Indie

LG Nexus 5x and 6p HYPE THREAD

If they don't support it, then I just get to switch to Verizon a little quicker than I planned to.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Is there a way to finance the 6p?

You can finance through Huawei's site, but I believe there is a 12 month 10% APR, so it's not as good as the finance options through Fi (which is 24 month 0% APR). Also, they only have the aluminum and graphite colors.

http://www.gethuawei.com/nexus6p

You won't have to pay taxes, so that will save you some money though...

True. I wouldn't mind the 24month option. ~$30 a month.

Yeah, but when you figure that you can probably sell your Nexus 6 for at least $250 (or $300 if you have the 64 gb) then you're left with only paying ~$250...which is what we paid for the Nexus 6 when it was subsidized through USCC to begin with.

That's how I'm justifying it to myself anyway...haha

That's true I suppose. Though I don't know if I want to sell mine yet. I may keep it as a backup.

Now you can finance it with nothing down on the Google Fi Project site. They are now handing out invites there, You the do have to sign up for Fi but can cancel after the first month at least that is what a Google employee said. It was said you can continue using the cell phone and making the payments. I  like the 64GB model which is around $24 or something like that.

I've searched the forums and don't know where I should post this or if it's already been posted but I have a family member with a 5X successfully activated on USCC-- just took it in and they activated it no problem. Just posting this confirmation for those who want a 5X!

I got the Nexus 5x in the mail yesterday.  Trying out Fi.  Currently have the LG G3 on US Cell.  Been a customer of US Cellular for 17 years (started as Cellular One technically before they sold the bottom half of WI to USC), but I travel enough that the lack of home signal in much of the U.S. makes USC lacking.  If Fi doesn't work for me, I'm not sure if I'll keep the 5x or G3 on USC.  If Fi works, I'll be out of USC with a G3 to sell.

So if anyone has any Q's for me about the device itself (or the Fi service, if that's allowed here), I'd be happy to answer Q's.

The one thing to take note of is that it comes with a usb c-to-c cable and a 5 volt, 3 amp usb c charger.  It does NOT support Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0, so any old chargers will only supply 10 amps, not the quick-charge power necessary -- not to mention that it's a different connection on both ends, so anyone without usb c who wants to buy this phone probably wants to start acquiring cheap usb c cables, chargers, and/or adapters.

24.89 GB usable space on my 32 GB version.

Good lord thats all the more internal you have after the OS or do you have a boat load of apps/pics on it!?

Or is it vanilla out of the box like that?

Good lord thats all the more internal you have after the OS or do you have a boat load of apps/pics on it!?

Or is it vanilla out of the box like that?

Right now, I am using 3.27 GB of 24.89 GB.  So no, my apps and whatnot are not part of the 7+ GB "lost" from phone capacity.

I know when I downloaded M, it was the first of the full IMG files that was actually over a full GB, but definitely not 7 gb worth of stuff! Really glad I opted for the 64 gb. 

So I am sending my 5X back. It has a fatal flaw, at least in my opinion. Long story short, it has an issue with WiFi. Inconsistent performance (ping times).

For the non-tl;dr version:

I can ping google.com with my LG G3 and get consistent times (40 - 60 ms) on WiFi. When I ping google.com on the Nexus 5X, I get wildly inconsistent ping times, sometimes in the 40-60 ms range, and other times in the hundreds of ms. If I then turn off the WiFi and ping google.com on the LTE network, I get consistent 60-80 ms ping times.

Same tests pinging my WiFi AP and router, both 2.4 GHz N and 5 GHz N. I even tried an old B/G router with the same results. My G3 would ping consistently under 20 ms (when connected on 2.4 GHz) to the router or the AP (it misbehaved the same way as the 5X when on the 5 GHz, however), but the 5X would send some of the ping times into the hundreds. For reference, when I ping my router or AP via my Windows 7 laptop on WiFi, I get < 1ms, so it's not a slow network, there's just something in Android or the app I was using that was causing ping times in the double digits when I would otherwise expect them to be < 1 ms.

The reason I even looked into this is because doing speedtests via the Ookla Speedtest app, I was coming up with terrible results on the 5X when my other devices were all doing just fine. So it was causing noticeable performance problems.

So I had my buddy show up with his non-Fi Nexus 5X to do some side-by-side testing.  His phone did the same thing as mine, albeit seemingly not as severe.  Where I would see ping times sometimes in the 200-400 ms range, his highs generally stayed in the 90-120 ms range.

I upgraded my Nexus 7 (2013) manually to Marshmallow (wiping the old completely in the process) and it exhibits none of these problems. Silky smooth, so it's a problem with the phone specifically. Makes me wonder how the 6P performs.

My hype is quickly turning into frustration - I ordered from Huawei and here are the issues they are failing to address:

1. I was already charged for a phone that hasn't shipped (I can understand it tho, I'll let this one slide)

2. They don't know when it WILL ship, even though it says it has shipped, it hasn't, and they have no idea when it will.

3. No tracking number for a "shipped" phone in 5 days (3 working days)

4. No confirmation emails - of ANY kind in regards to my order or it's status - I have to log into their site to see anything/updates.

5. Live chat and calling in are fantastically useless - their support is pure and utter shi* - they just repeat themselves over and over without actually answering any questions.

If I don't have a tracking number for my "shipped" phone by the time I get to work tomorrow I'm canceling it through my CC company (since Huawei refuses to cancel an order that has falsely shipped...?) - and I told them this on multiple occasions - but they just repeated it again "it will ship either today, tomorrow, or later this week" - which means, precisely, dick.

My middle finger is extended to them, they are far from prepared and even further from anything resembling helpful - my order is probably sitting on a pallet in a warehouse somewhere and, to them, that earns it the labeling of "shipped" - even though they said that it MAY ship by next week.

Hardly my idea of a good experience. 

I'm still considering a 6P (when shipping becomes consistent) but have completely ruled out the 5X for two reasons. First is size/bezels, the device is the same size as a LG G3 with a smaller lower rez screen. Second and the real deal breaker is lack of DUAL FRONT FACING SPEAKERS. Wow I love them. Honestly, I could overlook the six if it had em.... Just my two cents.

Moto X Pure via Tapatalk 4.9.5

Edited by mweba

Well - They still have no information on the phones from Huawei - calling my CC company now. 

If only they weren't such morons.

MAYBE this would end differently.

Well - They still have no information on the phones from Huawei - calling my CC company now. 

If only they weren't such morons.

MAYBE this would end differently.

Mine just finally listed as shipped last night. I hope they don't pull the same bullsh*t with my order...I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of calling my debit card company.

With my luck, you'll probably still get your's sooner than I get mine even after cancelling and reordering from Google. haha.

So far I've spoken with another person who ordered one Nexus and has already gotten it, he wanted to get Nexus protect so he is sending it back and ordered another one with the protection and he will have it by tomorrow.

Just to give you an idea. He has ordered two and has received one and will receive the other before mine even ships.

He ordered directly from Google

So far I've spoken with another person who ordered one Nexus and has already gotten it, he wanted to get Nexus protect so he is sending it back and ordered another one with the protection and he will have it by tomorrow.

Just to give you an idea. He has ordered two and has received one and will receive the other before mine even ships.

He ordered directly from Google

Did your CC company give you any grief? I've only ever had to deal with a lost/stolen card, but never reporting a single purchase where the vendor was not making good on their part of the deal. 

Oh no.

They go to bat for you hardcore. I told them what happened, they said OK they will contact them on my behalf to attempt a resolution, should that result in the same info I gave them, they (huawei) get a $25 fee and I get my money back.

End of story.

CC companies go hard for their customers if the retailer does anything even KINDA messed up.

^^ exactly. That's why they're always willing to be the "enforcer" so to speak - if you can't get anywhere with the merchant, let them whip the long d**k of the law at them by just pulling it out from under them.

If you can't do it, they'll either get it figured out or you'll be refunded - cut and dry - no back and forth and no bickering - its really nice how it works when you need it.

^^ exactly. That's why they're always willing to be the "enforcer" so to speak - if you can't get anywhere with the merchant, let them whip the long d**k of the law at them by just pulling it out from under them.

If you can't do it, they'll either get it figured out or you'll be refunded - cut and dry - no back and forth and no bickering - its really nice how it works when you need it.

As much as everyone likes to cry and complain about big banks and big corps. CC companies are generally pretty quick to fight along side you as long as you're being honest. They've taken a lot of steps to help me out in the past. One of the few places I generally hang up the phone pleased.