sslowered

Huawei Nexus Angler and LG Nexus Bullhead

With the upcoming Nexus releases, figured we could post up any related rumors and USCC possibilities.  Anyone heard anything as far as USCC carrying the devices or is it too soon to tell?

Seems logical that we would at least carry the LG Nexus given our current positive relationship with them. Might be a stretch to carry both the new Nexus phones which are rumored.

I don't recall in the past a Nexus phone being released for certain carriers, and then the next year it wasn't released for those same carriers (Verizon and the Galaxy Nexus being only exception). 

I think it's more a matter of what hardware and bands it supports. I could see them going back to primarily GSM nexus devices, or CDMA - USCC too. We don't really have a big enough sample size since last year at this time no one would have believed you that we would get the Nexus 6. 

After breaking my Nexus 6 I had to speak with US Cellular Tech Support to activate the new unlocked N6 purchased from Amazon. We had a chance to speak about new phone he hinted but stated that he "couldn't confirm that US cellular may get both the LG Nexus and the Huawei Nexus P." Oh and just FYI my long time salesman that I deal with at the store said they are definitely getting the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition.

Boy howdy, if I believed everything a rep said I'd be a millionaire by now.

After breaking my Nexus 6 I had to speak with US Cellular Tech Support to activate the new unlocked N6 purchased from Amazon. We had a chance to speak about new phone he hinted but stated that he "couldn't confirm that US cellular may get both the LG Nexus and the Huawei Nexus P." Oh and just FYI my long time salesman that I deal with at the store said they are definitely getting the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition.

I agree with what Mike said. They spew BS to keep your business.

We already know that they're activating Moto X PE. It's been posted here multiple times that they're allowing them on the network as they allow Nexus 6's on their network because it works 100%. Just like the Nexus 6 works 100% on all US carriers. 

Oh and just FYI my long time salesman that I deal with at the store said they are definitely getting the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition.

Yeah, not sure I believe that.

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/8484-moto-x-2015/page-10#entry169980

Is anyone actually "getting" the Moto X Pure? I thought the phone was only available straight from Motorola.

Edited by GoPackGo

They announced the other day that they'd activate it, maybe that's what he meant.

I believe that carriers will soon be out of the loop for selling devices.  No more carrier branding, no more incompatible devices between carriers.  Nexus started it, Moto followed suit, and then Apple and soon Samsung.  

With the N6, iPhone, and now the Moto XPE being activated now that they're compatible "unlocked" devices, I see no reason that USCC won't activate the new Nexus fleet.

After all, their main business is providing service.  Not devices.  If people want to pay for their service but bring their own device to the table it'd be silly to not provide that service if it's possible, which it is.

They announced the other day that they'd activate it, maybe that's what he meant.

I believe that carriers will soon be out of the loop for selling devices.  No more carrier branding, no more incompatible devices between carriers.  Nexus started it, Moto followed suit, and then Apple and soon Samsung.  

With the N6, iPhone, and now the Moto XPE being activated now that they're compatible "unlocked" devices, I see no reason that USCC won't activate the new Nexus fleet.

After all, their main business is providing service.  Not devices.  If people want to pay for their service but bring their own device to the table it'd be silly to not provide that service if it's possible, which it is.

Agree with all this 100%. It won't be a long time from now and we won't be buying phones from service providers. It's gonna be good for all of us. More competition for phone service and more open & direct competition between devices/manufacturers. All of it will lead to better prices for us. 

I just made a major change to our plans that made sense for me.  Consider it to see if it makes sense for you.  In my case I had two different accounts on Family Shared plans.  One with 4 lines and one with 3 lines (6 lines max on a plan).  I was considering changing to a shared data plan with all 7 lines on it but even with 7 lines there was only a minimal cost savings and so I have been calling every month or so to see if they would be willing to give me any discounts as incentives.

I was very surprised that in 6 calls over the past few months I have not been able to get any rep to give me a dime of discount to change to shared data.  They used to have some type of incentive available.

However...

This last Saturday the rep told me that she couldn't give me any discount but since myself and son were now out of contract that we could save $30/month on the $40/month connection fee on a shared data plan.  That's on each phone and it lasts until we buy another subsidized phone.  Further, we had 3 other lines that were going off contract (in Feburary 2015 I think) and they "allowed" us to buy out those contracts for 6000 points each so now we are saving $150 per month!

Of course I realize this is for a limited time but the limited time is under our control.  The fact is that I got USCC to send us 3 S4's last January to replace our S3's without extending the contract so as far as we're concerned they are set for at least a year on those.  For me? I bought my Note2 off of CraigsList and am fine with waiting a little while and buying a lightly used Note4 on the secondary market.

Oh, a couple of other things.  This was the first time that they were willing to merge accounts over the phone rather than forcing me to go down to my local corporate USCC store to physically sign a contract.  Which is nice.  Not so nice is that I had to "commit" to a 2 year contract with up to a $350 cancellation fee.  I actually think that is their standard mumbo jumbo on in contract phones that they are forced to say on each change in service and that the cancellation fee is still on the subsidized equipment and not the voice/data service portion.

To my mind this all reminds me of the evolution of land line service. I'm old and I remember the days that the only way you could buy a phone was to get it from the AT&T store.  Once the government broke up AT&T it quickly changed where you could buy a phone from anywhere and it could be cheap or expensive.  But it was your choice and you had options.  I see evolution of cell service heading to the point where bringing your own device is the norm and only chumps buy their equipment from the "phone company".  I think that soon it will happen that all phones have all bands built in and use the same communication technology. Either because the manufacturers find it more economical or by legislative fiat.

Its just a matter of evolution.

But I digress.  

Hope this saves somebody out there some cash.  I'm happy.

(cools story bro)

I posted the above 13 months ago about evolution of cellular service. Looks like history is going to repeat itself.