michaelschafer

At home cell signal enhancers - specifically those from WeBoost

Anyone have real world experience with using one on US Cellular?

I get a fairly crappy signal in my home - and constantly experience issues with SMS and MMS messages not sending - they'll just sit there at "Sending..." and half the time they will fail and I have to tap-to-retry 2-3 times to get it sent.   I also have issues with not receiving phone calls - my phone will be laying on the table next to me and "Beep" I've got a new voicemail message from someone who just tried to call and my phone never rang.

I had this problem with my Samsung Note 3 and upgraded to a Nexus 6 two weeks ago and the problem didn't go away - it's not as bad as it was on the Note 3, but it's still occurring on a daily basis.   I saw an ad for these signal enhancers from WeBoost but haven't found a whole lot online specifically regarding them and US Cellular.   I don't need 4G speeds in my home as I'm on WiFi when I'm there, but not sure how the 3G vs. 4G will affect (if at all) the SMS and MMS messages.   Thought I would ask the experts here before I spend that kind of money...

I use an older WeBoost booster from the Wilson Electronics era of the company. It's just a 3G booster but it does occasionally allow us to connect 4G but it's only temporary. It works great if you can see the tower you connect to or if you cannot then you will be hunting for the signal until you find the sweet spot. They are expensive but you may be able to find a used one (which is what I have, due to the cost) for possibly a decent price.

It boosts our service from nothing, literally no service whatsoever unless your in a window and then it's only a bar if that, no data whatsoever either. With the booster we connect generally on 3G and its extremely reliable. The only downside to the system is that if the power goes out then the system will not work.

I found a used WeBoost Home 3G on ebay for $156 shipped.  I got it today, hooked it up and put the "outdoor" antenna inside an upstairs window - facing the closest cell tower, then ran the cable downstairs, plugged it all in and I went from an average of -114 to -109 dBm to numbers between -89 and -79 dBm inside my house.

I've had no problems sending MMS messages since hooking this up (it's only been a couple of hours, so perhaps too early to claim it fixes everything), but it appears it's actually working!

Edited by michaelschafer