Price is the reason. They were getting their amoleds from Sammy, and to upgrade to QHD they went with the cheaper screen.

We still don't know how they plan to implement Active Display on the device yet. They may have pulled it off with a stroke of genius. I doubt they'd have made the switch and allow Active Display to chew up all the battery.

CSRs aren't really known for reliable info...

I have a hard time believing they KNOW they won't, and even less likely that they were familiar with the Pure at all.

If you asked the same about a VZW Nexus 6 they would say no, even though the answer is a very amusing YES.

Idk, they could be right, but I have grown tired of how exceeding little they actually know about how things work. It's depressing, kinda. VZW reps circled around me when I argued that my USCC N6 would work with just the sim card - they argued for several minutes, but agreed to let me prove it.

It's not just USCC reps, but their info is poor, at best.

I agree on the screen and LED notification, also. I'll bet its there, just disabled, for God knows why.

I don't know enough about screens to make an educated decision but I know that LCD is an older technology, but maybe they have a good reason?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sprint has supposedly sent their reps a brief explanation of the Moto X Pure. However, I do agree with your CSR comment. I once asked them about a potential overheating issue. The "email from tech" they handed me after a 10 minute wait was literally a copied and pasted from the top Google result...

From what I've heard LCD is cheaper and that QHD OLED displays have had quality issues. My theory is that Motorola expects their improved Turbo Charger to make up for the additional drain.

Price is the reason. They were getting their amoleds from Sammy, and to upgrade to QHD they went with the cheaper screen.

We still don't know how they plan to implement Active Display on the device yet. They may have pulled it off with a stroke of genius. I doubt they'd have made the switch and allow Active Display to chew up all the battery.

I assume the Moto X Pure's Moto Display will work similarly to the Moto E.

"One thing to be aware of though is that, since the Moto E has a LCD display, these notifications do not continuously pulsate like on the Moto X (2014). If they did it, it would quickly drain the battery. The notifications do, however, show up when you pick up the phone, and when the notification is initially received." - Android Authority

Edited by NXT3

Interesting that they specifically mention USCC in the article. Not that this really confirms anything.

http://www.androidauthority.com/moto-x-pure-edition-preorder-tomorrow-638556/

Wonder how long it will be before there are X's to be purchased in USCC stores? If at all?

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

They won't, Motorola is only selling the Pure on their website.

Hello. I've visited the site multiple times over the past few years but have never posted anything until now. I messaged USCC via Facebook today asking if they'll activate this device and this is the response I received:

"Hi xxxxx, as a long standing partner, we are working with Motorola to support this device. We'll provide an update as soon as we have one."

Better than "no", I guess. I was going to preorder this phone, but in the meantime I'm going to wait and see what happens with both it and the Nexus 5.

Had an excellent convo with the local corporate tech in store (Cedar Falls location). He knew everything about the new X Pure, all the band's and the phone in and out. He confirmed, bring it in and they will activate. Also no plans to have it in store.

The guy was convincing enough that I'm ordering one. Take that for what it's worth.

Thats good news. I just had a chat with a Motorola rep and she said it has VoLTE enabled across carriers. For whatever that's worth.

As a side note the Moto X Force I'm reading about today just polluted my clear choice waters.

Thats good news. I just had a chat with a Motorola rep and she said it has VoLTE enabled across carriers. For whatever that's worth.

As a side note the Moto X Force I'm reading about today just polluted my clear choice waters.

Great news about VoLTE.  Not that we get to use it, but since it's got VoLTE it will support Band 12 LTE!

The thing to watch out about regarding the Moto X Force is that it may be similar to the Moto Maxx of last year, where Moto had the Droid Turbo on VZW only, while selling the Moto Maxx (same device, different name and radios) abroad only.  Verizon tends to get an exclusive Droid flagship every year, and none has been unveiled yet.  The Play is not going to be this device for Verizon.

Yeah that crossed my mind. Maybe I'll order a Pure today and if nothing else it should have good resale as an unlocked device so long as I don't get it customized too fugly. That cognac leather with all silver trim is calling my name.

Edited by hilgerone

I ordered one also. Projected delivery date is the Oct 2nd. It's for the wife and she wanted the walnut with white. Which set up did you go with Hilgerone?

My first choice was the charcoal ash but my wife has the 2014 with bamboo and it's a little slick. I'm probably going to go without a case as much as possible so I opted to get the slate colored rubbery back with black face and metallic red accents. 64GB. Went with the bigger size because I love using Google photos and it hasn't been playing nice with the SD card on my G3 after the last couple updates. I'm really hoping it gets here ahead of the estimate!

Motorola has confirmed that the Moto X Pure Edition is shipping with Band 12 disabled, but a future software update will enable VoLTE/E911 on T-Mobile's network, which will allow them to unlock Band 12 at that time.  No time frame yet.

I wonder if there's any way they could have disabled Band 12 just for TMO and not for us?  I kinda doubt it.

Until Band 12 is unlocked, I won't be getting this phone...  :/

Although there is some talk on XDA about editing NV values, it's probably not be worth the risk.

Also, some USCC rep somewhere said NO, they will not activate this device.  I believe they will, just as they are confused about N6 activations sometimes, but there's only one way to find out:  somebody trying until it either happens or doesn't.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/e570e4be47?commentId=978408#978408

Luckily there is a good return policy! I'll see what happens when I get it. I guess I'm not to worried about them activating it. But the band 12 thing could be problematic. "Future update" isn't really much reassurance.

I'm really hoping to see this phone become a decent option because it is upgrade time and being a long time Sammy user I don't like the new Samsung devices, so I am ready to give moto a try. I like the idea of an unlocked device and hopefully this practice will become the norm because it just makes so much more sense to get a phone this way.

Motorola has confirmed that the Moto X Pure Edition is shipping with Band 12 disabled, but a future software update will enable VoLTE/E911 on T-Mobile's network, which will allow them to unlock Band 12 at that time. No time frame yet.

I wonder if there's any way they could have disabled Band 12 just for TMO and not for us? I kinda doubt it.

Until Band 12 is unlocked, I won't be getting this phone... :/

Although there is some talk on XDA about editing NV values, it's probably not be worth the risk.

So I started a chat with tech support at Motorola.com and they said Band 12 would be enabled when I specifically asked about it explaining why it was important with US Cellular. I wonder if they talk to each other there? It took her a bit to find the answer so I assume she asked someone a bit higher up the chain.

Or is it simply them trying to sell a phone?

The left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing?

The way I understand it from the interwebs, including from Motorola's support team and people with device in hand, is that the band is disabled at unboxing and will be enabled with a software update in the future.  But let's find out for sure!  There's probably an easy way to tell once you get it activated.