Edition)

Please observe the BLUE (compatible) and RED (incompatible) portions below:

Verizon:

• FREQUENCIES AND DATA TYPE

CDMA Data - 1x and EVDO Rev0/RevA;

2G GSM: GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900;

2G CDMA: CDMA800, USPCS1900;

3G UMTS: B1(2100), B2(1900), B5(850), B8(900);

3G CDMA: BC0(800), BC1(1900);

4G FDD LTE: B4(AWS), B13(700)***

***May differ by country and carrier.

US Cellular:

CDMA Data ‐ 1x and EVDO Rev0/RevA

2G CDMA : CDMA800, USPCS1900;

3G (CDMA) : 800 / 1900 MHz

4G (LTE Cat 4 150/50Mbps) : B2 / B4 / B5 / B12 / B17***

So, based on these specs, it seems like the CDMA functionality of Verizon is completely covered by the capabilities of the Note 4 made for US Cellular.   Is that inherently wrong?

Not to mention... google "unlock bands Qualcomm"  (add site:xda-developers.com if you'd like) and you'll find a wealth of threads involving the use of Qualcomm dev software (QPST and QXDM) to essentially toggle on/off most bands.  I haven't tried this myself, and most of the users in those threads were on GSM... but it's promising nonetheless.  In fact, I saw that some users have reported toggling on CDMA bands on GSM devices.  So...  I could get a T-Mobile or International GSM version, and theoretically use it on Verizon.  I just decided to get a USCC one, since it seemed to be the closest natively.  (And, the price was right at the time.)    Is anyone here familiar with this process?  It wouldn't be a big leap for me to believe that the antenna can be tuned for CDMA or GSM, and Samsung just presets them per the carrier.  It would make sense, since the Qualcomm chip controls the antenna, and it doesn't really *have* to be a hardware limitation if the manufacturer would rather only build one device and make it configurable.

If anyone is skeptical...  refer to desktop CPUs.  Lots of times Intel and AMD produce the same exact chip, and then burn in the clocks to set the operating speed.  Then, they charge different prices.  The AMD "Black" edition is configurable, and costs the most.  It's kind of annoying because it would be like Ford disabling 4 of the 8 cylinders of a Mustang GT and selling it as a Fiesta.   Although, sometimes the CPU makers can recover costs from dies that have bad sections by burning them out.  I believe this is how the Celeron was born...  they were all gimped Pentium CPUs that they didn't want to throw away.   (don't quote me on that... I'm not 100% sure, but I did get the story from an Intel rep while working at BestBuy... and I've seen it stated elsewhere)

So... is this post long enough yet?

Edited by DrPhant0m

I never said the hardware was incapable. Verizon won't activate it. Their system won't accept the MEID. If you could somehow get past this, then you may get it to work

Indeed. It's not that it won't work, its Verizon saying "No" to non Verizon phones.

Well... supposedly they were trying. They didn't say "no" they just said "we're going to make you wait so long that you give up and send it back"

Also... what about the comment from US Cellular that they don't have an unlock procedure for the Note 4?

There are a lot of disconnects, and its hard to tell which part(s) is holding me back.

I get it... but what bands aren't supported? When I get a chance, I'll copy and paste the bands that come enabled on the verizon vs us cellular note 4s straight from samsung's product pages.

1x, 2G, and 3G CDMA are identical.

LTE is almost the same, save for verizon using band 4 and 13, and USC using 4 and NOT 13.

Living in the Pittsburgh area... I've never connected to band 13. Only 4, so-called XLTE... so I wouldn't miss band 13 anyway

Is there a flaw in my research? Please let me know if so.

***ADDITION***

OK, here goes...   My son is in bed now, so I have time to post this:

Courtesy of:  

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-note/SM-N910VZKEVZW (VZW Edition)

and

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-note/SM-N910RZKEUSC (USCC Edition)

Please observe the BLUE (compatible) and RED (incompatible) portions below:

Verizon:

CDMA Data - 1x and EVDO Rev0/RevA;

2G GSM: GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900;

2G CDMA: CDMA800, USPCS1900;

3G UMTS: B1(2100), B2(1900), B5(850), B8(900);

3G CDMA: BC0(800), BC1(1900);

4G FDD LTE: B4(AWS), B13(700)***

US Cellular:

CDMA Data ‐ 1x and EVDO Rev0/RevA

2G CDMA : CDMA800, USPCS1900;

3G (CDMA) : 800 / 1900 MHz

4G (LTE Cat 4 150/50Mbps) : B2 / B4 / B5 / B12 / B17***

So, based on these specs, it seems like the CDMA functionality of Verizon is completely covered by the capabilities of the Note 4 made for US Cellular.   Is that inherently wrong?

Not to mention... google "unlock bands Qualcomm"  (add site:xda-developers.com if you'd like) and you'll find a wealth of threads involving the use of Qualcomm dev software (QPST and QXDM) to essentially toggle on/off most bands.  I haven't tried this myself, and most of the users in those threads were on GSM... but it's promising nonetheless.  In fact, I saw that some users have reported toggling on CDMA bands on GSM devices.  So...  I could get a T-Mobile or International GSM version, and theoretically use it on Verizon.  I just decided to get a USCC one, since it seemed to be the closest natively.  (And, the price was right at the time.)    Is anyone here familiar with this process?  It wouldn't be a big leap for me to believe that the antenna can be tuned for CDMA or GSM, and Samsung just presets them per the carrier.  It would make sense, since the Qualcomm chip controls the antenna, and it doesn't really *have* to be a hardware limitation if the manufacturer would rather only build one device and make it configurable.

If anyone is skeptical...  refer to desktop CPUs.  Lots of times Intel and AMD produce the same exact chip, and then burn in the clocks to set the operating speed.  Then, they charge different prices.  The AMD "Black" edition is configurable, and costs the most.  It's kind of annoying because it would be like Ford disabling 4 of the 8 cylinders of a Mustang GT and selling it as a Fiesta.   Although, sometimes the CPU makers can recover costs from dies that have bad sections by burning them out.  I believe this is how the Celeron was born...  they were all gimped Pentium CPUs that they didn't want to throw away.   (don't quote me on that... I'm not 100% sure, but I did get the story from an Intel rep while working at BestBuy... and I've seen it stated elsewhere)

So... is this post long enough yet?

I never said the hardware was incapable. Verizon won't activate it. Their system won't accept the MEID. If you could somehow get past this, then you may get it to work

Indeed. It's not that it won't work, its Verizon saying "No" to non Verizon phones.

Verizon doesn't say no at all to non-Verizon phones, you just need a Verizon SIM and the phone will work fine.

Verizon's customer service does have issues activating non-Verizon phones, but you simply need to use a dummy IMEI and it will work fine.

Some people say it isn't possible or against Verizon's policy, so let me reiterate:

Verizon does NOT have a MEID whitelist AT ALL. I have tried a USCC Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, and a Galaxy S3 and they all work flawlessly(except for limited LTE support) on Verizon who had no problem at all activating them.

Edited by SBJ1998

Well... supposedly they were trying. They didn't say "no" they just said "we're going to make you wait so long that you give up and send it back"

Also... what about the comment from US Cellular that they don't have an unlock procedure for the Note 4?

There are a lot of disconnects, and its hard to tell which part(s) is holding me back.

They do, just take it into a store.

I've had a USCC Note 4 unlocked by USCC before, all they needed to do was plug it into their diagnostic tool, keep in mind it only unlocks for CDMA use.

They do, just take it into a store.

I've had a USCC Note 4 unlocked by USCC before, all they needed to do was plug it into their diagnostic tool, keep in mind it only unlocks for CDMA use.

I suspected as much.  I'm so glad I decided to start poking around in these forums for information.  I knew I'd find everything I needed.       It sounds like the phone I got, while advertised as unlocked, was not actually unlocked.  I can't find the APN settings under "More Networks" and I'm pretty sure that's indicative of an unlocked device, right?

Unfortunately, there isn't a US Cellular store for 90 miles from where I live, so I'm going to try to send it back to the seller to get it unlocked... or mail it to a friend that lives in Maine.

Will US Cellular take issue with the fact that the knox flag is tripped?  I used CF-Autoroot on it, which blows the security fuse.   I bought the thing on Amazon with the intent of switching carriers with it, so it's not like I cared about having a warranty.   I'm never going to use any knox-related software... so I didn't even flinch before I flashed it.    Now I'm not sure if they'll deny the unlock because of the tripped flag.

Let me ask this...   are there any methods, even among the darkest corners of the forums, for unlocking the device myself?   VIa Odin- or TWRP-flashable files or anything?   I tried flashing a Verizon modem to the phone (late night effort to get my SIM recognized), and it failed in Odin, and it showed a security error in download mode.  I've been hesitant to try to flash any other carrier files (full Verizon software, for instance) to the phone since then because I didn't want to brick the phone.   But, if I'd flash a CM12 release onto the phone in TWRP... would it be pre-unlocked?  Once I'd do that... would I be able to flash a Verizon ROM to the phone and keep the unlock?   Or...  is what US Cellular does to the phone actually a pretty secure and deep-system change, such that only they can do it, and somehow it can't be touched by other means?

I've never had to unlock a phone before.  Never switched carriers, never traveled internationally and had to use my phone...  Most Verizon phones are unlocked right out of the box, so it's just never been an issue.

Thanks again for all the input!

Edited by DrPhant0m

You won't be able to unlock it yourself, I've never heard of anyone cracking this for USCC.  

But on the good news side:  they won't care that Knox is tripped to unlock.  The only repercussions of Knox tripping is that it disables the Knox enterprise security suite features on the device, and *supposedly* voids your warranty, although I've never heard of anyone being denied warranty replacement on the grounds that Knox is tripped.  99.9% of USCC employees don't even know what Knox is.