Zenzr

Note 5 Stock Firmware

Still no luck with a custom kernel to support root or custom recovery, yet.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

BTW... Not sure about this 5.0 OGE file..I have tried Odin flashing it, and got a fail every time

I am wondering about there being a security aspect keeping you from downgrading

Samsung is finicky about downgrading.  Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.  Sometimes it bricks your phone and the only way back is to use a JTAG.  At least that's how it was with the S3.

Edited by BoгИX

They should, as long as you flash a kernel that is SELinux permissive, then flash SuperSU. Not sure where you'd find the kernel though.

Edit:  I'm less inclined to think it'll work after looking at the internet.  It seems like these 6.0.1 - 6.0.1 updates from Sammy have been patching the kernel to make it harder to set SELinux to permissive.  

Also, downgrading is not always an option with Samsungs, but if something goes wrong you can always flash the latest to recover.

Edited by BoгИX

getting a note 5 delivered from us cellular today.

its used and am not sure what version of android is on it.

thinking about rooting but I see almost every carrier has Android N (7.0) update.

is us cellular going to be releasing this update to 7.0?

I'm sure they will since the Note 5 is still within the update timeframe.

But i have no clue when.

Just checked Samfirm and it's still listing 6.0.1 PL1 as the latest release.  So... idk

getting a note 5 delivered from us cellular today.

its used and am not sure what version of android is on it.

thinking about rooting but I see almost every carrier has Android N (7.0) update.

is us cellular going to be releasing this update to 7.0?

is QD1 really 6.0.1 or is it the 7.0 android

it's 6.0 - i uploaded it myself.  

If GSM carriers and international have it, but not CDMA carriers (which is mostly typical) it's not surprising.

proof it's 6.0 not 7.0:

Capture.PNG

Then idk - theres no way anyone here can know.  It's on USCC to release it, we cant make them do it or hurry it along, it is what it is - wait, i guess?

can someone verify if root still works and if it does make a short guide process of the exact files names to use with links.

cant wait for 7.0 without root for that long

i waited for a bit already thinking 7.0 was gonna be released but instead just a 6.0.1 update :(

yes

the links are dead

no kernel either

that is why I asked for exact file names and or links

22 hours ago, iR1O said:

did you even try this?

http://teamuscellular.com/Forum/topic/8945-601-root-custom-recovery-xposed/

I'm sure the original method still works, it always has, it's just if samsung broke something between then and now (same android version, so im guessing not)

Google is your friend (you dont need a kernel i don't think)

Odin

TWRP

SuperSU

use the same method as every single samsung, ever.   Took 5 minutes to find all of it. 

If the original method doesnt work, then idk. The links are to the newest and most up to date versions available. 

On 5/16/2017 at 8:53 AM, tdbone1 said:

yes

the links are dead

no kernel either

that is why I asked for exact file names and or links

You only need a kernel to root using the traditional "non-systemless" (systemfull?) mode.  Installing any version of SuperSU above version 2.60 (most recent is v2.79 SR3) through TWRP will root systemlessly and does not need a special kernel, because the SuperSU zip will modify your boot.img (kernel) to set SELinux appropriately.

If you'd rather, you can use CF AutoRoot.  This will also root your device systemlessly, modifying your boot.img appropriately, but can be done through Odin.  Download it here:  https://download.chainfire.eu/845/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-noblelteusc-noblelteusc-smn920r4.zip

Unzip the file, boot to download mode, launch Odin, connect your phone, put "CF-Auto-Root-noblelteusc-noblelteusc-smn920r4.tar.md5" into the AP slot (used to be PDA), and flash it.

Easy peasy.  I literally spent 3 minutes after googling "how to root note 5 xda" to find all of this information.  It took me longer to type this up than it did to figure all that out about a device I've never even owned.

You only need a kernel to root using the traditional "non-systemless" (systemfull?) mode.  Installing any version of SuperSU above version 2.60 (most recent is v2.79 SR3) through TWRP will root systemlessly and does not need a special kernel, because the SuperSU zip will modify your boot.img (kernel) to set SELinux appropriately.

If you'd rather, you can use CF AutoRoot.  This will also root your device systemlessly, modifying your boot.img appropriately, but can be done through Odin.  Download it here:  https://download.chainfire.eu/845/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-noblelteusc-noblelteusc-smn920r4.zip

Unzip the file, boot to download mode, launch Odin, connect your phone, put "CF-Auto-Root-noblelteusc-noblelteusc-smn920r4.tar.md5" into the AP slot (used to be PDA), and flash it.

Easy peasy.  I literally spent 3 minutes after googling "how to root note 5 xda" to find all of this information.  It took me longer to type this up than it did to figure all that out about a device I've never even owned.

Moral of the story? Google It!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk