It will not be sold at carrier locations.  My understanding is that the only way to get the phone is to buy it from Motorola.  There will only be one version for all US carriers.  It should work on any of them.  Also, this means we *finally* get Moto Maker!

Edit:  so I just said all the things Dark Reality said.

I think the launch date is maybe tomorrow?  Gotta look it up...

Edit 2:  Nope, September 3

Edited by BoгИX

It will not be sold at carrier locations.  My understanding is that the only way to get the phone is to buy it from Motorola.  There will only be one version for all US carriers.  It should work on any of them.  Also, this means we *finally* get Moto Maker!

Edit:  so I just said all the things Dark Reality said.

I think the launch date is maybe tomorrow?  Gotta look it up...

Edit 2:  Nope, September 3

Promising.  Do we have confirmation that USCC will activate it?  

I believe they will.  They do for the Motorola Nexus 6, but then again it seems only begrudgingly.  They do like Motorola though, have had Moto phones for ages, so there is a reasonable amount of hope.

I'm considering either this or the new LG Nexus 5.  Kinda torn.  The laser autofocus and OIS camera of the N5 would be awesome.  But I am in love with Motorola's optimizations.  

The fact they went with the IPS TFT LCD over AMOLED is a bit distressing.  I assumed Active Display needed AMOLED to not kill the battery unnecessarily, as my Active Display fires off all the time unprovoked.  

We shall see.

It will not be sold at carrier locations. My understanding is that the only way to get the phone is to buy it from Motorola. There will only be one version for all US carriers. It should work on any of them. Also, this means we *finally* get Moto Maker!

Edit: so I just said all the things Dark Reality said.

I think the launch date is maybe tomorrow? Gotta look it up...

Edit 2: Nope, September 3

I thought it was going to be available Sept 3rd. Are you hearing something different? I'm antsy to give it a try. I picked up a G3 last November and have been mostly happy. However after trying my daughters OG moto x on lollipop I realize how much I miss the vanilla android with a few awesome Motorola touches. Wonder what my buy out options are on my G3....(Retail installment plan)

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Edited by hilgerone

It will not be sold at carrier locations. My understanding is that the only way to get the phone is to buy it from Motorola. There will only be one version for all US carriers. It should work on any of them. Also, this means we *finally* get Moto Maker!

Edit: so I just said all the things Dark Reality said.

I think the launch date is maybe tomorrow? Gotta look it up...

I thought it was going to be available Sept 3rd. Are you hearing something different? I'm antsy to give it a try. I picked up a G3 last November and have been mostly happy. However after trying my daughters OG moto x on lollipop I realize how much I miss the vanilla android with a few awesome Motorola touches. Wonder what my buy out options are on my G3....(Retail installment plan)

I corrected it in my second exit this morning, sorry for any confusion

Also your options on retail installment are:

1) pay off the device completely at any time and it's yours, you can start a new retail installment then

2) after a year you can trade in the phone you are renting and start a new retail installment with a new device, so November for you

Edited by BoгИX

Well guys, some worrying news has emerged.  TMobile is forcing Motorola (and other OEMs) to stop supporting LTE Band 12 on their devices.  Already the 2015 Moto E has had Band 12 removed in a firmware update to 5.1.1.  

Motorola says this will also affect the Moto X Pure (2015).  US Cellular uses this low frequency 700Mhz band for its long range LTE.  Though there are other LTE bands, US Cellular's coverage isn't perfect, so I'm of the mindset that we need all we can get.  If the new Moto X doesn't have all the bands needed for complete utilization of USCC's network, I'm out.

Keep in mind this only affects UNLOCKED LTE devices, not carrier-branded ones.  So getting a phone through USCC will still have full connectivity.  But since it's looking like the only way to get the device is through Moto's website, it is therefore an unlocked LTE device and will not have Band 12.  

Hopefully this restriction will only last until VoLTE is the norm, as the main argument TMO is making is that they use Band 12 for VoLTE so if a user has a device that cannot do VoLTE, it would show they had signal but they would not be able to place an outgoing call (which if it were an emergency would be bad).  However, that could be quite a while.

This also means that if we get the LG Nexus 5 2015, it will be a no-brainer for me.  Unless somehow USCC gets to sell their own carrier-branded version of the Moto X Pure... hmm

Source:  

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/08/26/why-is-t-mobile-telling-manufacturers-to-remove-band-12-lte-support-from-some-unlocked-smartphones/

Edited by BoгИX

Wow that sucks. I assume the same thing will happen with the Nexus?

No.  The Nexus 6 has VoLTE enabled, so it is not getting the restriction.  Any device with VoLTE enabled is exempt from this policy.  I'm assuming the new nexus will also have VoLTE enabled.

Edit. Reread your above post and answered my own question.

Edited by hilgerone

Not that this means much of anything.

d5efe70240609996fae1fedda4cd190a.jpg

Well, it's called the Moto X Pure Edition in the United States, the Style is the international version.  So that may be part of your problem ;)

But with this Band 12 snafu I may have to jump ship...

I caught that after the fact.  To many Youtube videos running through my head.  Doubt it would have made a difference.

I was under the impression that it'll be activated just like the n6

Hoping that will be the case but I'm not ordering a $400 phone without confirmation. So far I haven't seen or heard a definite yes.

Was told by a employee that was once on the forum that they got a email stating it would be just like the n6. But like with anything uscc you're better off waiting till someone else tries it, because they'll probably tell you 10 different things.

Edited by TokenBlackGuy

Was told by a employee that was once on the forum that they got a email stating it would be just like the n6. But like with anything uscc you're better off waiting till someone else tries it, because they'll probably tell you 10 different things.

I wonder if they are aware of the VoLTE spectrum issue that Bornx referred to a couple of posts back?

The real question here though is whether the Moto X PE will support VoLTE.  Devices that support VoLTE do not get Band 12 removed, it's only those that can't do VoLTE that get nipped.  

Research time!

I know the N6 has band 12 and volte but when (if) will USCC implement it?

My guesses:

VoLTE - Q3 2016

LTE Roaming - Q4 2015

LTE Roaming actually works - ~2017

Cross-carrier activation - Q4 2020

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The real question here though is whether the Moto X PE will support VoLTE. Devices that support VoLTE do not get Band 12 removed, it's only those that can't do VoLTE that get nipped.

Research time!

I'm really interested in what you find out. Glad you are on top of this. I'm wavering back and forth between the X Pure/Style and the Nexus 5 2015 (if we get it) Being able to get the new X straight from Motorola via moto-maker would definitely play into my decision.

It has band 12

But will USCC have a different version?

Bands

GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700 (AWS),1900, 2100 MHz)

CDMA (800, 850, 1900 MHz)

4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 25, 26, 38, 41)

Source:

http://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones/moto-x-pure.html

The issue is that there is a clustermess with T Mobile and their VoLTE on Band 12.  Devices without VoLTE may be connected to Band 12, but cannot make any outgoing calls, and so instead of forcing the device to jump back to 3G or 2G, calls just don't work.  T Mobile has gotten OEMs to remove Band 12 on unlocked Motorolas that aren't TMO-branded that don't have VoLTE. 

So even though the Moto X Pure Edition (2015) is capable of using Band 12 hardware-wise, it all comes down to whether it is VoLTE capable on Tmobile's network.  

Since the only way to get the Moto X PE is through Moto's website, they all are identical, unlocked devices.  If USCC had its own variant, they could enable Band 12 for use on their network, as there would not be any issues with Tmobile's VoLTE, but since there is only one variant this won't be a possibility.

Also, being as how USCC and TMO are the only carriers that use Band 12 LTE, we are the only ones affected.  TMO customers will have slightly less LTE, but they mostly use Band 12 for building penetration anyway.  USCC's LTE is pretty good in my area, but not great, and I will not sacrifice an entire band just because TMO and the FCC are forcing software updates to remove it.  

Everything I've found regarding VoLTE on the new Moto X PE has been contradictory, with the only solid information being that we will know for sure at launch.

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I asked a CSR about the Moto X Pure today and was told they won't activate phones US Cellular doesn't carry. So I wouldn't buy this phone until USC officially confirms otherwise. Maybe they'll become an "activation partner" and allow it anyway? (Moot point if Band 12  doesn't work though.)

I still don't understand why Motorola switched from an OLED display to LCD. Moto Display is now a battery drain. Why not include an optional notification LED? Hopefully the upcoming Nexus phones will be an option...

CSRs aren't really known for reliable info...

I have a hard time believing they KNOW they won't, and even less likely that they were familiar with the Pure at all.

If you asked the same about a VZW Nexus 6 they would say no, even though the answer is a very amusing YES.

Idk, they could be right, but I have grown tired of how exceeding little they actually know about how things work. It's depressing, kinda. VZW reps circled around me when I argued that my USCC N6 would work with just the sim card - they argued for several minutes, but agreed to let me prove it.

It's not just USCC reps, but their info is poor, at best.

I agree on the screen and LED notification, also. I'll bet its there, just disabled, for God knows why.

I don't know enough about screens to make an educated decision but I know that LCD is an older technology, but maybe they have a good reason?