Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Motorola Moto E LTE?

I just did the unthinkable earlier and dropped my Electrify M about 35 feet.  It came out of the case on the way down and landed on the SD card side on concrete and the display is mostly shot.  Looking at USCC's Web site I see they have the Moto E LTE which looks to be about the same physical size as my M.  Is there any experience with this phone, or should I look at another.  My brother has the Moto X (2nd) and isn't all that thrilled with it, mostly due to its size. 

Are there any other options I should consider?  I use my phone around the farm so while I want a smart phone I don't care to over spend on something I may destroy at a moments notice.  My requirements are Android, microSD port, and microUSB charging port.

The Moto E is a very low end device, spec-wise.  It's on par with the Elecrify M.  It does have Lollipop though, which is pretty good.  Android 5.0 had a lot of optimizations for lower-end devices to improve their performance.

If you have to get a new phone anyway, you should get one that will stand the test of time.  It won't be long before the EM (and therefore Moto E) are completely obsolete.  The draw for the Moto E is that it retails for ~$100, so you can get a new one soonish.  

The 1st gen Moto X is still a good device.  Mine is running flawlessly, though it's not my daily phone.  I use it for a Chromecast remote and some WiFi-only stuff these days.  I would highly recommend the 1st gen Moto X if you want something A) inexpensive, 2) smaller form factor and C) something that'll last another couple of years without completely pooping the bed.  Just my two cents.  But there is no microSD slot.  It's going to be hard to find phones with microSD support that aren't either expensive/high end or pretty old.  Even the newest Samsung flagships have removed the SD slot.

Also, I think the Moto E is only available on prepaid with USCC... so if you have a contract or whatever they won't activate it for you.  

Check out swappa.com.  There are usually pretty good deals on USCC phones if you can find them.  If you're not eligible for an upgrade, you can usually get a used one for ~50% or more off retail value on there.  I trust Ebay less, it's easier to get swindled there.

Edited by BoгИX

I remembered after the OP that we still had my brother's retired Electrify M.  As it had other issues I watched a brief video on the disassembly process and replaced the screen module in my phone with his.  My M is back and working just as well as ever again.  No trip to the USCC strore required.  8)