So will it be possible to activate the pure edition on USCC?

No USCC carrier availability announced yet. But I would be surprised if we didn't get it.

Shouldn't the pure edition be able to? Its an unlocked phone that supports us cell bands. Trying to work on convincing my wife I need this.

Something interesting I just noticed on the official moto site shows it having a TFT LCD display.

Would of been nice to have an amoled display. Time will tell if it's any good or not.

Something interesting I just noticed on the official moto site shows it having a TFT LCD display.

Would of been nice to have an amoled display. Time will tell if it's any good or not.

Seems AMOLED lended itself nicely to the active display. Odd to go away from that.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

almost the same size as nexus 6 with a smaller battery...

Not really. Only 300mAh smaller. That's like 30 mins of SOT probably or something small. 

I read somewhere that it was the "motorola computing system blah blah blah" which is what really allowed for the active display settings, and not as much the Amoled display.

Given how important that feature is to their software, it seems odd to me that they would chose a new screen (LCD) which wasn't just as battery efficient as the Amoled ones. If Moto is good at one thing, it's optimizing software to get the most out of subpar hardware. 

Given the .2" smaller display versus the Nexus 6, and only 300mAh less, along with a better SOC (the 808 is more energy efficient than the 805) I'm betting any battery life difference would be negligible, if not in the favor of the new X.

I read somewhere that it was the "motorola computing system blah blah blah" which is what really allowed for the active display settings, and not as much the Amoled display.

Given how important that feature is to their software, it seems odd to me that they would chose a new screen (LCD) which wasn't just as battery efficient as the Amoled ones. If Moto is good at one thing, it's optimizing software to get the most out of subpar hardware. 

Given the .2" smaller display versus the Nexus 6, and only 300mAh less, along with a better SOC (the 808 is more energy efficient than the 805) I'm betting any battery life difference would be negligible, if not in the favor of the new X.

I would agree I think. 

I thought part of the Active Display was the ability to have only the pixels needed on instead of having to have the backlight for the whole screen on. Is the new screen able to do that?

I thought part of the Active Display was the ability to have only the pixels needed on instead of having to have the backlight for the whole screen on. Is the new screen able to do that?

They're talking about on an amoled screen a pixel that is pure black (like the major part of the screen in Active Display) does not consume power since it is "off" so to speak.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm reading some places that they have no intention of selling it through carriers, that the only way to get one is outright. Praying this is not the case, while also excited that this may be turning a new leaf into an unexplored paradigm that may be awesome.

I'm reading some places that they have no intention of selling it through carriers, that the only way to get one is outright. Praying this is not the case, while also excited that this may be turning a new leaf into an unexplored paradigm that may be awesome.

USC was willing to activate Nexus 6's bought through Google or Motorola correct? Did anyone actually try it successfully?

USC was willing to activate Nexus 6's bought through Google or Motorola correct? Did anyone actually try it successfully?

Yes. Many people posted here too that they had success from Google Play and Amazon too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

And finally USCC customers can have access to Moto Maker.

I did not see usc as an option in the motomaker Edited by Coolasice

I see on the Motorola site that the 2015 X is coming to USCellular but nothing in the moto maker area...

Ugh. I guess I just assumed since we could order direct through moto. When you assume.....

It sounds like the unlocked pure edition x will be like the nexus 6 in that it will work on any carrier. Grab a sim, call up usc & activate it. A subsidized x may be what we see later for USC specifically. I don't see reason for the unlocked pure edition x not to work on usc's network & usc has shown they will activate unlocked phones.

I'm not big on moto maker. I would just like to see a pure edition x on usc that can be unlocked without voiding a warranty.

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Edited by grad

My understanding (watched Moto's international keynote the other day):

Moto X Pure (2015) will indeed have a microSD card. This has been confirmed. Saying it will not have one is equally as correct in saying it will come without a screen.

No carrier will have it in the store. You can only buy it from Motorola. The phone will work on "all major US carriers."

My thoughts:

What is "all major US carriers"? I left US Cellular 14 months ago, but I consider them a major carrier, and now Android Police does as well. US Cellular used to be ignored by a lot of the Android blogs, but now they're starting to pop up on more and more. US Cellular and Motorola have always been on good terms, so I think US Cellular should be considered a major carrier by Motorola. If they intended to leave US Cellular out, they should say so, but they haven't.

I think phone subsidies need to go away. They're almost always a ripoff. How is it the 2013 Moto X went for $200 on US Cellular, but only cost $400-$450 brand new? That's only $250 off, at max. My HTC One M8 was a $750 phone, and I got it for $200. My subsidy then, was $550. And guess who pays more for the same exact plan. My wife, on US Cellular, even though they only subsidized less than half of her phone. Let's do some math. My Verizon bill is $81.50 a month. Take my $550 subsidy and divide by 24 — that's $22.92 a month that is going to my phone. So if we take that out, my bill becomes $58.58. Not really, of course. Since everyone on the plan pays the same regardless of phone value, the bill is really still $81.50. But say it is. Say it's $60, to round up to a nice even number. Now say you buy the Moto X Pure straight up, $400 out of your pocket. And then you pay $60 a month. That's a savings of... well it's actually $550 if we didn't round, but since we did, it's $516. Either way, it's a bit more than the $400.

However, if these OEMs are going to get serious about dodging carriers and their subsidies, they need to do two things. One, release in March-April to get the people when their tax refunds are coming in (at least in the US, and excluding those who underpay taxes throughout the year and have to pay or don't get a refund, but typically these people make a LOT more money, so they can buy an unsubsidized phone any time of the year), and two, most importantly, especially for Motorola — guarantee updates. That's been a sore spot for Moto since the Electrify 1, maybe longer. And they need to step up to the plate and say, "Since you're spending twice as much money or more up front, we are absolutely going to update the phone ASAP. And mean it.

Either way, it's got to be the future. It also means YOU are the OEM's customer, not your carrier. That means they aim to please you. Who is served by locking the bootloader, and not letting you unlock it? Verizon is the big offender there, and since they're the largest carrier, they just do that for everyone, much of the time. But if you're the customer and you want the bootloader unlocked, there's no longer any reason why you can't have that. And stupid bloatware apps your carrier gets paid to bundle? Also no longer an issue. We're getting dangerously close to iPhone territory, where you get just the stock OS. Motorola sees that. Hopefully the others will follow. Sony is, but Sony also doesn't really sell phones in the US. They have a couple. One on Verizon. About as relevant as Windows Phone (Sony, not Verizon). Not to mention all the Chinese phones that don't work in the US.