weberr90

How do I get a USCC GS4 onto Vzw?

Hey guys, my Mom is on a prepaid Verizon account, and her phone sucks. I'd like to see if there is a way I can get my old USCC GS4 to work on Verizon.

I'm assuming the steps would go something like..

1. Get USCC to unlock the phone

2. Flash Verizon GS4 software

3. Update other settings not covered by Vzw stock rom

4. Insert Verizon SIM

5. Dial *228

Anyone ever tried this, and if so, what step(s) am I missing (if it's even possible). Thanks! 

It's not that easy.  Also, it will not have full functionality, i.e. no 4G and reduced coverage for everything else.  Some bands overlap between USCC and VZW but not all, so it would only have coverage from the bands that did overlap.

Never flash the VZW firmware to the USCC device, this will brick it.  

Got it, alright doesn't sound like that is a possibility then

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah - it's not that easy, and unfortunately some people blindly believe that it is - prior to researching it - and wind up with a fancy paperweight.

Now... typically it can be recovered - but if they were not smart enough to know what they were doing to begin with, they're not smart enough to know how to fix it.  You asked first, that's smart.

I tested this exact same thing (aside from flashing firmware) - it shows signal, but nothing works.

Side note:

If you have the phone unlocked, that does NOT mean you can now magically flash other carrier firmware.

Repeat

You can NOT flash other carrier firmware after it's unlocked.  You HAVE to still use USCC firmware, otherwise your phone will cease to function.

...Waiting for the *next* dumdum to come in saying they can and have done it - then I'll watch as they fail.  Again.

OP (Weberr) - I am NOT talking about you as the "dumdum" - the only dumdums are the ones who say they did it, but are lying.

Hey guys, my Mom is on a prepaid Verizon account, and her phone sucks. I'd like to see if there is a way I can get my old USCC GS4 to work on Verizon.

4. Insert Verizon SIM

5. Dial *228

Anyone ever tried this, and if so, what step(s) am I missing (if it's even possible). Thanks! 

No, do NOT dial *228.

It will ruin your SIM, Verizons SIM cards update automatically.

You're overcomplicating the procedure, it goes like this:

1. Get USCC to unlock phone

2. Insert Verizon SIM

3. ???

4. PROFIT!

It will work but you will have limited LTE support compared to the original Verizon phone. 3G and 1x voice/data will work perfectly fine though without any issues.

Edited by SBJ1998

4. Insert Verizon SIM

5. Dial *228

No, do NOT dial *228.

It will ruin your SIM, Verizons SIM cards update automatically.

You're overcomplicating the procedure, it goes like this:

1. Get USCC to unlock phone

2. Insert Verizon SIM

3. ?

4. PROFIT!

It will work but you will have limited LTE support compared to the original Verizon phone. 3G and 1x voice/data will work perfectly fine though without any issues.

Won't just putting in a Verizon Sim only give you limited functionality on the phone?

Have you done this yourself?

Good to know. Will that give me full LTE and 3g bands?

Alright, well that pretty much eliminates the need for that phone then. Thanks for the info guys.