bott52

Split SMS Question

Well then we definitely know changing all bools to "true" doesn't fix that issue. I'll dig a little more and see what I can find.

Welp. I tried more things. Doesn't matter what I do. It still sends as a nice long SMS (over 160 because my network supports more than the 1990's SMS limit haha) after toying with more options. No point does it send as an MMS even after doing over a 1000 character limit. Although I can only test between Google Voice and AT&T. I'd like to see someone else's that splits and one that does MMS.

The problem is the messenger app gets its info from mmsservice instead of the mms_config files (will default to the mms_config if no mms service found). If you have ti backup freeze the mmsservice.apk and install the modded messenger... should work. I tried with my s4 and got it to work.

Setting as in...? SMS split option within the app? Or what are you talking about. 

Setting as in...? SMS split option within the app? Or what are you talking about.

The Google codebase... the link I showed earlier...

Mmmkay. I wouldn't consider that a setting. That's why I was confuzzled. As for that code. Well it's to a better option now anyway. Anything beyond 160 characters should without a doubt be MMS. As USCC is stuck in the 1990's of SMS. Nobody likes getting split up messages, especially out of order. Plus, <0.1% of the time would you not be able to send an MMS due to lack of data.

Mmmkay. I wouldn't consider that a setting. That's why I was confuzzled. As for that code. Well it's to a better option now anyway. Anything beyond 160 characters should without a doubt be MMS. As USCC is stuck in the 1990's of SMS. Nobody likes getting split up messages, especially out of order. Plus, <0.1% of the time would you not be able to send an MMS due to lack of data.

I live in the fringe... only have data 75% of the time.... I only use mms for pictures... I don't have any issues with the 160 char limit as I just send another message after... but for some the convenience without needing data is preferred. My stock s4 does this up to 6 pages @160 char/page..

If you have a signal you can send MMS. As 1X (which is the fringe mode) still has slow data. MMS is so little data it would send no different than SMS. Plus multiple SMS is seriously beyond annoying. People that do this driver everyone else nuts.

Time for a new carrier if you never have service? Or just going with Google Voice + WiFi.

I travel all over the state for work. .. us cell is the best coverage for where I travel.. next would be verizon... many of the very rural areas have barely enough signal to make a call let alone send data.... cellular carrier choices are very limited in maine... getting off topic... again, I don't think the change should have been made... best bet is if someone wants this feature is to get a different app.

Edited by Coolasice

The change is for the best of everyone because carriers like USCC don't follow standards. 160 is the old school SMS limit. Most carriers don't have this limit.

So overall, it was the best choice to have SMS to MMS. I'm quite glad they have done this. As are most people. If you need something that splits to 100 annoying texts. Use 8SMS, it's an excellent app! Especially the themed version I have around here. It's beautiful. It offers SMS splitting or MMS. 

The change is for the best of everyone because carriers like USCC don't follow standards. 160 characters is the old school SMS limit. Most carriers don't have this limit.

So overall, it was the best choice to have SMS to MMS. I'm quite glad they have done this. As are most people. If you need something that splits to 100 annoying texts. Use 8SMS, it's an excellent app! Especially the themed version I have around here. It's beautiful. It offers SMS splitting or MMS.

160 7-bit characters is a hard coded limit within the Gsm,CDMA,tdma systems. EMS allows larger text messages along with text formatting and other pleasantries but is secluded to the prime carrier, it does not work between carriers and is not adopted by all carriers/phone mfgs. MMS messages require data use. Everything has its limitation, I prefer multi page SMS vs MMS because of the required data connection. Edited by Coolasice

Yes and 99%+ of places you are have data. Only the places you have no service will you have no data. As for the larger texts. It works fine between other carriers that support over 160, like VZW and AT&T (I think T-Mobile too). I haven't run across issues unless it's someone who has SMS splitting (super annoying). But if you don't have a data connection or any connection most of the time, time to shop for another carrier or buy an external repeater/booster device.

MMS > SMS

Super annoying example. Was texting ma lady last night with Google links and general messages. As is always the case for SMS splitting. She can't click links because they are too long, messages come completely out of order (insanely annoying as crap) and well, you get the point. So MMS is the best solution for all. Glad Google jumped on that train as did USCC. It was a smart move. Benefits all.

I roam a lot for work, if an MMS gets stuck downloading it will try and try until my phone overheats and restarts. So I disable MMS when roaming, and manually download them when I trust my signal.

MMS annoy the crap out of me for this reason, but I see why others prefer them. Honestly, uscc is more my issue, but it's what I have

Sent from my SM-G900R4

I roam a lot for work, if an MMS gets stuck downloading it will try and try until my phone overheats and restarts. So I disable MMS when roaming, and manually download them when I trust my signal.

MMS annoy the crap out of me for this reason, but I see why others prefer them. Honestly, uscc is more my issue, but it's what I have

Sent from my SM-G900R4

If your phone overheats and restarts.. well.. it's time for a warranty replacement or a new phone... because that shouldn't happen no matter what. And MMS texts won't cause a download issue as it's so little data even with the roaming throttle you won't notice an issue. You'll notice a slowness with large pictures a bit but not MMS texts. If you do, it's caused by a tower/network issue and well, everyone will experience that.

That has happened on my S5, S3, and old HTC. All bad devices? I guess my S5 I've never let it get to the point of a restart, but I have lost 50 percent battery in an hour or two and had a smoking hot phone.

I know of no way to turn off text MMS and leave on picture MMS, so I just disable MMS while roaming.

Sent from my SM-G900R4

Man I've never had that happen.

It should never try so hard that it gets hot (hot enough to notice) to retrieve an mms.

My leave roaming auto-retrieve on all the time. But I don't think I've ever experienced that problem then the slightest.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Since this is no longer really pertaining just to the Nexus 6 should we move this to like general USCC discussion or something?